Anyone know what happened here? AD Roll - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Hi,

You guys are scarring me. I have kinda committed myself to joining Zantus and others at Brakkeduine on 21 June.

In KZN/Transkei/Lesotho I know about rocks, inclines and mud and level sand.

But this dune thing, seems even if you are sober and carefull you will roll.

I want the experience but I am not ready to hurt my loved ones or car.

Are we talking extreme or normal fun stuff.

Cheers
    Keith
    Just be CAREFULL, and observe a few basic rules.

My mistake was two fold: I over estimated my vehicles momentum/power, AND I underestemated the side slope.

CORRECT WAY - Approach a dune "straight" up and straight down. This is safe and soon the guys look for more of a thrill ..... You CAN enjoy the sand without puting your live and vehicle in danger.

Morning and afternoon is the best time to ride the dunes. During mid day the sun shine overhead and there are minimal shadows. It is those shadows that warns you of the slopes and small bumps or dips.

Third thing to watch is the approach angle of your vehicle, then watch the approach to the dunes. Often you look at a dune which looks "the same" at a distance, as you come closer you find sections has a very sharp approach, while other bits are better suited to use as an approach for the dune. I have seen some tupperware get hurt by people mis reading this.

ALL of these are VERY important when driving on your own. Yet, when led by a competent group leader it is much easier on the newcomer, as the group leader knows what to look out for and what to avoid. A good leader will also test the newbies slowly to see what they can do.

Radio comms helps A LOT !! Often you cant see the next car to know if it is safe for you to start an obstacle.

AGAIN, with these basics in place it CAN be safe.

DOES help when you have a healthy respect for the sand and dont get ambitious .... (like I did on that first trip)
    Last edited by Elders; 2010/06/02 at 09:51 PM.

I do not normally comment on these sorts of threads, but here we go.
    Agree with ashley these sorts of threads do not need to be put on this forum as it makes us all look like cowboys.
    The most dangerous thing in the dunes is the mix of inexperience and ego, followed by being ill equiped to deal with situations when things go wrong.
    What one driver may consider to be a difficult obsticle will be easy to another this goes for vehicles some are just more capable than others. Accidents happen as we all try to push our own skills and vehicles.
    The best way to stay safe is to go with and experienced well equiped group and stay within your own limits and that of your vehicle.

2007 Mitsubishi 'Mighty' Triton
    2006 Jeep Wrangler
    2009 Jeep Wrangler

I agree with Ashley that pictures can "portray" the wrong image, ie no proof the guy with the bear (or energy drink) in the hand was in any way part of the vehicle that rolled. Yet it creates a perception .....

BUT, the discussion itself CAN be very usefull.

If I had read something like this before I went to Atlantis the first time I would NOT have put myself in the position where I nearly rolled my vehicle - due to shear inexperience. AFTER attending a "standard" 4x4 driver training and watching a few 4x4 DVD's. Since none covered this type of dune driving.

Point being that IF people WANT to learn then these threads can save a few vehicles.

Hi,

You guys are scarring me. I have kinda committed myself to joining Zantus and others at Brakkeduine on 21 June.
    Keith, if you join us you have nothing to worry about. We do things very differently at Brakkeduine. There is a highly experienced guide that leads the group in his vehicle, you to follow in his tracks and those tracks are the same everytime the trail is driven, so there are no surprises. At the difficult parts you can watch the other vehicles do an obstacle and then decide if you want to do it yourself or take the bypass.

As the trail owners will tell you, more people make accidents on the gravel road to and from the trail, than at the actual trail, they really do have an excellent safety record so far. Just make sure you listen to the guides and everything will be fine.

Default Thank you

Hi,

Thank you Zantus and others. I will be making my accomodation bookings tomorrow.

I will also be posting requests for ideas of other ideas on what to do in the area for a few days while I am in the area.

Time to go to bed now. Sitting a few hundred killos from home right now in a hotel room on business. And I thought I had retired with a bit of consulting, yeah right!

Cheers
    Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Some general rule that's we'd normally apply when driving in dunes:

1. All vehicles must have an radio for comms (generally 29Mhz to not hear too many other people)
    2. All vehicles drive where the guide drives, preferrably in his tracks.
    3. Once a vehicle is clear of a dune he will notify the rest that's its safe.
    4. If someone fails after 3 tries, its the next persons turn (to avoid messing up the dune for future people)
    5. If there is other parties near / amongst our group, communicate as such to all via the radio.
    6. Zero alcohol
    7. Zero EGOs
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

here is a perfectly good argument FOR a few beers before heading off road....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The guy on the left reminds me of "Uli Schmidt" another BLue Bull.

If only that was the truth we would have some "Einstein's" around.

Wow it's hard to believe that there were two incidents like that on the same day.
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

haha - Ashley - thats a story from "Cheers" the TV series, very old. Norm and Cliffie were the characters..

Spent much of my life in Table View and watched the increase in people playing on Blouberg Hill just like they now do in the Atlantis Dunes until it got out of control with accidents and massive erosion and a ban was issued on 4x4s up the Hill.

There are differences between the two such as:
    people did not pay to use Blouberg Hill, no revenue
    I donít think erosion is such a factor on sand dunes (could be wrong).

Maybe its time to educate people using the dunes before medi rescue choppers become a regular sight over Atlantis Dunes. A simple flyer given out or possibly a large sign at the entrance to the dunes showing proper dune driving techniques may make all the difference for a novice. Its easier to try fix the issue of acidents before it becomes a real problem for everyone else.
    Godzilla - 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    Monty - 1972 Series 3 LWB (moved on)

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by offroadrover View Post
    A simple flyer given out or possibly a large sign at the entrance to the dunes showing proper dune driving techniques may make all the difference for a novice. Its easier to try fix the issue of acidents before it becomes a real problem for everyone else.
    A good idea, but arrogance and ignorance has been discussed a couple of times and if a person giving advise can just be disregarded so too can a sign that might have saved your life.. Looked at a person travelling through a red light this morning and realized no matter how safe you would like to be you can never eliminated the human factor..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Willied, I agree we will always have accidents and idiots but its about the community being seen to try make a difference. One person does something stupid in a 4x4 and everyone in a 4x4 is branded.
    Godzilla - 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    Monty - 1972 Series 3 LWB (moved on)

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Default Good Idea

That's a good idea Offroadrover

It needs to be investigated and I know who to ask.
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Quote Originally Posted by offroadrover View Post
    Willied, I agree we will always have accidents and idiots but its about the community being seen to try make a difference. One person does something stupid in a 4x4 and everyone in a 4x4 is branded.
    100% agree with you. How many accendents have happened from last year October till now?

Ave 1 per month? More?

This is alarming and I am concerned about this.

'98 Defender 90 2.8i aka "saad van die psigopaat"
    Defender - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0YKlc8Cwrs

Default AD the facts

>:The Dunes require a lot of respect and experience, I nearly lost a friend there 2 years ago when his Jeep rolled over him. He was one of the most experienced and capable drivers in the Dunes but unfortunately he broke one of our golden rules which is always to RECON a new section before driving it, he did'nt and a tree stump on a blind section rolled him.
    One of the problems is the inexperienced guys see one of the experienced guys doing something and attempt to do the same with catastrophic results.
    I been driving there for many years one thing I can tell you is the sand is never consistently the same, you can do things on one section one weekend where on the next you cant.
    I regularly do figure eights, u turns on steep up slopes but you need the following: lots of power, the right momentum, tires that can be deflated to .3 rear .4 front to offer real grip for momentum, also most import to know your vehicle especially the right gearing for what you are attempting and lots of experience. Do not attempt a u turn on an incline with a DIESEL
    My old Jeep 500HP Corvette motor
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1275888961
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JEEP4 CT; 2010/06/07 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    that oke wearing an old south african flag shirt? is this what we look like? jeepers
    What's wrong with the old flag?

Someone wrote that it can be congested in the dunes over there on some days. But surely it does not beat what is happening in our neck of the woods? This is the norm on Friday afternoons at Bidayer dunes here in the UAE. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng-c1...eature=related
    2007 Prado 4.0

Hi,

In KZN/Transkei/Lesotho I know about rocks, inclines and mud and level sand.

But this dune thing, seems even if you are sober and carefull you will roll.

I want the experience but I am not ready to hurt my loved ones or car.

Are we talking extreme or normal fun stuff.

Cheers
    Keith
    You will be perfectly safe, absolutely no worries. Brakkenduine is a very controlled track, you may only drive in existing tracks, the guides are at every single obstacle, there are only two "challenge" obstacles and they are entirely optional.

Cool

Jammer om die gebeure te aanskou maar ek het al hoeveel kere aanskou en ervaar waar 'n groep vriend by mekaar is en daar 'n verskil ontwikkel tussen persone, dan is daar die een persoon wat altyd 'n demonstrasie wil gee en in die proses 'n simpel vout begaan met al sy ervaring en hom self skade berokken. Ek hoop net dat niemand beseer is nie behalwe die persoon se ego.

I can't comment about the rolled van, because we all know : "sh1t happens sometimes"

What I do know is that I would not have been standing in that group of people on the other side of the bakkie when the winch started pulling!
    Seems to me there were at least a few inexpereinced hands around there.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast