Roads in N. Moz

Thread: Roads in N. Moz

Exclamation Roads in N. Moz

Hi guys, anyone been travelling in N.Moz recently? I know the rains were late but cannot find out if its still raining and if roads are passable. A group of us are leaving Friday 14th heading through Zim and into Malawi, then plan to cross into Moz at Mandimba (near southern tip of lake Malawi and head via Massangulo, Malanga,Marrupa to Niassa park. I gather some of this route is usually quite bad and road into park is seldom used with much black cotton soil. This is not good news if its very wet. Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by OverlandPete; 2010/05/12 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandPete View Post
    Hi guys, anyone been travelling in N.Moz recently? I know the rains were late but cannot find out if its still raining and if roads are passable. A group of us are leaving Friday 14th heading through Zim and into Malawi, then plan to cross into Moz at Mandimba (near southern tip of lake Malawi and head via Massangulo, Malanga,Marrupa to Niassa park. I gather some of this route is usually quite bad and road into park is seldom used with much black cotton soil. This is not good news if its very wet. Any advice appreciated.
    Hi Pete,

I don't have info re late rains, but the road is tarred all the way to Marrupa, and is then a bush track all the way to Montepuez then tar to Pemba. Marrupa to Montepuez is tricky if there has been rain as there are several river crossings, plus lots of mud. The access roads into Niassa will also be tricky. I will email someone who is currently working in the reserve to see what the latest info is - it may take a few days as they are on bushmail on a satphone.

Tony

Thanks Tony - hoping for reply before tomorrow night as will pack computer fri morning to hit the road and therafter will have no comms.
    Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandPete View Post
    Thanks Tony - hoping for reply before tomorrow night as will pack computer fri morning to hit the road and therafter will have no comms .
    Peter.

Pete no reply yet but do you have a mobile mail or cell? Send it to me on tony.weaver at inl.co.za and I will keep in touch.

Thanks again Tony - you are a star. I will take my mobile - 071 6051532, and have requested roaming to be enabled so should be able to get messages when there is a tower in the vicinity. I would appreciate any news in the next couple of weeks - got about 2 weeks in zim, and another 10 days or so in Malawi before we go into Moz, otherwidse we go up Lake Malawi, do Tanzania and then Niassa on the return, but thats a mission due to fuel issues - easier on the way up if roads permit. Take care and many thanks for your kind help and offer. Peter.

pete I will sms you with info when I get it no reply yet on Bushmail but Brenda from the Pemba Bush and Dive Camp has just driven from Malawi with no reported problems. Re fuel, do what we do and don't carry cans but buy a bunch of plastic Oki oil containers in the market in Lichinga (also the last place to buy decent veg) and as you empty them donate them to the villagers.

Hi all (and Pete, if you don't see this, I will also SMS it to you) here's the latest on northern Moz and Niassa Game Reserve roads. Brilliant news is that there is now fuel at Marrupa.

Hi Tony,

The reserve is unusually green for this time of the year, but all roads are passable from what I'm hearing. The Marrupa "Petromoc" is open and both Petrol & Diesel (35MT/lt) was available when we passed earlier in the month. One bridge was washed away on the Lichinga to Marrupa road, but has a decent bypass in place. You may encounter problems with grass seed on some western sections inside the reserve.