4x4 Trails in a Kia

Default 4x4 Trails in a Kia

Hi Guys

Lets hear about 4x4 trails or echo trails completed in your Kia.
    Ive done the Baviaans , Gamkas kloof , Barraka in Parys and completed the Dewildt 4x4 trail this weekend (4/6/2010) in my Sorento.I know this is probable quite easy trails but if you dont take the by-passes they can be a challenge.

I decided not to do "Gert se klip" and the mud holes as i am not really a
    experienced 4x4 driver , but was able to do the rest of the chalenges quite easy.The LSD worked very well and the axel twisters was no match for the Sorento.
    I even tried their new 4x4 training track.The drop was easy but i was not able to cimb it out again as my tow bar reduced my angle and plouged into the concrete on pull away.

Last edited by Edgar-Sorento; 2013/05/01 at 08:37 PM.

Edgar,

Dit klink fantasties. Watter model is jou Sorento. Ek was nog altyd te bang vir so iets

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Wilklein View Post
    Edgar,

Dit klink fantasties. Watter model is jou Sorento. Ek was nog altyd te bang vir so iets

Willie
    Ek het die 2005 EX petrol model en al modifikasie is n old man emu suspension wat my so bietjie hoogte gegee het.En nee wat man jy hoef glad nie bang te wees nie.Meeste van die moeilike plekke het bypasse wat jy kan neem en oor die algemeen as jy dit stadig doen en dink wat jy doen sal jy verbaas wees hoe maklik dit is.Ek beveel graag enige iemand aan wat nuut is in die dinge om n basiese kurses te volg wat jou ook meer sal leer oor wat jou voetuig in staat is.
    Ek sal sodra ek kan n paar foto's en clips opsit.
    Last edited by Edgar-Sorento; 2010/06/07 at 08:32 PM.

Barakah ? Well done i got stuck in the mud on the way to the first obstacle
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 Auto (7.7km/l)
    2008 Honda Civic 2.2TDCi (15.8km/l)
    Ex 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto (7.0km/l)
    Ex Range Rover 4.6 HSE (7.5km/l)
    Ex Honda CRV 2.2 TDCi (12.5km/l)
    Ex Ford Courier 3.0 DC 4x4 (7.5km/l)
    Avis Toyota Yaris 4x4,F1 GP, Drift champ (eish)
    http://photo.net/photos/Adriaan

Quote Originally Posted by AdriaanO View Post
    Barakah ? Well done i got stuck in the mud on the way to the first obstacle
    Than i was quite lucky as we had some dry weather.We skipped the Rino part of the trail as i was not prepared to risk dammage to the Sorrie
    The water crossings was for me the most scary part as i know this is always a high risk.

rastafox Guest

We traversed Lesotho from Sani to Sehlabathebe in our Kia in february, the little monster didn't blink an eye. Some of the "roads" were virtual donkey tracks, but the little Kia just marched on and whats more despite plenty of low-range work in places we averaged almost 8 km/l.

Quote Originally Posted by rastafox View Post
    We traversed Lesotho from Sani to Sehlabathebe in our Kia in february, the little monster didn't blink an eye. Some of the "roads" were virtual donkey tracks, but the little Kia just marched on and whats more despite plenty of low-range work in places we averaged almost 8 km/l.
    Great stuff Rastafox

Im still planning to do that route but due to high rainfalls in Feb we canceled and headed to the Cape.
    Did you have to do any river crossings?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar-Sorento View Post
    Than i was quite lucky as we had some dry weather.We skipped the Rino part of the trail as i was not prepared to risk dammage to the Sorrie
    The water crossings was for me the most scary part as i know this is always a high risk.
    Can you imagine how the Kia would go through water with a snorkel fitted.
    Seriously, glad you are enjoying your vehicle.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

rastafox Guest

Edgar

Was fairly dry with only a few splash points. The route is brilliant with a great mix of scenery, solitude and some interesting sections. We really enjoyed it and the little Kia lapped it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar-Sorento View Post
    Ek het die 2005 EX petrol model en al modifikasie is n old man emu suspension wat my so bietjie hoogte gegee het.En nee wat man jy hoef glad nie bang te wees nie.Meeste van die moeilike plekke het bypasse wat jy kan neem en oor die algemeen as jy dit stadig doen en dink wat jy doen sal jy verbaas wees hoe maklik dit is.Ek beveel graag enige iemand aan wat nuut is in die dinge om n basiese kurses te volg wat jou ook meer sal leer oor wat jou voetuig in staat is.
    Ek sal sodra ek kan n paar foto's en clips opsit.
    Haai Edgar,
    hoe werk die Old Man Emu vir jou....ek het 2004 2.5 CRDi en doen nogal redelik goed vand die pad af met sy standaard suspensie maar dit is bietjie laag ....sou graag wou bietjie hoogte kry.....ek is baie lief vir die voertuig
    Tarzan

Dit was nou glad ni e'n goeie ding dat ek hierdie thread gelees het nie. Nou jeuk my dinges van voor af. Ek het net gister gekyk na 'n 2nd hand Sorento - 2.5CRDi.

Was bietjie skrikkerig oor die sagte suspensie. (nie geweet daar is OME beskikbaar vir hom nie)

Ek het ook nog nie berakah gery nie (maar wil baie graag) Lyk nogal na 'n lekker uitdagende roete....

As ek een vraag mag vra (sorryas ek die thread hi-jack)

Hoe lyk die KW en NM syfers op die 2.5CRDi en die 3.5 V6?

Ek is van mening dat KIA baie goeie voertuie bou!! baie bly om te hoor dat hulle ook hulle man kan staan in die veld....

LEON! Watchit!
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    LEON! Watchit!
    Hey, Ek kon na 'n TATA safari gaan kyk het......

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Haai Edgar,
    hoe werk die Old Man Emu vir jou....ek het 2004 2.5 CRDi en doen nogal redelik goed vand die pad af met sy standaard suspensie maar dit is bietjie laag ....sou graag wou bietjie hoogte kry.....ek is baie lief vir die voertuig
    Tarzan
    Tarzan

My Swaer het die 2007 2.5 sonder die OME en hy staan baie laer as myne.Ek het al verskeie slegte(Of goeie plekke vir 4x4) gery en die hoogte wat die OME my gee was elke keer voldoende.My nose bar en tou bar is gewoonlik die probleem.
    Die suspensie laat ook die voertuig beter voel op die pad en om draaie.
    Ek spook nog om agter te kom hoe om foto's te plaas maar belowe dit sal wel gedoen word.

Edgar

Quote Originally Posted by leonlieb View Post
    Dit was nou glad ni e'n goeie ding dat ek hierdie thread gelees het nie. Nou jeuk my dinges van voor af. Ek het net gister gekyk na 'n 2nd hand Sorento - 2.5CRDi.

Was bietjie skrikkerig oor die sagte suspensie. (nie geweet daar is OME beskikbaar vir hom nie)

Ek het ook nog nie berakah gery nie (maar wil baie graag) Lyk nogal na 'n lekker uitdagende roete....

As ek een vraag mag vra (sorryas ek die thread hi-jack)

Hoe lyk die KW en NM syfers op die 2.5CRDi en die 3.5 V6?

Ek is van mening dat KIA baie goeie voertuie bou!! baie bly om te hoor dat hulle ook hulle man kan staan in die veld....
    Ek sleep nogal lekker met myne maar die diesel het natuurlik meer krag.Ek was op n stadium spyt dat ek nie die diesel gevat het nie.

The 2.5-litre turbodiesel engine

Sorento was the first car to make use of Kia's modern 2.5-litre four-cylinder turbodiesel engine incorporating Bosch technology. This new common-rail unit has been designed for effortless driveability, exceptional smoothness, minimal vibration and low noise characteristics. It develops 138bhp at 3800 rpm and a muscular 343lb ft of torque from 1850 to 2500rpm, making it ideal for off-road work with either the five-speed manual gearbox or the sports H-matic five-speed automatic.

The manual has a combined economy figure of 36.7mpg and carbon dioxide emissions of 204g/km, while the automatic returns a highly respectable 33.6mpg and produces 223g/km of CO2. The auto has fractionally the quicker 0-62mph acceleration (14.5 seconds against 14.6 for the manual). Their respective top speeds are 104 and 106mph.

The 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine

Hot on the heels of the diesel Sorento, Kia launched the high performance 24-valve 3.5-litre V6 petrol version. It is available in XS and XT specification and comes with a five-speed automatic gearbox with manual mode as standard. Paul Williams, Managing Director of Kia Motors (UK) Ltd, said: "While the fuel-efficient diesel is the biggest seller in the UK, it is very much in keeping with the style of the vehicle to offer a powerful and refined petrol derivative. The 3.5-litre V6 is ideally suited to the car."The V6 has twin overhead camshafts and has been designed for exceptionally smooth power delivery. The engine delivers a maximum 192bhp at 5500rpm, and 294Nm of torque at 3000rpm.

That is sufficient to take it from 0-62 in 10.2 seconds and on to a top speed of 119mph, yet it returns a socially acceptable 23.7mpg in the combined consumption test. Its CO2 emissions of 286g/km are better than average for a large, V6-engined, petrol-fuelled premium SUV.

Edgar

Met my 2008 Sorento CRDi outomaties het ek al Van Zyl's pas gery nadat ek Koni skokbrekers en H&R kronkel vere laat installeer het. Al nadeel van my model is dat die LSD niks beteken nie en die voertuig tot stilstand kom met twee teenoorstaande wiele in die lug. Gelukkig kon ek telkens uit die moeilikheid kom deur agteruit te ry en effens vinniger oor die hindernis te ry. Die Sorento is egter steeds 'n baie goeie 4x4.

EDGAR

I have not done any well know trials but we have the backyard which is 3400 hectares and my little Kia holds its own - the past weekend being only one of two vehicles that made it through the marsh at the end of the day.

I have invited forum members on my previous fred for 10/10/2010 get together but it seems the guys are too busy or nobody runs standard 4x4s here in Pretoria.

Our trail consists of all sorts of natural obstacles mostly mud, sand and bumps.

In any case I enjoy her a lot but big sister is getting fixed. I hope she does not let me down. As I expect great things from her Landy Series II 2.8 Diesel. But the Kia is going to be a hard act to follow...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6533.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	72242

Name:	IMG_6490.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	72243

Name:	IMG_6297.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	72244
    Now a 3.2 Auto - BT-50, long range tank, Mazda branded re-placement bumper, Duel battery, Takla Seat covers, Rebuilt Engine, upgraded Inter cooler, upgraded Billet Turbo, Madman EMS. Coming soon upgraded Exhaust and small lift.
    Used to have - Kia Sportage MY 2002 Missus Hence (Little4by4)
    Used to have - Discovery 2 TD5 ES. Lifted - Spaced, Bigger wheels, Up-rated springs, Dual Bat, Inverter, Roof Rack, and much more... (The Blue Tank) Miss her badly....

Quote Originally Posted by Rensen View Post
    Met my 2008 Sorento CRDi outomaties het ek al Van Zyl's pas gery nadat ek Koni skokbrekers en H&R kronkel vere laat installeer het. Al nadeel van my model is dat die LSD niks beteken nie en die voertuig tot stilstand kom met twee teenoorstaande wiele in die lug. Gelukkig kon ek telkens uit die moeilikheid kom deur agteruit te ry en effens vinniger oor die hindernis te ry. Die Sorento is egter steeds 'n baie goeie 4x4.
    Ek stem dat die LSD nie nastenby "perform" soos n dif lock nie , maar nadat ek my dif olie vervang het het ek n groot verbetering opgelet.
    Deur my handrem ook so paar clicks optetel kon ek meeste van die kere maklik deur n slegte hindernis deurkom.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by little4by4 View Post
    EDGAR

I have not done any well know trials but we have the backyard which is 3400 hectares and my little Kia holds it’s own - the past weekend being only one of two vehicles that made it through the marsh at the end of the day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great stuff!!
    Marshlands can sometimes be tricky to navigate through without getting stuck.I can see that you injoy your vehicle.
    Last edited by Edgar-Sorento; 2010/12/05 at 02:07 PM.