Post Should I buy a Mahnidra

Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting a new car and I am also new to the 4X4 & SUV setup and am currently looking at the Scorpio 2.6 TDI GLX. Will I be ok buying a Scorpio? I have heard some stories of guys going through 3 gearboxes and engines not lasting... Please advise

Hi Wild Mike
    Are you looking at new or second hand .
    If new you will only get the 2.2 mhawk auto very good motor , you can speak to Herman Muller he has one and as far as i am aware of very happy.
    My brother in law bought a second hand suv 4x4 and is happy as a pig in you now where.
    Just make sure about service and warranty on second hand suv's if they exist and if the service b ooks are up to date .
    do not axcept invoices and so on .

Brilliant little vehicle and very capable not because i sell them becouse half my family rides them to and are happy.
    If you need more info pm me and i will try and help anyway i can.

cheers

I am the very happy owner of a 2004 Scorpio 4x2 2.6 SUV. I bought it with just over 80k km and it now has just over 113k km and not a days trouble. Just fun fun fun. I tow my Caravette 6 caravan with no problem and get 9.2km/l towing and 10km/l in town and 10.5km/l highway. I will only let it go if I can get a 4x4 Scorpio. Try one, you wont regret it.

Hi Wild Mike
    I am buying the latest THAR 4X4. It has a Borg Warner gearbox and a diesel engine engineered by Robert Bosch (Germany) and AVL (Austrian)
    I took it for a test drive and WOW....Blow me down...this is a BRILLIANT vehicle
    SOLID...RUGGERED...SMOOTH...POWERFUL and really good looking
    Technical Car chat forums have only good things to say

Hi Wild Mike

Like Scorpio Turbo I have a 2.6 GLX 4X2. I bought it wit 30000km on the clock, it now has 62000km. Very good rugged vehicle!! Go ahead and buy one!!

Mike, these seem like rugged, capable and reliable vehicles and are overlooked by many people in my opinion. Having a look at the specs, it seems to be kept refreshingly simple and should be serviceable on a DIY basis assuming you can get the service parts from a Midas and the like.

Definately worth a look if you are new to 4x4ing
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

Default To buy or not to buy?

Mike et al, I would say you would be making a very good decision in terms of cost to benefit ratio. As stated the Scorpio is rugged and reliable and I don't think you will be troubled in any harsh 4x4 environment. I've had mine through Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe etc and monthly on a farm. It can pull a good load as well and get through. Things to check are your proximity to dealership for servicing and whether you want or need a service plan. It does however lose its book value, but if you want to keep it for a long period...you will not have any worries. The diesel engines were designed to last...hence no enormous power ranges (kW), but it has enormous torque, and when in low-range, it is a dream to drive offroad. I have the older Scorpio 2.6 and my friend has just bought the new 2.2 Scorpio - having given up a 3.5v6 Terracan. He says the Mahindra is the superior vehicle in his opinion (and I would agree) and certainly very economic in terms of fuel consumption. No I don't work for a dealership....I just love my vehicle as a retiree from the oil industry - especially as it has not let me down, and has not disappointed, even in the sand dunes at Atlantis, when under the gaze of some very expensive 4x4!s.

Thanks guys and gals for all you input and putting my mind at ease with this purchase.

i am on the verge of sealing the deal with the dealer and hopefully i will be the proud owner of a 2nd hand Scorpio 2.6TDi 4x2 2006 model with only 52000km on the clock.

thanks again

Wild Mike

Default Maintenance

Hi Wild Mike

Maintenance is easy to to on the Mahindra. I am doing mine myself, very easy and cheap! I do my oil changes every 5000Km, Fuel filters every 10000Km, diff and gearbox oil every 20000km and coolant and brake fluid every 2 years. I use Donaldson filters. I hope you get many years and many thousands of km's in your Mahindra.

Regards

Question Mahindra Vibration

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have purchased my Scorpio SUV and I am very happy with it so far.

A quick question, i have picked up a vibration on the car when heading into speeds from 100km/h onwards. it is also not a constant vibration as it comes and goes. i kept watch to see if it might be the road surface but it is not that, the tires have been balanced and re-aligned and the vehicle is running straight. had a suggestion about the prop shaft balancing weights and flat spots on the tires. any other suggestions will be welcome please...

I've also had some vibrations on highway speeds, balanced and rotated wheels didn't solve much. Found some info in a Indian forum that some Mahindra rims are out of round or have flat spots. Put on a set of A-Line mags for R2500 at Autoquip in Centurion and gone is the vibrations.
    The mags also made a big improvement to my Scorpio's apearance as they are 0 offset. The cars track increased by 4inches, made a noticible improvement when cornering aswell. She now looks mean with a wide stance, not like the original rims, then she looked like a fat chich with thin ancles ready to fall over.

Hi Scorpio, i also thought it might be the rims but wasn't sure what about the propshaft? could that be an option. and why just at certain speeds and not constant. i thought if it was the tyres/wheels it would be constant.
    If it is the rims does it mean they are bent or what?
    Last edited by Wild Mike; 2010/06/07 at 12:31 PM.

Just got back yesterday from a hunt 60km's North of Zeerust, and one of the guys with us pitched up in a Mahindra. I've overlooked them from day one, and was very surprised to see this chap in one!

Knowing him, I was expecting him to be in a Cruiser or Range Rover or something. When questioned, his report on the Mahindra was glowing! Tough and more than capable! His only gripe was top speed was lacking abit, but apart from that, very satisfied and impressed!
    120 Prado 4.0 VX

Extras:
    2 x SA Window Flags
    1 x Portable Draught Machine
    8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Mike View Post
    Hi Scorpio, i also thought it might be the rims but wasn't sure what about the propshaft? could that be an option. and why just at certain speeds and not constant. i thought if it was the tyres/wheels it would be constant.
    If it is the rims does it mean they are bent or what?
    Unless the propshaft has been damaged, it shouldn't need rebalancing, the weights are spotwelded in the factory and shouldn't just fall of.
    You can check the D-type bearing that the propshaft is running through. If it has play it might cause vibrations. Also check the universal joints for wear.
    As for the tyres and rims, in all the years that I have been driving cars, a unbalanced wheel or bent rim usualy only shows up at a sertain speed, something to do with resonance. All I know is that after I fitted the mags, my 120km/h vibration was completely gone. But thats just my 2c

Hi Wild Mike,

Had a similar problem on my brand new Scorpio 2.6TD 4x4 that I bought at the end of 2009. Mahindra East Rand replaced the steel rims with a brand new set and had the same problem. The rims all had a flat spot. They then fitted mags no charge and the problem was solved. Previous Scorpio was a 2005 2.6TD 4x2, did 160000km in 4 years with no problems. Very happy with current Scorpio and off to Botswana on 18 June for 10 days towing off road trailer. Have done both De Wildt and Berakah off road trails in the last few months and was very impressed. Just on a few of the obstacles did I chicken out!! Used low range a few times and it worked well.
    Mahindra Scorpio Adventure 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013