Which fridge do you use and why? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Have both the 80L NL and Waeco 60L, the I prefer the Waeco, it doesn't insulate as well but it takes up WAY less space and MUCH lighter.

Had it work while on the back of a normal trailer over corrugated roads in the DUST, now after 7 years no problems I do have it PERMANENTLY plugged in too as a bar fridge.

Why do I prefer it? Cause it has a FRIDGE AND FREEZER section. That way your Tomatoes, butter and mushrooms stay cold not frozen and your meat like a brick. I don't like CHOOSING EITHER fridge or freezer I want BOTH and buying two is a silly idea. It complicates charging too much.

Default I agree with Dieselfan

One fridge that has two compartments are better if you have the space.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Khakibos, but I noticed Campworld advertised a 50 litre Kellermann for R4 190.00. Gas / 12V / 220V. Seems a good price and I'm intrigued by the gas idea.

Anybody with experience on this brand?

What's your views on gas fridges economy wise for lets say a 5 day trip?
    J.C
    2010 Defender Puma

I've read a few posts here today and I see some people say that you should stay away from those 3 in 1 fridges if you going to run them on 12v as they drain you battery.

Default absorption fridge

As a 3 in one or absorption fridge uses heat to start the process and not a compressor it works well in gas mode but it will be heavy on a battery in 12v mode. We used one for a few trips, 12v while driving but on to gas as soon as we got to camp. See http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4572503...ator-work.html and here http://www.cam.net.uk/home/StKilda/electrolux.html for how they work.

Have a Waeco 50L. Have used it on several overland/ offroad trips over the past 7 years. Also spends the the rest of the time working as a secondary bar fridge. Most travels done in the back of the Colt bakkie. Haven't had any problems yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
    As a 3 in one or absorption fridge uses heat to start the process and not a compressor it works well in gas mode but it will be heavy on a battery in 12v mode. We used one for a few trips, 12v while driving but on to gas as soon as we got to camp. See http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4572503...ator-work.html and here http://www.cam.net.uk/home/StKilda/electrolux.html for how they work.
    Thanx Pixel
    J.C
    2010 Defender Puma

Had a 40L Kellermann, works fine.
    Then bought an ARB, and took both along on a trip.
    Upon return I sold the Kellermann immediately, for reason it suips electricity!
    The ARB I'll keep, works excellent & frugal on juice.

I agree with the recommendation of going for a smaller one now if you need a bigger one later on for the trailer.

In that case, I would definately recommend the NL 52 Weekender with two compartments. I bought one of the very first ones when launched (without the 2 seperate compartments) and till now, had absolutely no problem.

Used it on a 3-week overland trip in Namibia, trip to Kgalagadi, various other camping trips ranging from 3 to 30 days and so far no problems.

I can also add that I run it off a normal cranking battery in my car, so it is also very 'economical'.

Good luck in deciding!

2006 Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB Auto;
    BURNCO Front Bumper & Bash Plate;
    Hankook MT RT03;
    Hannibal Roof Rack;
    OME suspension;
    Smash & Grab

Big NL crosswise on a plank just behind the 2 seats in my HardTop. Gets bounced quite a lot. maybe 8 years. Very happy.

LG cos its frost-free!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3