Default urgent domestic electrical question

Hi all

I have a separate distribution board in the garden linked to my main board and which feeds my pool, garages, remote gate and studio. Got some water in it and now it keeps tripping.

Question: can I spray Q20 in it or will that be dangerous?

q20 should be ok. Just make sure everything is off before you spray. Oil should displace the water, and is non conducting.......

Lectro Kleen from Spanjaard is the electrical Q20 equivilant.

Will work just down drown itg.
    Stephen

Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6SE
    Freelander 2 - Swambo

thanks all, will keep you posted on the outcome.

Nope, didn't work. I think that when it first popped, it might have fused some wires, so I've called the electrician in for tomorrow to sort it out. But thanks for the advice all.

TW
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2010/05/09 at 05:23 PM.

use SWAMBOs hair dryer. the oil makes every bit of dust stick which makes it worse in the long run. the main problem is corrosion inside the circuit breakers.

also what is tripping? the earth leakage(the one with the test button?) or one of the normal breakers? the earth leakage is very sensitive, potentially a smaller problem.
    1997 Cruiser 1HZ - New Toy
    2003 Lexus IS200 - Daily
    2006 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 - Trouble Maker

Cool

Q20 = waste of time.

All depending how much water got in. Best is replace em all and make sure you dont get wate rin again.
    Inseide them circuit breakers and more so earth lackages are plenty of voids and contacts that collect and dont like water... Dont fix, replace
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Q20 = waste of time.

All depending how much water got in. Best is replace em all and make sure you dont get wate rin again.
    Inseide them circuit breakers and more so earth lackages are plenty of voids and contacts that collect and dont like water... Dont fix, replace
    this is good advice, dont assume the electrician is just taking you for a ride if he suggests this.
    the problem is the resulting corrosion on the coil and other components in the MCBs & ELU (if you have on in your sub-board) could cause them not to trip when they should. especially as its a garden sub board, at the end of a long cable where the voltage is lower.
    By the formula amps=watts/volts, the lower the voltage, the higher the amps(load), so as you get to the end of the cable and the voltage drops, the load at the end is higher then the beginning, so you could get overload at the end of the cable without the MCBs inside your house at the mainboard tripping

If you dont have an ELU(earth leakage) at the sub board, and it runs off the one in the main board its a good idea to bypass it off the one in the main board and mount one in your sub board, so the next time your garden lights or plug get damp it trips out there and not the whole house, and you end up in the dark trying to find the problem. they cost about R400 max, but worth it.
    1997 Cruiser 1HZ - New Toy
    2003 Lexus IS200 - Daily
    2006 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 - Trouble Maker

Do what any sparky does firstly when he gets to your house:

Switch off everything and unplug everything.

Switch main circuit breaker on and start switching stuff on and plugging it in one by one.

You will eventually find the problem.
    Dit Reent.... n Kraai Knetter.... Erens Poep n Vark.....

First step is to stop the water from getting into the system. This isnt a cars engine and just spray. If soaking wet you must replace, The internal parts can carode and cause problems later.
    There offcourse could be a bunch of wires with connectors on lying in water at the bottom of the DB. I am sure the electrician would sort it for you.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Thanks again all,

The electrician came this morning and has sorted out the problems - I wasn't home, but as it was explained to me, the pool timer had been damaged when it tripped the first time, and it was that that was tripping out the system. He also replaced a whole bunch of corroded components and all is working fine now (it does have a separate earth leakage switch on the main board). Me and domestic electrics are not good friends, so I always prefer to call in the professionals, and this guy has done lots of good work for me in the past - useful, because our house is nearly 80 years old, so there's always something pernickety going on.

Tony

So how's this for coincidence? Turns out our normal electrician wasn't around, so my wife called in a guy, James, recommended by our local estate agent. He rocks up, and turns out he is a member of this forum. I haven't met him yet, so James, if you read this, what's your forum name? Always nice to give work to fellow forum members.

Tony