Rear difflock vacuum pump

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rear difflock vacuum pump

I have a problem om my '03 Colt Clubcab 4x4 2.8TDi.

The rear diff lock engages, but it won't disengage.

I took the bakkie in and the mech tells me the rear difflock vacuum pump has water damage, and needs to be replaced.

Problem is - a new pump from Rola costs R3500.

Apparently I have an "imported diff" (couldn't tell me the make or serial number or anything).

Anybody knows if and where I can get a generic vacuum pump, or perhaps just another place where I can buy such a pump (where I won't need tub of vaseline to go with it)?
    Last edited by diskbrakes; 2010/06/03 at 06:17 PM.
    Francois Viljoen
    Stellenbosch

Thank God for banana.

hey - correct me if I'm wrong but the difflock works off engine vacuum if I'm not mistaken?

no seperate vacuum pump - the engine makes PLENTY!!! the V6 has manifold vacuum and the diesel has it's own vacuum pump for the brakes and so on...

I'd get a second opinion!!!

Well, I climbed in under the bakkie with the mech and he showed me a little box shaped thing which is apparently the cause of my troubles.

Offhand I'd say it measures probably 7.5cm x 7.5cm x 7.5cm, it's mounted under the vehicle above the diff, with a pipe coming in, and a pipe going to the diff from there.

I'm not an expert at swinging spanners, but I doubt he's taking me for a ride. I've always received excellent service and no BS from them (it's not a dealer).
    Francois Viljoen
    Stellenbosch

Thank God for banana.

Apoc, the gearmax diff locks work off engine vacuum. The Mitsu's have a separate pump located on a cross member on the chassis above the rear axle. However, AFAIK it is positive pressure and not vacuum, so it's a small compressor, but I stand corrected on this.

I could be wrong - never had a moments problem with mine!!!! I had always thought it was a vacuum system.... seems amazing that they'd fit a pressure pump when all that vacuum is available!!

I made a big mistake one day and forded a salt water stream - lagoon as it turned out - cost me 2 ABS wheel sensors but never had a diff lock problem from it...

my apologies then - if it has a pump and it's toasted then it needs replacing... but it still seems odd - if it works one way, it must have pressure... is he sure it's not the pneumatic switch over giving trouble? as I say - never has a problem myself so I can't offer a definite answer...

I'd think that unit rarely gives trouble - As most Colts have difflock I'd imagien the unit is pretty much the same from the base model to the top line model - so I'd imagine a scrap yard would ask very little for it.. certainly less than R3500!!!

or you could fit a big on board pump for your tyres and use that for a lot less money too....

Quote Originally Posted by Zantus View Post
    Apoc, the gearmax diff locks work off engine vacuum. The Mitsu's have a separate pump located on a cross member on the chassis above the rear axle. However, AFAIK it is positive pressure and not vacuum, so it's a small compressor, but I stand corrected on this.
    Zantus you are correct. If one pulls the pype from the pump off the diff and put that end in one's mouth, you'll find that it blows, ie positive pressure.

And it would take a fair amount of water damage to bugger up that pump.

I've opened mine and cleaned it numerous times and everytime it is as good as new.
    Last edited by Die SwartKat; 2010/06/04 at 08:14 AM.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

You can get one ata scrap yard for about R560 and it is very easy to fit just make sure that it is really the problem.

My difflock still does not work and the dealers don't really know why. There are the 4wd switches to take into account but I assume youre 4wd lights and so on still work correct. I also got told that the "free-wheel clutch solenoid valve" needs replacing at R1100. If anybody can explain where this is and what it does it would be appreciated.

I see you are in CPT, if you don't come right PM me, there is a place in Hermanstad (PTA) that have alot of Colt spares maybe I can help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by NewB View Post
    You can get one ata scrap yard for about R560 and it is very easy to fit just make sure that it is really the problem.

My difflock still does not work and the dealers don't really know why. There are the 4wd switches to take into account but I assume youre 4wd lights and so on still work correct. I also got told that the "free-wheel clutch solenoid valve" needs replacing at R1100. If anybody can explain where this is and what it does it would be appreciated.

I see you are in CPT, if you don't come right PM me, there is a place in Hermanstad (PTA) that have alot of Colt spares maybe I can help you out.
    NewB, the freewheel hub solenoid valves are situated inside the engine bay under your air intake filter. There will be two of them and it is usually just one that becomes sticky. They are however sold in pairs.

You'll see one has a yellow and the other a blue round sticker on them.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

@Zantus, Nico, Apoc

I just assumed it's a vacuum pump - but you're probably right that it's a positive pressure pump.

@NewB

I'm going to take out mine and see if I can clean it based on Nico's comments.

Thanks for the offer of help - if that doesn't fix it I'll get in-touch.

And yes - my 4x4 lights work 100%.
    Francois Viljoen
    Stellenbosch

Thank God for banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico.Swart View Post
    NewB, the freewheel hub solenoid valves are situated inside the engine bay under your air intake filter. There will be two of them and it is usually just one that becomes sticky. They are however sold in pairs.

You'll see one has a yellow and the other a blue round sticker on them.
    What do they actually do, does it influence the diff lock operation only or does it have any thing to do with the four wheel drive operation since it feels that when I engage fourwheel drive the front wheels don't have power?

Quote Originally Posted by NewB View Post
    What do they actually do, does it influence the is whichlock operation only or does it have any thing to do with the four wheel drive operation since it feels that when I engage fourwheel drive the front wheels don't have power?
    The freewheel hub solenoid valves has nothing to do with your difflock operation. They are only there for 4 wheel drive engagement.

In 2 wheel drive, one of them will blow and the other one will suck, and vice versa if you're in 4 wheel drive. Can't remember which which though. But both has to work for 4 wheel drive to work.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

Can they be taken out and repaired or maybe make 'unsticky'?

NewB the likelyhood that they are the problem is slim - either the diaphragms are toast - have never heard of that but could happen - or the mechanism is sticking and preventing them from engaging. Alternatively - it may require the pressure pump that operates the diff to be working - I had thought they would be vacuum operated but I'm not so sure now!!!

Check it engaged - put it 4L, roll forward a bit to make sure it has a fair chance to lock. then turn the wheels to full lock and pull off GENTLY. if the motor stalls they are locked in. If it pulls off and turns normally then it is not engaged....

be careful and gentle doing that on a tar road - you do not want to damage the drivetrain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by diskbrakes View Post
    I have a problem om my '03 Colt Clubcab 4x4 2.8TDi.

The rear diff lock engages, but it won't disengage.

I took the bakkie in and the mech tells me the rear difflock vacuum pump has water damage, and needs to be replaced.

Problem is - a new pump from Rola costs R3500.

Apparently I have an "imported diff" (couldn't tell me the make or serial number or anything).

Anybody knows if and where I can get a generic vacuum pump, or perhaps just another place where I can buy such a pump (where I won't need tub of vaseline to go with it)?
    This may sound stupid, but a fair amount of water, trapped for a very long time inside your diff will also hinder the engage and disengegement of your diff lock.Have you replaced your diff oil yet?
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

Hi Nico

Nope, not yet. I also don't know when it was replaced last - I only bought the bakkie this year.

I'll try this too.
    Francois Viljoen
    Stellenbosch

Thank God for banana.

Hi Nico

Nope, not yet. I also don't know when it was replaced last - I only bought the bakkie this year.

I'll try this too.
    If water was trapped inside, the oil will be very murky and white/greyish in colour. When the oil is drained, with the drain plug still remnoved, pour in another 200 - 300 mm of clean diff oil, to flush out every last bit of sludge. Or use petrol/diesel but give it at least 30 minutes so that everything drips out.

Mine looked horrific when I did it last. The diff supposedly takes roughly 2,5 liters of oil, - I drained in excess of 5 liters of rubish from mine ( lots of water )

Thereafter difflock was great, engaging within a meter of driving.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

Quote Originally Posted by Nico.Swart View Post
    If water was trapped inside, the oil will be very murky and white/greyish in colour. When the oil is drained, with the drain plug still remnoved, pour in another 200 - 300 mm of clean diff oil, to flush out every last bit of sludge. Or use petrol/diesel but give it at least 30 minutes so that everything drips out.

Mine looked horrific when I did it last. The diff supposedly takes roughly 2,5 liters of oil, - I drained in excess of 5 liters of rubish from mine ( lots of water )

Thereafter difflock was great, engaging within a meter of driving.
    Now that definitely doesn't sound good!!

But Nico I think you may just have the solution and that my problem may be inside the diff.

I read somewhere that the pump is only used to ENGAGE the diff-lock, and that there is a spring inside the diff that causes the diff-lock to DISENGAGE.

Can anybody confirm this?

Now my problem is that the diff-lock won't DISENAGE. If the above is correct then that leaves me thinking that there may be muck and inside the diff, and that the problem is not the pump at all.
    Francois Viljoen
    Stellenbosch

Thank God for banana.

I read somewhere that the pump is only used to ENGAGE the diff-lock, and that there is a spring inside the diff that causes the diff-lock to DISENGAGE.

I have never seen the diff mechanism inside the housing so I cannot tell you exactly how it works. But if you have in import Colt, air will blow from the pump on the cross member above the diff into the diff.

This tells me that some sort of diaphram is activated by the positive pressure and a set of gears is either pushed or pulled onto other gears thereby locking the diff.

I haven't heard of a spring that supposedly disengages it. I'm under the impression that the difflock works on the same principles as the 4x4 system ie, if the air stops to flow, the locker will disengage.

So yes, IMHO the pump is used to engage and disengage the locker.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

[/QUOTE]I read somewhere that the pump is only used to ENGAGE the diff-lock, and that there is a spring inside the diff that causes the diff-lock to DISENGAGE.

Now my problem is that the diff-lock won't DISENAGE. If the above is correct then that leaves me thinking that there may be muck and inside the diff, and that the problem is not the pump at all.[/QUOTE]

Have you resolved your problem or are you still battling?
    12 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 DC
    07 Jurgens Xplorer

Have you resolved your problem or are you still battling?
    I'm still driving around with the broken pump.

I don't use the difflock often enough to fork out the money for a new one, so I'll probably end up fitting a second hand pump.

Do you have the same problem?
    Francois Viljoen
    Stellenbosch

Thank God for banana.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast