Poor Mans Drawer System - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Explorer View Post
    Very nice Stubbzie. I am going with something more or less the same. Just saving more money and getting more space by not using amo boxes but a bit larger box with a plastic draw. It works also very well when you come back and stag-and-stock it all in the garage without having boxes all over the place. We nickname it Kit Cat boxes as we got it from Kit Cat Wholesalers in Church Street Pretoria West. I never saw this specific box anywhere else. I my self and a number of my friends also rigg out our trailers with this boxes that only goes for about R85 each the last time I bought and they really last. I have some boxes that are over 5 years old and have done a lot of ruff trips. Not one broken yet.
    Phew, R85 is cheap. At safari centre they have the black ammo boxes for R150. That's almost double, Maybe post a picture if you are able?
    2000 TD5 110 "The Gecko"
    1982 3.5 RRC "The Project"
    http://sites.google.com/site/projectrangie

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Most carpet places stock it. I get mine from "SA Vloerweelde" in Bellville. They are behind the Sanbel building.
    Don't go to the carpet places where you would normaly buy your household carpet from. The best places are those little out of the way places in the busy city centres, the ones that cater for the taxi and DIY trade.

At least this is what found.
    2000 TD5 110 "The Gecko"
    1982 3.5 RRC "The Project"
    http://sites.google.com/site/projectrangie

Default My version

I see there are a couple of people interested in a simple / cheap drawer system. So I decided to post a couple of pics of mine also.

As said earlier, I put a plank in the back (got the carpet from a place that specializes in car sound), resting on the wheel arches, and bolted it down through the holes the jump seats were attached to. Got 4 plastic boxes from a plastic shop at Umhlanga Crescent, if I remember correctly, R100 each. Makro might also have these..
    They are 200 x 385 x 615 mm, and 4 of them fit in perfectly. They also have wheels that help with the removal.
    One for all my recovery equipment, one for camping equipment like extra ropes, bungi's, lights, spare tent pegs etc, one for cutlery and one for food stuff, like bread, buns, tin foods, snacks etc.

When we are at the campsite, we sometimes remove the lids of the two front boxes, makes access to the "drawers" easier. But the containers hardly ever leaves the back of the car. (They can also be useful as a small table if stacked onto each other.) And as soon as we pack up we put the lids back on. The food and cutlery boxes are closest to the door, because they are accessed most often.

One improvement might be to add support for the plank in the middle, especially if you are going to carry heavy stuff on top of it.

There are also a small space left on the right hand side of the "drawers". I can fit my jack and Full size spade in there. (Not shown in pictures)
    The space also allows for the drawers to 'clear' the rear door when pulling them out.

Hope someone can use the idea, and even improve on it...

Total cost +- R700
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Botswana 2009 012.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	60371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Botswana 2009 013.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	60372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Botswana 2009 757.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	60373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Botswana 2009 004.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	60374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Botswana 2009 001.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	60375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3761.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	60376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3762.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	60377  
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

I would love to see some other ideas also!
    Show us some pictures of your "poor mans" drawer system!
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

And this was mine for the Prado. Welded steel, marine ply and carpeting. Works a treat. Have loaded about 100 Kg's on it - and no bend.

I fit four ammon cases underneath, and use insertion rubber matting to stop the slide. As an added bit I added handles to the sides of the ammo cases to make them easier to get out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by John Bayley View Post
    I see most people build the drawer unit for a defender, does anyone have ideas for a disco 2
    I am in the process of building a set of drawers for a Disco 2. Used 25mm Square tude and 25x12 rectangular tube and 1.2mm aluminium vastrap plate. The bottom drawer slides out on a heavy duty railing used for kitchen cupboards. I haven't been keeping track of the costs, but it is still way cheaper than having bought the whole set. I will take some photos and place them.

Default Re: Poor Mans Drawer System

I need to rev this old thread. Some really great ideas. I intend something similar.

Just one question though. Whoever completed these clever drawer systems, how did you affix the whole plywood structure to the floor of the vehicle? Or is it just kept and not bolted?
    Does the whole thing along with the fridge not jump around on a bumpy road?

Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    I need to rev this old thread. Some really great ideas. I intend something similar.

Just one question though. Whoever completed these clever drawer systems, how did you affix the whole plywood structure to the floor of the vehicle? Or is it just kept and not bolted?
    Does the whole thing along with the fridge not jump around on a bumpy road?
    I bolted mine down to the seat fixtures on the floor using hook bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I bolted mine down to the seat fixtures on the floor using hook bolts.
    Thanks

Mine just rests on the floor. There are 4 tie down hooks in the floor so I could attach to those if needed. It fits snug in the space and doesnt shift
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

We have been traveling with my 110 and have organized our self quite well. I made a "box" to hold 3 see through addis bins. This is a simple plywood box with a simple locking mechanism. I put a 16mm plywood sheet between wheel arches and below that goes all tools and recovery equipment. Then, in front of that a box, with 2 lids, to take all the cooking equipment ant tools. If you look at the roof there is a lot of waisted space. I made the 2 bins, from Aluminium, that hangs from a frame in the roof with a simple latch. Erika made bags to fit these and this is now used for our clothes as this was always a problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	551104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FLUM1323.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	551105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KFEA9779.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	551106  
    Me Defender TD5 110 (Betty Boob)
    Swambo Defender TD5 90 (Komba)
    VW Caddy (MINIROK)

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Mine just rests on the floor. There are 4 tie down hooks in the floor so I could attach to those if needed. It fits snug in the space and doesnt shift
    So, it's doable... But does it not jump up over a hump which you perhaps did not notice, or a sudden pothole?

I must say though, the structure looks great. It gives me an idea or two.
    Last edited by Teryos; 2019/12/18 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    So, it's doable... But does it not jump up over a hump which you perhaps did not notice, or a sudden pothole?

I must say though, the structure looks great. It gives me an idea or two.
    In my case I needed to tie it down because the base acted as a support for a cantilever beam when I pulled the drawer out which is over 1.0 meter. However, I have found that it is necessary to secure the entire drawer system when going off road particularly where corrugations are encountered, you will be amazed at the damage that the constant vibration can cause.

Looks great, know the feeling regarding the 'manufactured' items. I have a 96 LWB pajero and couldnt find anything so did something similar. Made a box frame using 18mm ply bit also mad a single drawer which runs about 75% of the length. At the rear I have a hinged lid and all my tools, spares, oil etc go in there.
    Sorry no pics but it works a treat.

They say that necessity is mother of invention

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2