Question A few pointers needed...

Hi,

I am planning to travel from Sesriem camp site to Opuwo, through the Skeleton coast national park.
    I have done a bit of research and thought the best thing would be to go from Sesreim to Walvis bay, spend the night there, leave early and drive through the Skeleton coast National Park, spend the full day there, leave late afternoon and camp somewhere outside of the park en route to Opuwo, can anyone recommend whether this is do able, and what is a good campsite in Walvis Bay and outside the Skeleton Coast Park (I believe Torra baai isnt open in July – or am I misguided in that?)...

This is my basic plan:
    Fish River to Sesreim
    Full day in Sesreim
    Sesreim to Walvis
    Walvis through Skeleton coast park to Torrabaai, or somewhere similar outside of upper side of park,
    Torrabaai Alternative to Opuwo
    Full Day in Opuwo going up to the falls etc
    Opuwo to Etosha..

If you have been up there and have any advice, I would really appreciate a few pointers

Also, would the Opuwo country hotel campsite be the best place to base ourselves and drive up to Epupa and explore the Kaokoland?

Hello. There are quite a few campsites from Walvis Bay to and including Swakopmund but range from cheap and noisy to expensive and usually fully booked. An alternative is the Swakopmund Municipal Rest camp which has a range of chalets and bungalows to suit most pockets. I stayed there for two nights earlier this year and would go back. Has anyone seen the new 'Prisoner' TV series? The 'Village' is set there, by the way.

For Skeleton coast park you must enter north of Henties Bay at the Ugabmond gate where a transit permit is available but you must then exit at Sprinbokwasser gate the same day. It takes a little over 2 hours to the entrance and a similar time to the exit gate. I would be inclined to skip Tora Baai and stop at Palmwag Lodge....best book in Swakopmund office.....around another 2 hours on. From there it is a comfortable drive to Opuwo and even Epupa Falls if you were short of days. to stay 2 days at the falls is a good idea. Opuwo is good for stores and fuel but has little else to offer.

Phil
    Last edited by touchthewild; 2010/05/14 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spelling...again

LLL,
    Take Phil's advise as a guide line, he is correct - of course.

Just to add:
    There is a nice campsite, albeit a bit windy in July halfway between Walvis and Swakop and just below the high dunes. Complex is growing into a holiday resort.
    If skeleton coast is a destination, take a day extra and drive up to Terrace Bay, rent a chalet and enjoy the local pub food (recommended).
    Nice atmosphere and you buy yourself a ticket to explore the coast, beaches, shipwrecks and the dunes away fro the crowd.
    Fuel / Diesel available, credit card accepted.

If you are adventurous, there is an "unofficial" exit through Uniab riverbed and linking to Hoanib river, ending up in Sesfontein. (2 days drive and wild camping where you select).
    If interested PM me so I can copy you the details.
    You need good navigation skills and google earth pictures, a few waypoints of importance and a reliable 4x4, better with back-up, as you will not encounter anybody during these 200 kms of no-mans-land.

Sesfontein to Epupa is a day trip via Opuwo. Don't waste your time in Opuwo, not worth the while, just restock and refuel and hit the road, there are better places to rest!
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2010/05/14 at 10:06 PM.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Hi Kalahari. Those rivers are my favorite playgrounds so I would love to know some more....PM on the way. Would there not be a problem when the gate doesn't checck us out? Wouldn't want a search party looking for me!

I prefer the Community camp right at the head of the falls, it is excellent. There is also the Omaranga camp next door which has a bar/restaurant. I haven't used it so can't comment. I don't think there is a need to book and not sure if you can, anyway. There is a great walking trail down river with viewpoint over the falls. If you have a fast connection, here is some footage I took a couple of years ago http://64.23.125.40/Journal/RiversLarge.wmv

Awesome, thanks! Changed plans, and going to spend 2 days there

When we were in Epupa in August 2008, Omarunga was full, but Community camp wasn't by far…
    The campsites of the community camp are wider and best situated just over the falls. Nice place to stay!
    But Omarunga's bar to have a drink at sunset, looking at the croc's… Nice too! (and you can visit the bar even if you stay at the other camp ).

Default Epupa

LLL

The "community camp" at Epupa belongs to Koos Verwey, as does Camp Syncro in the Mariefluss. For bookings, contact him at

[email protected]

Camp Syncro/Epupa Falls
    Tel 065-685021/0811492840/065-695106
    fax: 088617368
    http://www.kaoko-namibia.com/
    Francois Johnson

(swambo: Christel)

Our rides
    • 2010 Isuzu KB300LX DTeq 4x4 D/C
    • Metalian Maxi Trailer, Maxine