Safe Trails for kids

Default Safe Trails for kids

Hi All,

I haven't been doing much 4x4 as I would like to as I have 2 small kids (2 and an almost 1).

I would like to start taking them to reserves where the trails are not too bad (they are strapped in their car seats).

Please can you advise whether the following reserves are fine and what to look out for, and if there are any more you can add.
    These are just for visits and not camping.

• Gwahumbe
    • Hluhluwe
    • Tala
    Thanks.

Doesn't Hluhluwe have malaria? Esp with all the rain?

gwahumbe perfect for kids. took my niece and her little daughter there while they were over from the UK. saw lots of zebbies and now the kid wants one as a pet.
    loads of animals and easy drive. there's a nice play area for the kids up by reception

thanks for the info guys...when I spoke to the Hluhluwe office, they said no malaria risk...but if there's even a slight risk, I wouldnt go...can anyone confirm?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Koda,

Hluhluwe-Imfolozi is great. They do not have camping anyway. But the routes will be a joy (for you the driver) to drive and there are quite a few picnic-spots to hop off and stretch a leg.

There is no population in Imfolozi to breed malaria. Mosquitoes on their own CANNOT give you malaria.

With all the rains you can pick up a stowaway mozzie carrying malaria that came by bus from a high risk area right there in Durban!

For us who are used to Kruger the hilly country of Imfolozi is just tops! The dirt roads are good and interesting and the views endless.

Enter at Nyalazi Gate and work up to the climax at Hilltop camp. At Hilltop take a slow stroll through the restaurant building and look at the historical photographs displayed there. Enjoy the views and then drop down to the Memorial Gate.

Unbelievable place!

Quote Originally Posted by KODA View Post
    Hi All,

I haven't been doing much 4x4 as I would like to as I have 2 small kids (2 and an almost 1).

I would like to start taking them to reserves where the trails are not too bad (they are strapped in their car seats).

Please can you advise whether the following reserves are fine and what to look out for, and if there are any more you can add.
    These are just for visits and not camping.

• Gwahumbe
    • Hluhluwe
    • Tala
    Thanks.
    Howzat Koda
    Tala is excellent for young kids (animals, kiddie's swimming pool etc) and most of the trails are easy. They have a decent restaurant as well.
    Shongweni Dam when they get a bit older to enjoy the canoeing, mt biking and abseiling in addition to the animals, trampolines, jungle gyms and the trails.
    Lake Eland is also worth a visit. For more info and pics on Tala and Lake Eland, check the trails pages at www.kzn4x2.co.za

Enjoy

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice...much appreciated....will definately look at the trails recommended...will also try to join you guys on some of your outings.