Best Campsites in Moz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Campsites in Moz

Hey,

Apart from Pemba Bush and Dive, and Honey pots.... what are some of the best campsites along the Mozambique coast? I'm looking for those hidden gems you dont find on google

Pomene North Bank - Casa Rei!
    Skim
    aka Jimmie Louw
    Land Rover Drivers don't suffer from insanity - They enjoy every minute of it!

Defender 110 TDi - Dual Bat system & Drawers, long range tank, 29&VHF radio
    Toy D4D -VHF Radio

LLL- recommend Laguna Camp (check out website), if staying @ Bilene
    ea campsite screened with own ablutions- very neat - no quads allowed so quiet.
    Excellent view of Lagoon from veranda of Bar / restaurant- couple of cold Cervejas- Laurentina "Preta" or 2M -
    will want to throw that passport away.
    Try the Rd less travelled!!!!

There can be only one - Pomene
    Disco III V8

Everybody should own a V8 at least once in his life

and I've done it twice now

Resounding support for Pomene - Morongula is also great. Good sites and long lazy beaches about 10 steps away (okay - 20)

For a view, Barra Lighthouse is unbeatable, but we were last there about 3 years ago - and the campsite needed a lot of TLC.

And don't forget Campismo Aguia (S23 51.432 E32 00.434) at Massingir Dam if you're going via Giriyondo Border Post. Saw more Fish Eagles in one spot there than I've ever seen before, or since.
    Last edited by gavpike; 2010/05/27 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added Info
    Gavin

awesome! Thanks now if only I could get in my car now!!

any more suggestions (of the best hidden little gems)?
    Toyota Prado 4.0l Petrol
    OME Suspension
    B'rakhah Ingonyama Offroad Camper

Previously2002 Disco TD5

Quote Originally Posted by eduard4455 View Post
    any more suggestions (of the best hidden little gems)?
    Just back from nearly six weeks in Mozambique (trip report later this month). Our favourite camp sites were Campissmo Aguia Pesqueira on the Massingire Dame, Pomene Lodge, Chitengo in Gorongosa, Cua Cua (north bank of the Zambezi at Caia), and Libelula outside Nacala. Unfortunately didn't make it to Pemba Bush and Dive Camp, but have heard rave reviews of the place. Ilha da Mozambique is unmissable - we could have spent weeks there. We stayed at Patio dos Quintalinhos (Casa Gabriel). Excellent.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Welcome back. We leave in 4.5 weeks so I am looking forward to your report. How did you find Niassa Park and the road from Marrupa to Montepuez?

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    Hi Tony,
    Welcome back. We leave in 4.5 weeks so I am looking forward to your report. How did you find Niassa Park and the road from Marrupa to Montepuez?
    Thanks Pierre,

Unfortunately we didn't make it further north than Nacala. We hit Libelula on Nacala Bay and found paradise, so stayed there nearly a week, plus we had to get back to Vilankulo for our dhow charter, which we had to delay for over a month because of foul weather in June, so couldn't risk losing our R8000 upfront payment. So we decided to leave the north for next time.

Tony

thanks for the info on Massinger Dam; that is the second time today that somebody tells me that place is amazing! I also heard of PARAISO DE CHIDENGUELE which apparently very nice.
    Toyota Prado 4.0l Petrol
    OME Suspension

Previously2002 Disco TD5

Quote Originally Posted by eduard4455 View Post
    thanks for the info on Massinger Dam; that is the second time today that somebody tells me that place is amazing! I also heard of PARAISO DE CHIDENGUELE which apparently very nice.
    Just be very careful at Massingire if you go fishing - the crocs are enormous and plentiful. As the camp manager said to my son when he asked if it was possible to swim, "only if you talk nicely to the crocodiles." If you stay there, chalets 2 and 3 have the best views of the water, and the central campsites (3,4,5 & 6) have the nicest locations, although all 10 camp sites are great.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I am still busy fine tuning my trip. At this stage the Limpopo is too deep so I am looking at Giriyondo in stead of Pafuri and then the first night most probably will be at Massinger dam. Our sites where we want to stay are Blue water Bay Vilanculous(3), Seta Inhasorro(1), Gorongoza(2), Bridge Campsite Ilha(2), Libelula Nacala(2), Pangane(2), Pemba Dive Camp(4) and then on to Niassa and Malawi. There are a few overnight stops in between. At Ilha you mention Patio dos Quintalinhos, I presume it is Casa do Gabriel on T4A. Do you have safe parking there for the loaded vehicle and can you please give an indication of cost pppn. I believe Bridge Campsite is not very bright? Any suggestions of other sites north of Vilanculous. Pomene and southwards I know more or less. We are travelling solo so this trip is very much open, I may well end up in paradise and skip the latter parts as well like you did, one of the great advantages when doing your own thing.

In Tanzania, we asked a swede called Sven at Boabab Valley Camp if we can swim in the river, he said sure, just give me your cars keys before doing so.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2010/07/20 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    Thanks Tony, I am still busy fine tuning my trip. At this stage the Limpopo is too deep so I am looking at Giriyondo in stead of Pafuri and then the first night most probably will be at Massinger dam. Our sites where we want to stay are Blue water Bay Vilanculous(3), Seta Inhasorro(1), Gorongoza(2), Bridge Campsite Ilha(2), Libelula Nacala(2), Pangane(2), Pemba Dive Camp(4) and then on to Niassa and Malawi. There are a few overnight stops in between. At Ilha you mention Patio dos Quintalinhos, I presume it is Casa do Gabriel on T4A. Do you have safe parking there for the loaded vehicle and can you please give an indication of cost pppn. I believe Bridge Campsite is not very bright? Any suggestions of other sites north of Vilanculous. Pomene and southwards I know more or less. We are travelling solo so this trip is very much open, I may well end up in paradise and skip the latter parts as well like you did, one of the great advantages when doing your own thing.
    In Tanzania, we asked a swede called Sven at Boabab Valley Camp if we can swim in the river, he said sure, just give me your cars keys before doing so.
    Hi Pierre,

If you want to really treat yourself, book a three day, two night dhow safari with Sailaway Dhow Safaris out of Vilankulo. Dave Kimber ([email protected])runs a really great operation, and it's not that expensive - R2622 per adult and half for kids under 12, fantastic three meals a day, plus inbetween snacks and coffee, tented camp on the mainland, snorkelling gear if you don't have it. I'll write it up more fully in my trip report.
    I presume you're camping at Seta Inhassoro? We treated ourselves to a night at Casa Luna, just up the road, not too expensive and good food, for my wife's birthday. Chitengo camp at Gorongosa is lovely, if you're stuck Mocuba your only real option is the shabby but adequate Pensao Cruzeiro, Casuarina (Bridge) Camp at Ilha is OK, but the locals use the beach in front of it as a toilet. Patio dos Quintalinhos (Casa do Gabriel indeed) costs $40 a night for a double, $60 for a family room (4 beds) both incl breakfast. He also has a warehouse with secure parking at $5 a night.
    Libelula is a gem. Tell Ian and Piecoline we say hi. And I've only heard good reports about Pemba Bush and Dive.
    Other than that, there's Cua Cua on the north bank of the Zambezi at Caia (camping, chalets, restaurant) and a lodge in the forest about 35km south of Caia that we didn't visit, Cataphu Mphingwe Lodge.

Tony

Thanks for the feedback Tony. We will be in Moz for our 29th. wedding anniversary on 5 Sept. Last year we were in Angola and had a hard days drive from Flamingo Lodge over Namibe and the Leba Pass and after a late afternoon struggle in a mad Lubango we made it up the mountain and bushcamped at Tudavala. This year I hope for a more relaxed day with the first night at Pemba if things go according to schedule so I hope to treat Christi for a change on our anniversary. I will look at your dhow suggestion and yes, we plan to sleep at Seta but only for the night, I want to drive from Vilanculous to Nhamabwe and then back to Seta so it is mainly an overnight stop to Gorongoza. At the moment our perhaps too optimistic plan is as follows but as said, it may change pending on weather and ourselves:

21/08 - Huis na Giriyondo, in Mosambiek in, tot by Massingir – 630 km
    22 - Blue Water Bay Vilanculous – 702 km
    23 - Blue Water Bay
    24 - Blue Water Bay (Dalk ‘n besoek aan die eilande?)
    25 - Inhassoro via sand pad en ‘n besoek aan Nhamabwe Village noord – 131 km
    26 - Gorongoza – 438 km - 8h45
    27 - Gorongoza – rondry – 63.2
    28 - Missionary Kampering – 580 km
    29 - Ilha da Mozambique – 560 km
    30 - Ilha da Mozambique (Besoek die eiland)
    31 - Nacala via kus tracks - 237 km – 7h56
    01/09 - Nacala
    02 - Pangane noord van Pemba - 469 km – 9h29
    03 - Pangane
    04 - Draai by Rovuma Rivier – 354 km
    05 - Pemba – 437 km
    06 - Pemba
    07 - Pemba
    08 - Pemba
    09 - Marrupa – 441 km – 8h16
    10 - Mbatamila in Niassa Park – 144 km – 4h20
    11 - Rovuma Rivier – 62.5 km – 3h04
    12 - Begg’s Kampplek – 169.5 km – 9h09
    13 - Mbatamila – 107 km – 7h03
    14 - Lichinga – 450 km – 10h00 (Teerpad)
    15 - Chiwanga by Metangula op Malawi Meer in Moz – 117 km – 2h55
    16 - Chiwanga, Rondry – 21 km – 2h00
    17 - Palm Lodge of Nkopola Lodge - suidekant Malawi Meer in Malawi – 350.7 km – 8h00
    18 - Nkopola lodge of Eagles Nest
    19 - Cool Runnings of Steps in Senga Bay – 258 km – 4h00
    20 - Liwonde, Mvuu Kamp – 328 km – 7h32
    21 - Zomba Plateau – 144 km – 6h27
    22 - Mt Mulange, ry om berg – 256 km – 5h50
    23 - In Moz in, suid na Chimoio – 698 km
    24 - Beitbrug, Tshipise – 765 km + 54.5 km
    25 - Tshipise
    26 - Tshipise na Huis – 473 km – 5h30
    27 - Kry alles reg by die huis

Pierre, you might be biting off more than you can chew. It took us around 6 hours from Pomene to Vilankoulos in April - that's about 200 km. Unless the roads have improved dramatically since then, you might be under estimating the time from Giyarondo to Vilankoulos
    Gavin

I agree with Gavpike - Way under estimating!
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Benphala View Post
    I agree with Gavpike - Way under estimating!
    Pierre, I agree with those comments. Campissimo Aguia Pesqueira to Quissico took us nine hours (we don't go over 100km/h on Moz roads) and Quissico to Pomene took us seven hours (with a half hour market stop). The 60 or so km between Massinga and Nhachengue is under construction and very slow going, although they are resurfacing it at high speed (they did 10km in the four weeks between us heading north and coming back down south). Also, I think that Pemba to Marrupa in one day is over-ambitious - Monetpuez to Marrupa is by all accounts a very slow track.

Tony

Thanks for the feedback, will then make another stop in between if needed. I am still hoping that the Limpopo will be low enough to cross in which case we will go via Pafuri with a bushcamp somewhere. At times we are a bit mad, drove from Paindane to Pretoria on a easter Monday 2 years ago through Swaziland in 17 hours and last year in Angola from 07h00 in the morning to 23h30 from Huambo to the Nam border. As a rule we prefer not to drive at night but sometimes it work for us, on very bad potholed roads like in Angola there is very little traffic at night and you see the potholes very well with the spots. At that stage we were just looking fiorward to a shower in Etosha after 16 days in the bush so we decided to push on at a slow speed.

Default hidden little gems in mozambique

Quote Originally Posted by Skim View Post
    Pomene North Bank - Casa Rei!

the above quote made me decide to go and try Pomene North Bank ... then a found a fantastic place next to casa rei namely paradise beach lodge ... wow man, it is an amazing place!
    Toyota Prado 4.0l Petrol
    OME Suspension

Previously2002 Disco TD5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast