DVR & Jolene in hospital following rollover

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Exclamation DVR & Jolene in hospital following rollover

Hi Guys

On saturday there was a mishap (some of the details below from Gordon) but the pink Jeep ended up on its roof after a drop and Dirk And Jolene were seriously injured.

THIS is not the thread for pointing fingers and be a smart arse

Dirk is at the Unioun Hospital in Alberton in ICU last I heard from Elaine this morning. Couple of broken ribs, crushed 12th vertebrae and a punctured lung.

Jolene at Jhb General also with a crushed vertebrae. According to Ernie she is Ok

Please do whatever you do, They are in my prayers.

After hauling the bloke out with the kinetic rope Dirk went up the slope we NEVER drive - got to the top, turned and was coming down when he saw that the Dozers had been busy removing sand, and the slope was now a 3m drop. When he hit the brakes the soft sand just kept on sliding, carrying the Jeep with it. The Jeep stopped right on the edge and for 3 seconds or so it looked ok, then a huge chunk under Dirks side front wheel gave away and the Jeep came down onto its nose then onto the roof, trapping Dirk and Jolene underneath it.

I saw this just after it happened and after 3 seconds or so - I actually realised this was a disaster, Pink Jeep's on its roof someone screamed (me? dunno) and then I was sprinting down the steepest section towards the Jeep, halfway down I saw the vehicles and other people only start moving towards the accident site, a 1000 things flashing through my mind - what was I going to find - there was no movement in the Jeep, no sounds nothing!!! I got there just as some guy on a quad got there, started ripping the shattered canopy away so I could see what was happening inside.

Dirk was pretty squashed, upside down and twisted - but OK, moaning a lot - obviously in a lot of pain, Jolene was quiet and half on her side - luckily with a lot more space to move, most of the damage on Dirk's side. Ernie and I ripped more debris and glass out so I could see what was the best plan of action, no access on Dirks side - pretty flat and jammed there, the guy from the quad manged to get Dirk out while I was trying to get Jolene's door open, no way - jammed solid, Ernie and my efforts were to no avail, managed to get Jolene to pull the lever on the side of her seat and pushed the backrest right back - she was able to crawl out.

Both her and Dirk were in pain, by now Rob and Deon arrived with their vehicles from the top, Jolene lay on Rob's back seat. Dirk was on his back on the ground, obviously in a lot of pain, I checked him out quickly, feet were able to move, had feeling in his legs, no pink froth on his lips. But complained of his back and we shouldn't worry as it was an old injury. Nonetheless, we weren't taking chances and we got him onto a makeshift spine board (ramp from the quad guy's trailer) and covered him with jackets and whatever to keep him warm. The guy who Dirk recovered's girlfriend had already called Netcare 911 and an ambulance was on its way.

After about an hour or so the ambulance arrived, Elaine and her daughter were there and Dirk was really starting to feel the pain, I think the initial shock was wearing off and he was now getting very uncomfortable. The paramedics had drips up and were taking vital signs etc, for the first time there was a little blood showing in Dirk saliva and this was worrying. All seems a blur as I write this - seems surreal, almost like I must pinch myself to see if I am dreaming or not. But it's real.......

Eventually a doctor arrived as the paramedics were not able to decide on the best plan of action, the doc assessed Dirk and Jolene and called for a helivac. He administered some painkillers and it was actually a relief to me to hear Dirk feeling a bit more relaxed - the pain must have been terrible. Seun arrived and Dirk I think was glad to have his family around, he had been pretty confused about everything, wasn't sure what had happened and where he was, but with his loved ones around he also felt a bit happier I think.

Anyhow - the helicopter could not land at the bowl as it was too dusty and moved to another area, Dirk and Jolene were loaded into the ambulance and slowly taken to where the helicopter was waiting. I stayed behind and provided light for Jonathan to change the wheel on Seun's car which had a puncture and then waited for Seun so we could tow the Jeep back to Dirk's house.

Dirk is at the Unioun Hospital in Alberton in ICU last I heard from Elaine this morning. Couple of broken ribs, crushed 12th vertebrae and a punctured lung.

Jolene at Jhb General also with a crushed vertebrae. According to Ernie she is Ok
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

Best of luck to them, please tell them good luck,w e wish them a speedy recovery
    Things can go wrong very quickly when off roading
    Vital lesson, never drive along, had they been alone this could have been very different
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Eish!
    Get well soon Dirk and Jolene!
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; ½T=1 but, 1/2T=¼

I spoke to Ernie and Tannie Elaine last night Jolene is going for a operation tomorrow and oom Dirk is still in ICU but stable just lots of pain.

Hope they recover quicly and keep on doing what they loved to do.
    Mazda BT 50
    2013 auto 3.2 4x4
    (aka Mazdarati)
    Towing our moblie home
    Imagine Comfortvan

Don't get confused between my personality & attitude. My Personality is who I AM, my attitude depends on who YOU are!!!

Eish....this happens so easily...Hoping for a speedy recovery for the both of you...
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Sorry to hear, will hold them in our thoughts and prayers.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

Hi Randy sorry to hear about this, I know the pain Dirk was in as I had a high speed head on accident on a quad bike last year.

Where did this happen?Prayers go out to Dirk Jolene and family.
    Stephen

Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6SE
    Freelander 2 - Swambo

Dirk and Jolene, our thoughts are with you. Hope you get well soon.

Get well soon Dirk and Jolene - terrible thing to happen, we'll be thinking of you.

Was not nice to see and experience, but these things do happen. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Dirk And Jolene!

If anybody would like to read the full story and see what happened, please check here.

http://www.xtreme4x4sa.co.za/Forum/s...-15th-May-2010

Thanks for the good wishes!
    Nissan Terrano 2 LWB 2.7TDi - 2" lift - BFG KM2

Get well soon! I'll be thinking of you.
    Adriaan

RogerT Guest

Here's wishing them botha speedy recovery!!!!

Where did this happen, which trail??

Thanks for all the well wishes.

( If you are wondering, Jolene is my fiancée )
    Ride 1 (For Playing)
    1999 4L V8 SWB Payota or Toyjero

Ride 2 (For Trips)
    1999 3.5L V6 SWB Pajero

Best of wishes and a speedy recovery to oboth.

Hennie Beukes
    Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C Legend 45 4X4
    Challenger Wilderness 450 with Tentco TTT

RogerT Guest

Ebot.....has the trail been closed or others warned with signage ect??

Hope your Lady gets well soon Bud!!!!

Wishing Dirk & Jolene and their families & friends everything of the best. A speedy recovery to both of you.

Erin
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2007 Volkswagen T5 4Motion

Get well soon Dirk and Jolene!!!
    300 TDi 90, OME 2" lift, OME steering damper, steering and diff guards, removed front and rear anti roll bar, snorkel, extra fuel tank, roof rack, running on KM2's

Quote Originally Posted by RogerT View Post
    Ebot.....has the trail been closed or others warned with signage ect??

Hope your Lady gets well soon Bud!!!!
    A bit higher up there is a link. On there is a lot op pics of Chimes. It is basically old mine dumps where we play. So there is no warning signs. Thanks for the well wishes.

Regards.
    Ride 1 (For Playing)
    1999 4L V8 SWB Payota or Toyjero

Ride 2 (For Trips)
    1999 3.5L V6 SWB Pajero

thoughts and prayers go out to all.
    Rich

In my prayers, all of you, especially Dirk and family!
    David Wolmarans

Ford Ranger 2.5 4 x 4 DC turbo diesel, bog standard (Have now fitted a Burnco front bumper, looking for a snorkel)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast