Nissan Hardbody 2x4 3.0 TD

Default Nissan Hardbody 2x4 3.0 TD

Hello All,

I have been driving a Nissan 3.0 TD double cab and have loved this car almost as much as I love my wife. Unfortunately at around 130 000 km, after never having used the vehicle to tow anything and basically using it very softly, I popped the number two piston and was told by Nissan that I am looking at around R 30 000 to R 40 000 to repair. I was referred to a dealer to buy a reconditioned diesel engine which I did and once again all was plain sailing. And then last week, at just touching 200 000 km, the diesel pump stopped working. It cost me a bloody fortune to tow the car firstly to Oudtshoorn Nissan, and then back to Cape Town.

Once again I am told that I am looking at several thousand bucks, like R 4000 to remove the pump, another 5 or 6 grand to repair and then 3 to 5 grand to put it back on.

On top of this I am told that the next thing to go will most likely be either the turbo or the head, with several thousand involved again. I would like to change to a petrol engine. This bakkie is fully paid for and does not work very hard so there is no need for me to buy another vehicle with a huge car payment for another five years as I do not do a lot of mileage anymore. I have been offered a 3,3 V6 petrol conversion with all the bits, eg new tank, gear box, clutch, diff, electronics, management system, dyno testing, exhaust...the works.....complete with a 3 month no questions asked guarantee.

Needless to say I am now so skittish around diesel engines and the ENORMOUS costs associated with their repair that I shudder to think of anything else going wrong with this diesel.

The biggest attraction for me is that if a total catastrophe hits my petrol it will be somwhere in the region of only 6 grand to buy a complete new engine....yes I know about the drop in resale value, and the increase in consumption and and and....but is there any REAL compelling reason not to do this.....

Many thanks
    Last edited by Boerie Boerewors; 2010/05/04 at 01:31 PM. Reason: want to add in the current mileage

The 3.3i is a lovely motor, but heavy on fuel. Dont say I didn't warn you.......

If I were you, I would have done exactly the same....

Default Thanks

Yep, you are not the first to warn me about the thirsty 3,3l V6 motor.....I am told that it punishes you severely for driving like a breakdown bakkie driver......so I will have to keep a cool head....at least I will sleep at night not worrying about what next is going to pop on that diesel.....I am so paranoid about diesel and its outrageous cost that we traded my wife's old shape Merc 220 CDi in for a new C200 Compressor....man I miss that diesel's grunt at low revs....

I drove a 3.3V6 for 18 months from new...
    Averaged 7.9km/l Not bad...
    Big secret is to install a good name brand free-flow exhaust, My consumption improved drastically, for a while, then the sound was just too tempting to ignore... Ha Ha

Default Free flow exhaust

Could you let me know what brand of free flow exhaust you used please

I rode bot 3l TD and now drive a 3.3 petrol. I looked after my TD and she was on 175 000 when she was stolen. I spend R 6000 on injectors at around 130 000 as heard that incorrect injection contributes to the TD engine failures.

I got the 3.3 petrol because I did not trust second hand TD'd and were always scared of complete engine failure. All my friends experienced engine failures on their TD's.

The 3.3 is very nice but heavy on fuel (6km / l) and I love the way she drives. I had a very unique coil failure last week but phoning around it was confirmed as a very very rare problem.

For me the 3.3 is like a nice girlfriend - nice to be with and do things with (wink wink) -but she punishes your credit card when you take her shopping.
    Armand
    06 Nissan 3.3 D/C 4x4

Smile Thanks Armand

Thank you for your comments. I have also spoken to several people who have told me that engine failures on the TD at around 130 000 to 150 000 are quite common. I must say that I really could not face the prospect of buying a new bakkie at over R 300 000 so for me to spend R 29 000 for essentially a new bakkie made a lot of sense. I have new shocks and the suspension has been overhauled, the brakes have been done and the bakkie is a very good condition so why put myself through the pain of an expensive new car no matter how lekker it smells inside....

It is comforting to know that a number of people have done something similar with fairly good results so lets see....

I cannot wait to get my bakkie back.

Default Nissan Hardbody

Hi

I drive the Nissan Hardbody 3.0 V6 4x4 1999 (old shape) VG30 Motor. I need some advise. Last knight on my way home ,the car was driving smooth as ever - as always. This morning when I started her up (let het idle for couple minutes) I noticed an UGLY missfire, and it doesn't stop, even when driving.Left the car at home. I think it might be one of the following. (failed spark plug /Distributor / coil) and she's not warming up - staying cool. At least that's a relief. Oh yes, and a lot less power. Any ideas on what it could be...
    Cruzer

Hi Boerie,

What year model 3.0 TD do you have? I have a 2006 model with 142000 on and have had no problems. I add 250ml 2 stroke per tank, I heard this helps.

Robert.

Those of you who had enjin failures, what was your service intervals??