Terios owners

Page 1 of 115 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Terios owners

adolfschoe Guest

Default Terios owners

Like to hear from Terios owners about there experiences with this little terrier. I had experience of the first Terio's that was released here in SA, the little 1.3 lt of 1998. It was a little gem. My off road experience span over a period of over 30 years. I now own a 2010 4x4 manual and cannot stop the praises of this car. My serious 4x4 is a Terracan V6, heavily modified for serious off roading and overland trips. The use of the Terios will be as my everday car, trips where I don't need serious 4x4, and that includes all my golfing and most weekend camping trips. Already put it through it's paces at the Addo 4x4 trial and it performed extremely well. It is a real little gem, lot's of space inside and surprisingly capable out there when the tar stops - in fact, it will go quite far from where the main road ends !!! Would have loved a low range though, it would have been awesome off road then.

Default Terios owners

I own a 2003 T1. It's got a healthy 198000kms on the clock, and is still going strong considering that it spent it's 1st year as a "demo" with the technical director of Daihatsu SA. I do enjoy the looks on other roadies' faces when I simply take if off the road and leave them behind. For a "softy" it's a quite capable 4x4 due to the ground clearance.

Default Very happy.

I own a 98 with a few mods and very happy with it.
    At Sodwana when it gets really gets hot and thick she starts to shine.
    There are a few things that Daihatsu could keep in mind for future models but they'll figure it out(I hope).

adolfschoe Guest

Pitty to see so little persponse. But it's fine. The Terios remains to impress. It is not a hardcore 4x4 but it performs better off-road than 90% of the other soft roaders. Not to speak of the fuel economy. The nice thing for me though is that for the price of a platkar hatchback, I am now spoilt for choice when I open the garage door (double). Is it the Terios or the hard core 4x4. Whatever, they are equally good for there own applications, I will use whichever one for whatever I want to do on that specicfic time.

Can't comment too much as I have only had my 2nd hand 2004 Terios for about a month.

First thing I did was to fit bigger wheels (215/75/15) and they fit the wheelwells perfectly. It gives the vehicle a very nice appearance. Love the height of the old Terios.

I love the little car, although with my work load at the moment, I haven't been able to drive around a lot.

Average fuel usage at this stage is 14.5km/l.

Pieter

Ek is hartseer dat ek nie kan kommentaar lewer oor die terios se 4x4 vermoe nie. Ons het die Os gekoop omdat SWAMBO 'n kinderkar wou gehad het met seats en seatbelts vir die maatjies ook dus moes ons die "7seater" koop. Ek is bitterlik spyt dat die 4x4 nie in 7 sitplek weergawe kom nie. Ek sou dit beslis gevat het!

Sover dit by pad kom is die Os baie lekker in die dorp EN ekonomies (veral na die 1999 Merc C200 auto!) Langpad moet jy net nie te ver bo 120 gaan nie dan begin hy so bietjie hop, maar wow om na 600 km net 40l brandstof in te gooi is darem lekker!

Ons gaan volgende week 'n trippie oos kaap toe doen en het besluit om 4 volwassenes en 2 kinders in die Os te laai en dan 'n venterjie te sleep. Sal na dit kan raporteer oor die 1500 enjin se sleep vermoe.
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

adolfschoe Guest

Die Terios is 'n Toyota in hart en siel. Dit is ge-rebadge in sekere lande en verkoop as 'n Daihatsu in sommige en 'n Toyota in ander (Toyota Rush). Ek vind dat die 4x4 se padhou vermoe op grondpaaie absoluut uitstekend is. Die LWB lyk soos 'n kleiner weergawe van die Fortuner

Ek is mal oor my Terios. Het al op baie plekke uit gekom waar n mens nie sou dink so n klein SUV sou kon kom nie. Ek het die Off-Road package so in terme van ekstras het ek: Maxxi Nudge bar en side steps, tow bar, Pro Comp's ES 9000 series gas shock-absorbers, DVD-Satnav, Yokohama Geolander All Terrain tyres, free flow exhaust en spot lights.

Last edited by HalweJakkals; 2010/06/27 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoenraadB View Post
    Ek is hartseer dat ek nie kan kommentaar lewer oor die terios se 4x4 vermoe nie. Ons het die Os gekoop omdat SWAMBO 'n kinderkar wou gehad het met seats en seatbelts vir die maatjies ook dus moes ons die "7seater" koop. Ek is bitterlik spyt dat die 4x4 nie in 7 sitplek weergawe kom nie. Ek sou dit beslis gevat het!

Sover dit by pad kom is die Os baie lekker in die dorp EN ekonomies (veral na die 1999 Merc C200 auto!) Langpad moet jy net nie te ver bo 120 gaan nie dan begin hy so bietjie hop, maar wow om na 600 km net 40l brandstof in te gooi is darem lekker!

Ons gaan volgende week 'n trippie oos kaap toe doen en het besluit om 4 volwassenes en 2 kinders in die Os te laai en dan 'n venterjie te sleep. Sal na dit kan raporteer oor die 1500 enjin se sleep vermoe.
    Ek dink die verkoopspersoon het vir jou gejok...... my vrou het verlede week haar LWB 7 seater by die handelaar gaan haal.....4x4 weergawe.....

Die karretjie is oulik....baie spasie.....kan nog nie die 4x4 vergelyk nie- is te gewoond aan die Disco en die Super trucks......sal maar nog sien.....petrol verbruik is ook nog 'n teerpunt..... sal dit maar nog dophou......

Default Terios

The Terios is amazing! Not many people know what it's capable of. I have enjoyed many hours playing out on the sand dunes with it. It really impresses out on the sand.

It's definitely not a hardcore 4x4 and does struggle on mountain terrain when the wheels start to lift or where it's rocky. It is in fact only a 1.5l and lacks low range gearing. But then hardcore 4x4'ing is certainly not what you would purchase the Terios for.

There is most definitely nothing in its price range that can compare.

The only thing I was disappointed by was the sales team at Daihatsu in Cape Town. I feel they are not doing the product justice. I had to explain to them that it's a permanent 4x4 drive and not a 4x2 with diff lock.

adolfschoe Guest

Good to see there is such good response being posted on Terios owner experiences. This is really one amazing little vehicle. I also own a hardcore 4x4 vehicle which primary application is for overlanding and extended camping trips. The Terios on the other hand , which has replaced the platkar, is an excellent alternative for weekend trips when we want to explore the back and dirt roads. It is excellent on gravel and on sand tracks and the most amazing is the fuel economy. I am actually contemplating fitting a 2nd battery as well. It can actually be used for more than just weekend trips as long as their is not going to be real hardcore 4x4 driving involved. The only shortcoming is the lack of low range but then for this type of vehicle it is not needed. The build quality is also excellent. Vehicles are build for certain applications and this little terrier exceeds the expectations. I get on average about 13.4 km's per litre whereas with my hardcore 4x4 I get about 7 - 7.5 km's per litre. That is why the big brother will be parked and only used when it is needed. Economics make big sense and we would like to retire with enough to enjoy trips to the bush whenever we want - and this is where the Terios make a hell of a lot of sense in our daily application and well as our plans for the future, of which big brother will also play a big role .
    Last edited by adolfschoe; 2010/07/23 at 08:53 PM.

Default Terios Rocks!!!

Hi all.

Went to De Wildt this weekend for my first time and did we have fun.
    We meaning myself, swambo and baba.
    There are very limited photos due to the fact that swambo had to much fun and did not want to get out the car.

The main exercise was to see if the new BFG's did what they were suppose too

I would like to see more "Softies" on the trails as they are very capeble.
    Let me know if anyone is planning anything for this weekend around Gauteng.

Keep it safe and see you guys around.

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m585/Jvdheever/
    Last edited by Jacques.vdheever; 2010/11/03 at 10:16 AM.

Hi all
    I bought a demo (2011) 4x4 Terios package with many extra's and decided to fit aftermarket springs, shocks, dual battery system, an Indel B 45 L fridge / freezer and a decent set of A/T tyres (BFG's!) (p.s. The Terios now looks damn sexy with the BFG's!).

My wife and I decided we would undertake a trip to Botswana during the first two weeks of December 2011. We left for Twee Rivieren where our after-market shocks rattled loose. After a 3 hour battle, we managed to get the shock back in place and properly fastened! We then left for Nossob, where en route we were fortunate enough to come across 4 lions at Kij Kij. The poor state of the roads to and within the park resulted in my fridge/freezer connection also rattling loose, shorting and melting it into a useless blob of plastic. Needless to say, after much swearing, this too was fixed and we headed from Nossob to Mabuasehube. The public road is very badly corrugated and we had a very bone jarring trip to our campsite. On arriving at our campsite, we met a couple enjoying sundowners who were fairly surprised to see a Terios within the park!
    Having double checked the vehicle, it seemed that all was eventually 100% in working order - the holiday could begin in earnest! (much to my wife's delight - I can be a grumpy sod at times)
    We found the roads within Mabuasehube to be in a very good condition. Unfortunately, due to the recent fire and late rains, most of the game had left the park in search of greener pastures....
    After a nightly visit by 3 hyena scavenging through our campsite, we left with a heavy heart to go to Maun. The road from the park to Hukuntsi is long and very bumpy. Thankfully we took extra fuel along as the consumption went up to 14 l / 100 km due to the soft sand! We sustained our only damage to the vehicle here where the "middel mannetjie" caught our trailer plug and did some damage to the the rear bumper.

We passed through Hukuntsi as there was no petrol and refuelled at Kang.

The road to Maun is tar and in a very good condition. Please note that there are no fences along this stretch of the road and the number of carcasses at the side of the road was quite an eye opener!

After an enjoyable mokoro trip on the delta (Okavango Kopano Mokoro Community Trust) we headed for the eastern pan handle. The rain did not stop for almost 20 hours by the time we got to our campsite. As we drove through Moremi, Savuti and Chobe, we were stopped by all and sundry inquiring whether or not we were lost, knew our way out and if our vehicle was holding out. Interestingly enough, they were all Land Rover drivers.... Suppose it must have come as a shock to see a wannabe 4x4 Toyota go into areas previously reserved for the "best 4x4xfar"! hehehe!!!

Our little Terios performed remarkably well and we remain seriously impressed! We were advised prior to and throughout the trip that the rainy season could pose a serious obstacle to the little 4x4. The car took us everywhere we wanted to go except for a few spots where I thought my wife's nerves may result in a very rapid termination of our marriage vows.... The little 4x4 pulled us through all the obstacles en route without getting us stuck once. Apart from the minor "issues" with the "add-on's", no serious concerns were raised throughout the trip! Well done Daihatsu for producing a very capable little 4x4!

Default terios

hi Terrorris, could you please share where you bought your springs and shocks and possible prices as well. I'm also in the process in upgrading my Terios ....aka setpil or black velvet! Will be fitting GY Wrangler at/sa 215/70/R16 tyres shortly. I have already fitted a free flow system from noise boys...wow what a difference!

have done the west coast all along the coast except for part where there is deep sand...were travelling solo...just returned from a getaway to baviaan from patensie to willowmore with 7ft venter trailer with our mountain bikes in tow...no issues

cheers
    Paul

Hi Terios owners,
    Does anyone own the "Off road" version, and if so can you tell me if the spare supplied with the vehicle matched the other four tyres? I had a look at one at a Dealer on the weekend and the spare was a 215/65 16, the other tyres fitted were 235/60 16

Quote Originally Posted by The Sands View Post
    Hi Terios owners,
    Does anyone own the "Off road" version, and if so can you tell me if the spare supplied with the vehicle matched the other four tyres? I had a look at one at a Dealer on the weekend and the spare was a 215/65 16, the other tyres fitted were 235/60 16
    Hi The Sands,

That is correct: the spare standard from the dealership is 215/65r16 while the road wheels are 235/60r16 on the offroad edition.

If you ask the dealership they make a plan but this is not specificly explained in the sales pitch.

I replaced my spare with a 235/60r16 and was able to fit in the spare wheel cover/holder after removing some rubber stops.
    '10 Terios 4x4 Offroad

Talking about tyre sizes:

I have to drive veeeery nicely with no wind to get close to 12kms/l on my offroad edition ( < 3500 rpm or +- 105 km/h)....I would love to get 13 and 14 kms/l.

Might this be due to the tyre sizes? I.e 215 vs 235's ? The other owners report on the forum also claims about 10.5 kms/l on the offroad edition which is closer to my experience.

Or is it just my driving style :P
    Last edited by dieOrg; 2012/01/08 at 03:49 PM.
    '10 Terios 4x4 Offroad

Default terios

hi die Org, for interesting sake...after fitment of 215/70R16 tyres my speedo readings are as follow

100 on speedo 97 on GPS at 3200 (5th gear)
    110 ditto 108 ditto 3600 ditto
    120 ditto 118 ditto 4000 ditto

did get 12,7 km/lit in mixed driving on previous road based tyres (215/65R16)

Will advise consumption with new tyres but thus far it seems that there won't be too much diff in consumption.

cheers
    Paul

Net 1 vragie:
    Is 'n 215/65/16 nie maar dieselfde omtrek gewys as 'n 235/60/16 nie?
    omtrek van 215/65/16 is 2154.8 mm
    omtrek van 235/60/16 is 2162,7 mm
    Dit is 'n verskil van 0,4%, dit is geen verskil wat bande betref nie

So die 235 is so rapsie breer, maar jy kry geen addisionele hoogte nie, en jou spoed is ook dieselfde
    2000 3.2 4x4 Hardbody
    2009 2.5 4x4 hilux

Met die omtrek van die bande is jy helemal korrek.

Ek spekuleer dit dit dalk die verskil in rolweerstand is tussen die nouer en brer bande?

Dis net vir my 'n groot verskil in brandstofverbruik tussen die offroad en normale 4x4 Terios - 11/12 km/l vs 13/14 km/l.

Maar drywer rystyle en akkurate liter lesings (d.i. vul ek elke keer presies tot op dieselfde "vol" merk) mag ook dalk die verskil verklaar.
    '10 Terios 4x4 Offroad

Page 1 of 115 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 101 ... LastLast