Clutch pedal Stuck rock solid - Defender tdi

Default Clutch pedal Stuck rock solid - Defender tdi

Seems this is the weekend that my 98 tdi defender decided to throw a few issues my way . Firstly the headlights and now my clutch pedal is stuck rock solid in the high position.

Put the clutch in at a robot, released the clutch and tried to put it back in to put into first to pull off and bam stuck rock rock solid.

From reading on the net if the pedal is stuck like this in the high position it is likely that the clutch operating arm pivot has punched through the clutch operating arm. This is very common and a well known problem.

From looking at the manual under clutch:
    clutch operating arm pivot = Release lever pivot post
    clutch operating arm = Release lever
    Correct?

Anyway has anyone had this issue before? What was the cause if not the above? What else could be the problem?

Thanks in advance

my net reference: http://forum.landrovernet.com/showth...as-a-stone....

some pics i found on net:
    Last edited by frogstar; 2010/06/06 at 04:12 PM.

It happened to my Defender as well,but as far as I can remember the peddle was flat against the floor.I bought a new clutch fork and welded a thick washer over the pivot point to strenthen it.
    Jeep Cherokee CRD
    BMW 1200 GS Adv

Happend to me on my Discovery 200 Tdi. Seams to be a common issue. Like Rabobi suggests a welded washer or something to strengthen the piece.

wear and tear
    that knuckle should be greased but really, with clutches lasting so long, the likelyhood of the box coming out more than once in 200 000km is highly unlikely. i like the washer idea as a repair but that is only possible when the box is out.
    i think this is something LR can engineer a long term solution for in future models.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

@ Rabobi, thanks ja all the reports on the internet have had the pedal in the High position.

I'll have my car towed tomorrow to a clutch place in montague the previous owner recommended cause it is a job that is a little too much for me i think.

Guys on the net recommend changing the clutch kit while you at it, what do you think about that?

oh i take it the clutch operating arm is what you are refering to as the clutch fork?

Yes ,the clutch operating arm is what broke on mine,it also punched through on the pivot point,I had the clutch replaced about a year before it happened so I did the job myself so I could see for myself what was wrong.It is a big job to replace the operating arm so for peace of mind I would really recomend strenthening the new one before it is fitted.
    Jeep Cherokee CRD
    BMW 1200 GS Adv

Yep, this happened to me in December. Put the clutch in to change gears, pedal stayed down, used my toes to lift pedal, then it was rock solid, could not depress. Problem was exactly as shown in the top picture. Had the whole clutch re-done including a strengthened fork. They weld a small bracket behind the pivot point.

Thanks Vermyn

What did it cost you and where did you get it done?

Frogstar
    Have replied to your pm with the details.

Hi guys

As expected it was the darn fork as detailed above. Had a new clutch kit put in at the same time, flywheel skimmed etc.

An extremely nausiating R4.3k later . Trimway Brake and Clutch in Kilarney Gardens.

Anyway its done now and hopefully good for another 250 000km

realistically the R4300 it cost you is not far out of line with other vehicles.
    there are many out there where R 7.5 is not far fetched for a clutch job. many Land Rover guys ask R 2000 just to take the box out and replace. the Land Rover clutch also lasts a lot longer that that of other vehicles.
    as said, at least you will get another 250 000km from this one as well.

Even welding a piece of flat bar onto the back of the fork helps to support the pivot point. Been doing this for years with success. Shooting myself in the foot methinks. I would rather keep you chaps in your Tdi's as i get withdrawells if i don't drive my own. Deal with your vehicle issues 1 at a time and she'll be faithfull.

'04 Td5110D/C (SOLD)
    '98 Tdi HARDTOP (SOLD)
    SUZUKI BANDIT - LOOKING FOR A DEFENDER

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcanic View Post
    Even welding a piece of flat bar onto the back of the fork helps to support the pivot point. Been doing this for years with success. Shooting myself in the foot methinks. I would rather keep you chaps in your Tdi's as i get withdrawells if i don't drive my own. Deal with your vehicle issues 1 at a time and she'll be faithfull.
    may be having a blond moment but on some vehicles it is possible to extract the fork through the side of the box without removing. can't remember if this is possible with the Defender.

Default Clutch pedal sticky and gears not selecting

Hi Guys, I'm having a similar issue. On a few occasions now I have not been able to select gears, after pumping clutch managed to force into a gear then all good. Now the pedal itself is staying down only releasing a little, again more pumping and it releases? Just had the gearbox serviced (less than 6 months) and replaced clutch and flywheel about 2 years ago??

Could it be the clutch again or the cylinders, no leak detected and reservior is good.
    01 Defender 110 TD5

Hi Ewie110

Does not sound like clutch fork to me because when that pushes through there is no ways you will budge that clutch pedal.

more likely your master & slave cylinders, but im no expert.

Hi Frogstar, yes just checked fluid and there is black sludge like oil deposits in the reservior, also the top had some funky non fitting rubber, can only assume it wasn't sealing properly or the seals have gone on the cylinders??
    01 Defender 110 TD5

Hi Erwie

I had a similar situation on a different brand before

in my case the clutch fork was cracked/worn through
    where the slave cylinders pin pressed on the for
    the pin did not go through as yet but needed extended play
    to function

Good Luck

Hi guys

to repair the clutch fork issue properly, you will have to weld a trapezoid shaped bracket over the arm, some 50mm long and make sure, that the bracket is welded properly along the two sides for the whole length of the bracket.

Failure to adhere to the above will result in the welding seams cracking, which happened on mine last year, after a clutch fork job in 2010 with a "re-enforced" clutch fork.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details