Which fridge do you use and why? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Have a 40lt Engel bought in 1995 - great fridge, when not on a trip it keeps my beer cold at home - so it works non-stop.

Reading the posts I am surprised to see that the 'Minus 40' is not mentioned; - what happened to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Have a 40lt Engel bought in 1995 - great fridge, when not on a trip it keeps my beer cold at home - so it works non-stop.

Reading the posts I am surprised to see that the 'Minus 40' is not mentioned; - what happened to them?
    Yep-- mine is the minus 40
    Hot and Sweaty- Nice if you with a Lady, - BAD if you in the Jungle.

UNITRANS 4X4 Training and Tours

Triumph ST 1050
    Toyota 2.8 Auto
    Honda CBR 1000
    Kia Rio -- sold
    Nissan squash squash

Thanks for all the replies so far. As expected NL, Engel, Snowmaster and Waeco were mentioned - all replies happy with quality and service on these fridges (Nice to hear).

I've also heard that buying 2 40L fridges is recommended (oner for freezer and one as fridge) BUT I suppose it will take up lots of space.

Looking at buying a offroad trailer one day ( when I win the Lotto ) and had a look at the NL 90L at Frontrunner the other day. I like it a lot and I'm pretty sure SWAMBO will like it as well. The only problem...the price tag of R 11 450.00!

Would you recommend that we buy 1 40L for now (only 2 people) and when I win that Lotto I buy another (perhaps bigger) fridge for the trailer?
    2015 DC Hilux Legend 45 3L D4D 4x4 AT (His)
    2017 VW T6 Kombi (Hers)

Ek gebruik NL 74 l kombinasie kas. Een kant yskas en die ander kant Vrieskas. Het ook 'n Minus 40 40l, maar gebruik hom nie meer as 'n voertuig kas nie. Het ook al Engel gebruik. Ek sal net National Luna koop. NL gebruik baie min krag en perform die beste van alle kaste wat ek al gebruik het.

khakibos, buying two is the ultimate but if the pocket and space does not allow then I reckon your best bet is to by something like the NL Weekender twin that has the best of both.

I have the twin and for short trips it is great having the freezer and fridge. For longer trips I have a Tropical 40L that gets used as the fridge with the NL working as a freezer only.

NL give great service as do Snomaster who actually fix my Tropical even though it is not a snomaster.
    May your stay be an experience and your experience be why you stay

I got 3, a 60L Minus 40 which is the best insulated of all and the most rugged but no fancy electronics like N/L so power consumption is higher than N/L. It is also heavy and bulky. Their 40L was very nice but I am not sure if it is still available.

A Waeco CF 50 which broke 3 times on 5 trips. Powersupply twice and once the little plastic hinges of the lid. Works fine when it works and should last on the rear seat of a car but the rear of a Cruiser P/U is too much for it. Was fixed for free everytime but a real pain if it break in the middle of Angola.

A National Luna 52L Weekender. Excellent so far and survived the trips back to back where the Waeco broke. Ordered me a new one in stainless to replace the Waeco. The 40L, 74L, 80L and larger from N/L are their top of the range with 40mm insulation compared to 30 on the Weekenders. I was considering the 40L but by the end the 52 win because of the extra space compared to outside dimensions. Power usage on the Weekenders are thus a bit more in higher temperatures.

I also have a lot of respect for Engel, only heard good from them. The other brands I am not familiar with, most use the Danfoss BDF35 compressor but build quality of the complete unit is very important as shown by my experience with the Waeco.

My minus 40 het my al paar keer probleme gegee, en as dit baie warm is loop sy kompressor aan mekaar. Isolasie nie so goed nie. Hy was ook al 3 keer by Minus 40 en hulle sÍ alles is reg en hy kort nie gas nie, nie baie goed geisoleer nie. Sal nogsteeds nooit weer Minus 40 koop nie. Ek het my mind op gemaak en baie happy met my National Luna.

My minus 40 het my al paar keer probleme gegee, en as dit baie warm is loop sy kompressor aan mekaar. Isolasie nie so goed nie. Hy was ook al 3 keer by Minus 40 en hulle sÍ alles is reg en hy kort nie gas nie, nie baie goed geisoleer nie. Sal nogsteeds nooit weer Minus 40 koop nie. Ek het my mind op gemaak en baie happy met my National Luna.

Hoe is die campmaster's? Hulle is aansienlik goedkoper as die ander make...

As jy vries- en yskas soek, en net geld het vir een, gebruik dit as 'n vrieskas, en vries bottels water, wat jy dan as yspakke gebruik in 'n gewone koelboks.
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

khakibos WHAT do you want to do with the fridge/freezer ?

For the classical long weekend getaway the 50liter NL Weekender is more than enough for two people.

A longer bush trip with no access to shops for days on end might require something bigger.

During our January get-away we were told by our camping neighbours that after 3 weeks on the road they are taking 60% of the stuff back home, as they packed too much ....

Quote Originally Posted by khakibos View Post
    had a look at the NL 90L at Frontrunner the other day. I like it a lot and I'm pretty sure SWAMBO will like it as well. The only problem...the price tag of R 11 450.00!
    Exactly why I wouldn't buy NL, S.A product, Aussie price. Really? Why would I support a S.A company trying to screw me? Danfoss happens to be down the road from me and the compressor prices don't go up in the increments NL charge for their fridges. What a bunch of [email protected]&rs
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

74L double door NL.GREAT. Fridge and freezer...or both..as you wish. !
    Stefan
    S83
    ZS6SCR

I have the new ARB fridge. Does the business. Low battery cut-out. Freezes everything solid. Light to move around and easy to clean and they threw in a neoprene cover which keeps it looking sharp.

They are good....at a price. I find the snomaster to be very good quality and by far the best priced

Snowmaster/Kellerman. A good fridge/freezer at a very good price and exceptional aftersales service. Had my 80l for over two years now and it is mounted in my caravan.
    Deon Viljoen
    Boyscout

2012 Land Rover Defender 90 2.2 Tdci S/W Sold
    2005 D2 XS TD5 Auto sold at 189000km
    2003 D2 GS TD5 Auto sold at 165000km
    1999 D2 GS V8 Auto sold at 178000km

NL 95l, no problems so far. I looked and asked around alot, and NL seems to be the best of the lot.

Friday i bought a Snowmaster 60L (-19) Fridge freezer. I tested it and it cool down FAST!. Best part was the price! R4600 brand new through NWK Lichtenburg via agrinet.
    Last edited by Terry; 2010/05/31 at 08:29 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    Hoe is die campmaster's? Hulle is aansienlik goedkoper as die ander make...

As jy vries- en yskas soek, en net geld het vir een, gebruik dit as 'n vrieskas, en vries bottels water, wat jy dan as yspakke gebruik in 'n gewone koelboks.
    I have a 95L Campmaster and am extremely satisfied with it. Did a trip to Namibia in March. It out performed the Minus 40 and Snowmaster of the other guys in my group.

Keeps temperature quite good (maintained -20 with ease in 40degrees ambient), used much less energy than the other two units due to economy setting...

Price is good, good compressor, quality not bad - what more is there to say?

Going to get the 40L before my December trip!

'15 Toyota LC 76 S/W
    '06 Nissan Patrol 4.8 (SOLD)
    '04 Land Rover Def 110 Td5 (Sadly Sold)
    '11 Conqueror Companion + 2 Oz RV2 tents

Engel 40L with the Engel plug and fitting in vehicle.
    Great fridge, works well and fitting prevents any connection issues

I don't think it's always the fridge that really matters, I figure the compressor is also a big thing to look at and can it be replaced?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast