Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Default Re: What did you do to your Mitsu Today ?

Last week I had some new Bilstein B6 shocks fitted to the Hippo. The team at Mitsu Care (Jacques Norval) took care of the fitment and I did a service at the same time.

The new B6 has a snap ring on the front shock that allows you to raise the coil mount by 10mm which translated to 20mm lift on the front (as it stands its closer to 30mm). So no need for a spacer.

On the rear I installed a 10mm Teflon spacer above the coil. Should equal 20mm lift but again this translated to a lift of around 35mm for now.

This will probably settle to around 25mm and 30mm.

I kept the factory progressive coils as the consensus was that this is the best way to retain the nice ride of the Pajero.

I also have air helpers installed in the rear, but unfortunately I need to redo that as one of the replacement bags (I popped one) was the wrong part.

I did not want to lift the Pajero too much. Given my experience with my dad's Gen 3 which has a 45mm lift I rather chose to keep the excellent road holding manners of the Paj as close to factory as possible. But I needed to lift it slightly because I found myself scraping the belly or sidesteps here and there.

The ride is amazing, I did not expect such a massive improvement but I must commend these Bilstein shocks. They are somehow firm yet soft and go through their travel quite easily which is exactly what I was looking for. I initially wanted Fox 2.0 and we fitted some to the Hilux in our offroad group on the same day, but the price for the hilux was R22k versus R38k for the Pajero , so that was canned. But I can honestly say that with the Bilstein I found exactly what I was looking for anyways. Must be the reason why so many Pajero owners recommend them (thanks Stranger).

Big shoutout to Darrell from Mikem suspensions who sourced the Bilsteins for me and sent them down to the Cape along with some tips on the installation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilstein_B6_IMG_20210806_090330.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	625862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilsteins_B6_IMG-20210806-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	625863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilstein_B6_IMG_20210806_084502.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	625865

Cheers

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Super_daav View Post
    SimonV, where did your roof rack come from as a matter of interest?
    Sorry only saw this now.
    Apologies, I made it myself, was a fun exercise.

Had a lot of fun on Sani yesterday. My son and I were the first at the border post at 7am had a magnificent drive up with not a car in sight.
    We even managed an Ice Climb on Icy Corner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210829_073122.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	628062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAVE_20210830_085407.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	653.8 KB 
ID:	628063  

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SimonV For This Useful Post:

Hi Guys,
    was working up in Letlhakane, so decided to pop into Khumaga for the weekend.
    The area is full of game ( zebra and Wildebeest by the 1000's ) along the river during the mid day and saw a lot of Ellies and Kudu giraffe etc.

We were also lucky to find a pride of 5 lions just chilling in the sand above the river.

If you decide to make this a stopover, please make sure you see it during midday, that is when all the game are around.. mornings and evenings they disappear !!

Regards
    Mike

Name:	IMG_20210904_180637.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	628877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210903_174548.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	628878  

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikealan For This Useful Post:

I just came back from a 4500km trip which included the flowers of the Northern Cape - stunning.

The Gen3 (with 440k on the odo) performed flawlessly, except for two issues:
    1. I lost a tyre within 200 km of leaving home.
      Something in the road punched a perfectly round hole ±8mm dia in the tread.
      The tyre had less that 40% tread left, and considering the roads I intended driving, I replaced it with a new tyre.
    2. On the very last day, the aircon started working erratically.
      Had it re-gassed, and everything is good again.

On Friday I thought I heard a funny noise, which became worse as I drove.
    I soon realised it was the front left wheel bearing.
    At 400k I suppose it can be expected.
    I opted to replace both.

I phoned around for hubs assemblies (no simple bearing only).
    Agents are ±R11500 for the pair.

Got Partquip ones at ±R1500 a piece.

Marius was tasked to replace them, and as usual, he did a sterling job in very good time.
    The left hand side came apart in the process, so I was just in time!

Thank goodness it did not happen on my road trip!
    Last edited by 4ePajero; 2021/09/06 at 04:02 PM.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB
    2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

I fitted some roof racks and bike carriers for the kiddos' bicycles.

Name:	20210912_150644.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	629608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210912_150702.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	629609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210912_150715.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	629610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210912_150728.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	366.4 KB 
ID:	629611  
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    Echo 2 Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    I fitted some roof racks and bike carriers for the kiddos' bicycles.
    Saw somebody drive into covered parking once with that on the roof .....
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Saw somebody drive into covered parking once with that on the roof .....
    Could not have been pretty

Wonder what will break first. The fitting onto the Roof Rack or the screw into the fixed mounting point on the Triton?
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    Echo 2 Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Last week I had some new Bilstein B6 shocks fitted to the Hippo. The team at Mitsu Care (Jacques Norval) took care of the fitment and I did a service at the same time.

The new B6 has a snap ring on the front shock that allows you to raise the coil mount by 10mm which translated to 20mm lift on the front (as it stands its closer to 30mm). So no need for a spacer.

On the rear I installed a 10mm Teflon spacer above the coil. Should equal 20mm lift but again this translated to a lift of around 35mm for now.

This will probably settle to around 25mm and 30mm.

I kept the factory progressive coils as the consensus was that this is the best way to retain the nice ride of the Pajero.

I also have air helpers installed in the rear, but unfortunately I need to redo that as one of the replacement bags (I popped one) was the wrong part.

I did not want to lift the Pajero too much. Given my experience with my dad's Gen 3 which has a 45mm lift I rather chose to keep the excellent road holding manners of the Paj as close to factory as possible. But I needed to lift it slightly because I found myself scraping the belly or sidesteps here and there.

The ride is amazing, I did not expect such a massive improvement but I must commend these Bilstein shocks. They are somehow firm yet soft and go through their travel quite easily which is exactly what I was looking for. I initially wanted Fox 2.0 and we fitted some to the Hilux in our offroad group on the same day, but the price for the hilux was R22k versus R38k for the Pajero , so that was canned. But I can honestly say that with the Bilstein I found exactly what I was looking for anyways. Must be the reason why so many Pajero owners recommend them (thanks Stranger).

Big shoutout to Darrell from Mikem suspensions who sourced the Bilsteins for me and sent them down to the Cape along with some tips on the installation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilstein_B6_IMG_20210806_090330.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	625862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilsteins_B6_IMG-20210806-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	625863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilstein_B6_IMG_20210806_084502.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	625865

Cheers
    Hows the feedback on the shocks? I need to replace the shocks on my 2011 Pajero Sport and looking at options. Dont want to lift it if I dont have to, but looking for something that can handle some bad dirt roads. What was the cost of the shocks?
    2011 Pajero Sport
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport - with too many extras to mention

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    Hows the feedback on the shocks? I need to replace the shocks on my 2011 Pajero Sport and looking at options. Dont want to lift it if I dont have to, but looking for something that can handle some bad dirt roads. What was the cost of the shocks?
    Hi,

I've put around 6000km on them now including a 4000km odd trip towing an offroad trailer through the namaqua national park and kgalagadi.

I really can't fault them. The damping feels fantastic and they seem to handle big bumps and small bumps equally well. They also performed equally well with the vehicle loaded.

The B6 model Bilsteins are the stock ride height ones AFAIK but the fronts offer a snap ring to raise it (10mm interval) . Just keep the snap ring on the front damper on the lower setting and you are good to go (it might not have the snap ring groove). I haven't seen the pricing for the pajero sport but I'm guessing around 12-15k as that was what it cost me. I got them a bit cheaper via mikem suspensions. Contact Darrel and chat with him. His knowledge is tops.

Cheers

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Decided to replace my wheel studs which were long overdue.. I also put some new 31x10.5s r15s on my bakkie. I then got to the front where i needed to change studs and thought while i was there let me change my klunking CV too, so im going to finish up with that today too !

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Corben View Post
    Decided to replace my wheel studs which were long overdue.. I also put some new 31x10.5s r15s on my bakkie. I then got to the front where i needed to change studs and thought while i was there let me change my klunking CV too, so im going to finish up with that today too !
    Aaaah so that was you asking for help during the week.

I am on the same Whatsapp group.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Aaaah so that was you asking for help during the week.

I am on the same Whatsapp group.
    Is there a WhatsApp group for us Mitsu owners?
    2011 Pajero Sport
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport - with too many extras to mention

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

Not today, but Friday. Wife phoned and told me she pulled over again. Car stalled and wouldn’t start.

Left it there, unfortunately it wasn’t stolen, dropped of the keys at a Toyota mechanic and left. He managed to start it again and took it with him to work on. I'm at the stage where I want to give it away for free, but I don’t hate anyone that much.

Unfortunately I didn’t listen to the local that told me to scrap it when the first engine went to sleep.

I loved the gen4 3.2 I had, but this 2.8 needs to go.

We’ve just returned from a month long road trip to the Kgalagadi and Namaqualand flower trip. The sightseeing was quite good and the photos taken wonderful.
    But the travelling and shaking experience over corrugated dirt roads left much to be desired. And unless we stop visiting the parks we love I need to do something.
    My gen4 dash needs to be stripped and everything inside it fastened again. For this I need help please as I have no idea on how to strip / open it. Kurt did the bracing for me when the paj was new.
    The shocks need to go as they are hopeless on coping with corrugated roads. I see the reports on the Bilstein B6 but no mention is made whether the dash shaking on corrugations is stopped by it.
    Will speak to Mikem next week as I’m planning a trip to Randburg to see my kids.
    Has anyone ever considered replacing the hold open “shock” on the back door with a gas shock? This door has a terrible time travelling corrugations with a very heavy tyre mounted on it. At one stage during our trip I had to tighten the nuts holding the tyre a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by REAList View Post
    We’ve just returned from a month long road trip to the Kgalagadi and Namaqualand flower trip. The sightseeing was quite good and the photos taken wonderful.
    But the travelling and shaking experience over corrugated dirt roads left much to be desired. And unless we stop visiting the parks we love I need to do something.
    My gen4 dash needs to be stripped and everything inside it fastened again. For this I need help please as I have no idea on how to strip / open it. Kurt did the bracing for me when the paj was new.
    The shocks need to go as they are hopeless on coping with corrugated roads. I see the reports on the Bilstein B6 but no mention is made whether the dash shaking on corrugations is stopped by it.
    Will speak to Mikem next week as I’m planning a trip to Randburg to see my kids.
    Has anyone ever considered replacing the hold open “shock” on the back door with a gas shock? This door has a terrible time travelling corrugations with a very heavy tyre mounted on it. At one stage during our trip I had to tighten the nuts holding the tyre a bit.
    Hi,

I feel your pain. The rattling on those corrugations in the kgalagadi is unbearable. I've also just returned from there and yesterday I installed the bracing kit (Thanks Mr. G for the kit and advice) into my Pajero because it was just too much. I'm also the guy who installed the bilsteins that you refer to. They are fantastic and I really enjoy them but it makes no difference to the rattling over the kgalagadi corrugations. You'll probably find that the 2 m8 (I think) fasteners behind the cover on the right hand side of the air vent are loose again. Those seem to be the culprits behind it started to move. I secured them with loctite this time so let's see if they hold.

Another common place for noise to come from is the center console. Over the years those screws also work loose. I have placed some foam tape in all those areas just to soften the closing and limit any potential noise over rough roads (I also did this for the cubby).

RE the rear door. If you open the door you will see there is a small rubber damper that goes into the v-groove on the body. Loosen the damper and shift it forward. This will stop the door from shaking and secure it tightly again. If it's worn out and at max setting then just order a new one from Mitsu.

I really enjoy my Pajero, but man I share in your frustration regarding this.

Cheers
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/09/19 at 04:42 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

The back door adjustment is best done with the metal ‘cup’ on the body rather than that rubber locator. Loosen the two torx screws and tap the cup forward (into the boot) by about 2mm and then tighten. It will make sure the door closes much tighter. Don’t move it too much else the door latch won’t open. Trial and error until the door open and closes ‘just right’

24. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    Is there a WhatsApp group for us Mitsu owners?
    Yes, its called Colt and Triton Fanatics.

Not sure how I got on it, but I am.

Think I saw a link on bookface if not mistaken.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Yes, its called Colt and Triton Fanatics.

Not sure how I got on it, but I am.

Think I saw a link on bookface if not mistaken.
    Is it worth trying to get onto?
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Is it worth trying to get onto?
    Yes. The group is not very active so it wont bother you.

But for advice as to repairs, services, fault finding etc its good. Lot of nice guys that will assist.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast