Page 61 of 116 FirstFirst ... 11 36 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 86 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2314

Thread: Terios owners

f-djou;d
    Last edited by Goofaloop; 2014/01/08 at 09:40 AM.
    Alex
    2019 Mitsibushi Triton 2.4DiD

Ek kyk maar nog rond en speel met die idee ek sig ook om die terios te laat gaan so ek sal maar sien of ek 'n goeie deal kan kry.
    Die vraag wat ek myself vrae is dit die moeite werd om meer petrol deur die jaar te betaal vir een of twee keer se off road gebruik. Aan die ander kant my vrou ry net 30km 'n dag so die petrol rekening behoort nie veel hoer te wees nie en dit is 'n baie geriefliker voertuig. Sal maar sien.
    2011 Terios 4x4 Auto Sold
    2014 Toyota Auris 1.6 CVT XR Sold
    2011 Toyota FJ Trail Cruiser Sold
    2017 Toyota RAV4 AWD VX
    2017 Ford Ranger 4X4 S/C

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Ek kyk maar nog rond en speel met die idee ek sig ook om die terios te laat gaan so ek sal maar sien of ek 'n goeie deal kan kry.
    Die vraag wat ek myself vrae is dit die moeite werd om meer petrol deur die jaar te betaal vir een of twee keer se off road gebruik. Aan die ander kant my vrou ry net 30km 'n dag so die petrol rekening behoort nie veel hoer te wees nie en dit is 'n baie geriefliker voertuig. Sal maar sien.
    My siening is, ek glo ek sal dan meer 4x4 dae en trails kan bywoon as ek n meer capable voertuig het....
    Alex

Manne dis hkm het ek die Pajero en die Terios as ek rof 4x4 ry is dit die pajero as ons net rustig wil wees die Terios en swambo ry met hom werk toe elke dag meer potholes as pad.

En as ons op verlof gaan met al die kinders sal ons maar met altwee voertuie moet gaan. Anders moet ek n kombi koop en ek hou niks van n kombi.
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Bedinges View Post
    Manne dis hkm het ek die Pajero en die Terios as ek rof 4x4 ry is dit die pajero as ons net rustig wil wees die Terios en swambo ry met hom werk toe elke dag meer potholes as pad.

En as ons op verlof gaan met al die kinders sal ons maar met altwee voertuie moet gaan. Anders moet ek n kombi koop en ek hou niks van n kombi.
    Mens kry mos die caravelle 4x4...wats jou probleem!
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Goofaloop View Post
    Mens kry mos die caravelle 4x4...wats jou probleem!
    N Bos Taxi OMW lmga nee nie vir my maat die Suv's werk vir my.
    One life Live it

Hi There,

Recently joined the Terios world with a 2008 4x4 -- now free-flowed! It used to live in Mpumalanga and was always serviced at Toyota dealerships. I'm in the Rivonia area, Gauteng and wondering where the best place is to take it for a service (105 000 km). I can't service it myself since I'm stuck in a complex

Any tips?
    2008 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    - Complete Free-Flow,
    - Side Steps,
    - Otherwise Stock-Standard

Congrats and welcome!!

Try your local car service centre, you can google them, the one in edenvale is excellent...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alex

Just did Baviaanskloof main route Willowmore-Patensie in standard-issue 2012 Terios LWB 4x4. Lack of power & low range meant sometimes staying in 1st longer than I'd have liked up a hill, but otherwise went like a bomb.

I think the high clearance was probably more useful on this route than the 4-wheel drive, but the diff lock certainly helped on some of the dodgier bits.

Hi,
    I am new here. This is a re-posting of a thing I originally posted on an adventure motorcycling site Roam Africa - which also has a 4x4 section. http://www.roamafrica.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=350.0
    Really I would like to bring the artist Jahannes Schumacher to the attention of more people but my allegiance to the Terios makes me prefer to post it here rather than in the general sections.

'-------------------------------

This is a simple little trip in a Diahatsu Terios. It is more about pictures than anything else. I did go down a nice private pass down the escarpment at Graaf-Reinet and I went through Attakwas Kloof – not the 4x4 Pass but the Kloof which you can do in a Citi Gholf.

Background

I bought a used Diahatsu Terios in Jozi. Flew up from Cape Town to collect it. I drove down as close to the Caledon rive as far as the confluence with the Orange then I went down to the Graaff-Reinet area. Years ago I had followed the route of William Burchell across the Groot Karoo, up towards the Botswana border then down to Grahamstown & back to the Cape on my TW200. Burchell made excellent drawings and I made it a project to try and show what those scenes look like today. I added to that quest to also replicate the scenes that Johannes Schumacher and Samuel Daniell did. I did quite well with the Schumacher drawings except around Graaff-Reinet. That ride report is here http://www.saforums.co.za/rlt/index....27.0;topicseen
    Afterwards I became interested in two other travellers – Lichtenstein & Gordon as trips I could do on my TW. I found two books; P Cullinan, Robert Jacob Gordon, Struik, 1992 & VS Forbes Pioneer Travellers In South Africa AA Balkema 1992. I found Forbes has a chapter about Schumacher where he identifies really precisely where the pictures were made so now I knew exactly where to go around Graaf-Reinet to find the ones I missed on my TW. Forbes gives farm names and they are given on the 1:250 000 government maps and also on the Garmin Topo maps. I will now show the pictures in their numerical sequence though I found them in a different sequence.
    I wanted to see the confluence of the Caledon and Orange rivers because that ties in with my quest for Schumacher. The Orange river was ‘discovered’ by Robert Gordon and he painted a picture of it showing its confluence with the Caledon. (Gordon was Dutch despite his name and he named the river in honour of the Dutch royal family.) Gordon hired a painter to come on his trip to make pictures of what they saw. Johannes Schumacher was the artist. Schumacher had also been used by Hendrik Swellengrebel as his artist & it was the drawings that he made for Swellengrebel that I had been looking for.

It becomes confusing as Gordon was a good artist himself and his style is pretty well identical to Schumachers’ style to the point where it is not clear what Gordon did & what Schumacher did. Here is the Gordon picture of the confluence.

I wrote a little trip report about the Caledon river on another site. http://www.saforums.co.za/rlt/index.php?topic=10746.0

Across the Vlakte to Cookhouse

Having got to the confluence of the Caledon & Orange Rivers so I could compare it to Robert Gordon’s picture I wanted to follow his route down to Cookhouse.

Here is a map of Gordon’s Second Journey from Cullinan’s book Robert Jacob Gordon, Struik, 1992. I was interested in seeing the countryside they had travelled across. Note that he went up to Plettenberg’s Beacon which marked the corner of the Colony then he went back down to where Graaff-Reinet is then across to Cookhouse before again setting off northwards and finding the Orange in 1777. The question is why did he not push on from Plettenberg’s beacon? Firstly there was no beacon there then. He had local farmers with him on this trip and they were nervous of the San (Bushmen) stealing their livestock while they were away from their farms – they insisted on going back. The next year he returned with Governor Van Plettenberg who had the beacon erected to mark the corner of the Colony in the same area. The question is why did they not continue up to the Orange as it was just one days ride away. There are several reasons given. 1. Van Plettenberg had allocated just 10 days for this leg of the journey so they were short of time. 2. Again the local farmers accompanying them were nervous of the San – this time of the party being attacked (they were basically at was with each other) 3 Gordon was probably not keen on taking the Governor there because he (Gordon) was a very loyal supporter of the Dutch Royal Family. He had named the River the Orange in their honour and he was afraid that van Plettenberg would name it after himself (Gordon was Commander of the garrison so van Plettenberg was his superior). Gordon had told few people about his discovery of the river the year before.

It was lovely flat countryside – ideal for an ox wagon in 1777

Closer to Cradock. I selected minor roads – the more obscure the better as far as I am concerned.

I love countryside like this. I lived in Europe for 4 years and in Rhodesia for another 4 years. To us this is ordinary but when you have lived elsewhere you appreciate how special it is. Those are quite famous koppies called Koffiebus (L) & Teebus (R) just outside Steynsburg.

Hofmeyer. Really big. I like the pink colour but is it the DRC church? Never ever expected to see a pink DRC church.

I spent the night in Cradock.

Not much is known about the artist Johannes Schumacher (also written Schoemaker). He was a German private soldier who came to the Cape in 1770. He transferred to Gordon’s company in 1778. In 1776 he was employed as an artist by Hendrik Swellengrebel when he did an extensive trip. To fill the role of a modern camera, the 18th-centuary traveller without artistic ability sometimes employed an artist to accompany him. And it was indeed fortunate that Swellengrebel found at the Cape in the person of Schumacher a capable artist to illustrate some of the outstanding scenes of his journey. [1] Gordon did 6 extensive trips though we have records of only four of them. He used Schumacher as his artist on all of them which took Schumacher right across to the present Eastern Cape and up to the confluence of the Caledon and Orange rivers, to the mouth of the Orange river and almost as far upstream as Prieska and into the Groot Karoo as far as Sutherland, Beaufort West, Calvinia and Loriesfontein. Gordon was an accomplished artist himself for part of his military training was drawing for that is how one made intelligence records of fortifications etc. There is now much debate about who did which of the many drawings in the Gordon collection. Gordon’s widow stated that he drew the plant and animal drawings but had them detailed and finished by someone else under his supervision. There are a stack of them and they are exquisite drawings. They can be seen here http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/age/people/Gordon/ left hand side menu Gallery has 25 pages of drawing thumbnails.

A kukumakranka as an example of a plant drawing.

Flamingo for a bird

Chameleon for a reptile

Mullet for a fish

Giraffe for an animal. He was obsessed by giraffes – he sent the first skeleton of one to Europe (?).

San for people

But notice that she did not include the landscape views in that list. Clearly by looking at the drawings Schumacher made on the Swellengrebel journey to the ones in the Gordon collection the style is patently the same. The animals and people in Schumacher’s drawings are stiff and formal so my suspicion is that Gordon did the plants, animals and people drawings and some of the view outlines and Schumacher did the finishing of them all where the landscapes were mostly his work and style. I emphasise that is just my suspicion.

#20 Rhino Hunt on the Little Fish River

@ S32° 57.74’ E25° 48.789’ Middleton Station = Rhino Hunt on the Little Fish

The hills are clearly the same. Schumacher does his people & animals a bit stiffly but I really like his artistic style.

#21 & #22 Kafferlandsbergen

I have two sets of the Schumacher pictures. I took the black & white ones with and got a bit confused here. The B&W book has the pictures on good quality paper with printing on just one side so I did not realise that they fit together. (The picture numbers come from that book.) Pearce made the same mistake as he discusses the two pictures in separate paragraphs and gives different viewpoint positions. If this picture extended further to the left it would match the double colour picture. Doing trips like this means taking pictures as you find them. Scenic pictures should only be taken 2 hours after sunrise or 2 hours before sunset – outside those times you get boring pictures like this without any shadows to model the scene – here I have got flare because I am looking into the sun. Lousy picture but it does show I was in the right area.

At S32° 41.940’ E26° 13.740’ = Primstone railway siding. This is the right hand portion of the picture. Lovely example of how Schumacher gives a bit of an aerial view to the scene. There is no hill to climb so he simply imagines what it would look like if he could go up in a balloon a bit. He then exaggerates the form of the hills to accentuate their shape. Great artistic merit – his picture is much prettier than any photo of the same place would be even if you had a helicopter.

#23 & #24 Bruintjieshoogte

At 32° 42.758’ E 25° 28.019’ This is close to Somerset East. Here again Pearce and I had not realised that the two pictures fit together. They are both titled. The right one ‘The Boschberg at Bruintjeshoogte with the farm of Prins Snr.’ The left one laves out the farm.

The black & white of the left portion with my picture taken from about where Pearce suggests.

I spent the night in Graaff-Reinet in a nice self catering place. I learned how to find suitable places. In Cradock my nice place cost just R250 but here in G-R they were wanting R600. I use my Garmin Zumo to show me what self catering places are available. It lists them based on closeness to where you are so drive away from the tourist section of town to where you think suitable places will be & then ask Karin Garmin. I drove to what used to be the ‘Coloured’ area & got taken to an excellent place at R300 or so.
    Next day I went looking for the really nice pictures I missed on the Burchell trip. They are my favourite Schumacher pictures.

This is a detail from the map in Pearce showing Swellengrebel’s route in 1776 when Schumacher did the drawings for him. I went to the farms Request, Houdconstant, Kleinfontein & Tweefontein (farms still have the same names). I went down the Perskeboom Hoogte pass. Then on to Aberdeen where he painted another picture.

#26 View of the Sneeuwbergen

At S 32° 5.723’ E 24° 13.847’

Not quite correct because it was taken from hill behind me with the house, Hout Constant, in foreground. However the conical ‘Boesmanskop’ is obvious with the peak in front having its top made more flat to match those around it.

This is one of my favourite pictures. It is not at all photographic yet it shows the shape of the mountains and hills correctly. My picture has no artistic merit and Schumacher would have made a very dull & uninteresting picture if he had simply recorded the view accurately. Instead he has dramatized the view so we have a really great picture yet all the while he is showing what the countryside looks like. My recollection of the views is much closer to what Schumacher painted than to the photos I took.
    I would like to expand on that a little. Next is a picture by Francois Le Vallant title ‘Camp at Camdaboo, where two black brothers dwelt’. To us it looks stupid because the landscape behind the house has obviously been tilted up. This was a common device for an artist to better convey the information so he draws the house looking straight on at it and then he uses an entirely different perspective to show the position of the house within the landscape. We are now conditioned by photography and realistic painting for the picture to represent the scene as seen. The artist was wanting to show what the house looks like & also what its setting is so he combined the two pictures into one. The people are also not to scale – by making them larger the artist is able to model them much better. Schumacher was using a variation on this artistic licence to better convey what he saw before him than if he had been confined by the constraints of accurate perspective drawing. He was able to give us much more pleasing pictures as a consequence.

This is Hout Constant with a date of 1912 on the gable. Note this entrance is not centered on the gable . Antonia is away so I can’t get her information on this house. My recollection is that two almost identical houses were built by a farmer for his two daughters – this & Rietvlei. This house lost all its gables when it was ‘modernised’ when the thatch was replaced with corrugated iron. Since then the gables have been restored - it is a free standing gable (without little piece of roof behind it).

#27 Sneeuwbergen

I have had to manipulate this picture quite a bit to make it match the Schumacher picture. Perdeberg with the rifle sight peak is dead center – much clearer in Schumacher. I was just passing through & taking pictures with the light as it was; with time much better pictures could be taken shortly after sunrise or before sunset.

#28 Camdeboo

At Brooklyn farm (Brookdale on map 3224) @ S32° 20.608’ E 24° 22.112’

#29 Sneeuwberg

I am miles back from where Schumacher was. This picture was taken from the koppie on Kleinfontein. Schumacher went east from here, crossed the Drooge river onto what is now Request farm & made his picture from the promontory on the other side of the Drooge valley. You can see the match of the mountains in the distance to Schumacher’s picture but the promontory hides the rest of the picture which includes Gowerments Kop which is the prominate truncated cone at Graaf Reinet.

#30 Camdeboo

The same scene as I found it.

Without cropping the picture to show the top of Perskeboom Hooghte. This is where I parked the Terios to climb the koppie. I drove down it to get to Tweefontein whereas Swellengrebel came up it about 250 years before me.

Kleinfontein. I don’t know the date but it is clearly a relatively new building although the present owner’s mother said it was already there when she lived there.
    #31 Sneeuwbergen

More or less the same as the Schumacher picture.

Stitched picture with flare from photoing into the sun without a lens hood. S32° 8.884’ E 24° 12.974’ That is the Farm Tweefontein but the mountains are a poor match. The Perskeboom Hoogte pass goes up the blue escarpment in the background on the right of the picture. Both farms are owned byBrem Minaar and it is his private road.
    #32 From Karooside

A huge herd of migrating Springbok with the Swellengrebel party slaughtering them.

S 32° 30.305’ E 23° 53.250’ On the road at Karooside Farm.
    Last edited by tok-tokkie; 2014/01/12 at 12:36 PM.

Church in Aberdeen. Has the tallest steeple in South Africa – 51,5m. It leans over by half a meter.

#33 Buffalo Hunt at Beerenfley

This picture is just to show the dry Beervlei dam with a trickle of water with the farmstead in the background. When Schumacher was here it was a lovely scene.
    S 33° 4.039’ E 23° 29.736’

The dry Beervlei dam outside Middleburg. Structurally that is a very elegant design – similar to a Fresnel lens. Fresnel lens is basically a normal convex lens that has been flattened by pushing it back in rings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens). Here the usual big bow arch of a dam has been pushed back into a straight line – saves a lot of concrete & steel & increases the volume of water stored. Fresnel lenses are used in lighthouses to focus ythe beam and as stick on things for the back window of Combis so the driver gats a wide angle view out the back window when reversing.

Spent the night at Uniondale – bit overpriced I thought. Next day I needed to get to Attakwaskloof because Schumacher painted a picture of it. I discovered the Kammanassie road in Nov 2007 on my first decent DS bike ride to the Wild Dogs bash where I met Trailrider. I have seen reference to the bit further west so I wanted to do that now & then go to the lovely Attakwaskloof that TR introduced me to. After that I wanted to do Gysmanshoek but I messed up my petrol plan.

This farm is south of Oudshoorn at the elbow in the R328

I was rather surprised to find a stationary steam engine here. I have had a long standing fascination with steam power as I am a Mechanical Engineer & I regard them as the real start of my profession. Some years ago we did a 10 day trip visiting selected stationary steam engine sites in the UK. I took some effort writing up that trip on ADVRider & it must have been referenced somewhere as that report gets about 30 hits each day some 2 years later – it has had over 27 000 hits. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756771

This is another steam engine I came across on this trip in the Free State. I just want to add something about it. Looking at it you would think it was a steam powered tractor but it was not a tractor for ploughing fields etc. It is in fact a movable stationary engine. The wheels are not powered by steam cylinders & they are too narrow and smooth to be any use as a tractor.

There is a trailer towing frame attached to the front axle & this would have been pulled from farm to farm by oxen. On the farm it would be used to drive a dors machine or strooper(?). Modern tractors have a power take off pulley for driving threshing machines etc. via flat belts – just as these old steam driven engines did then. The front wheels are smaller just like in a wagon – so the wheels can go under the body when turning sharp corners. Like on a wagon the back wheels are bigger because they roll easier & that is where the weight is concentrated.

#9 Attakwaskloof

That is Bonnidale farm & campsite. S 33° 52.423’ E 21° 52.512’

Here is a portion of Van der Graaf’s map of 1785-94 showing Swellengrebel’s route in red. You will see that I had followed his route along the Kammanassie river & then he went along what is now the 4x4 route Attakwas Pass up to where I took the picture at Bonidale farm. From there they cut down to Mosel Bay whereas I went through the Attakwas Kloof road. What I find interesting is Schumacher’s picture is of Attakwas Kloof and it shows a road with wagons on it travelling down the valley towards Herbetsdale or VanWyksdorp

This is a picture showing more of that map – it continues for another page. Mosel Bay is just to the right of the spine.. Camdeboo is at the top right.

Here is a close up of the Camdeboo area showing Swellengrebel’s (and also Schumacher) route in that area.

A Personal Perspective on Schumacher’s Art

In closing I would like to say a little more about Schumacher’s art. He is hardly known at all – Google gives you precious little

A really famous Renaissance picture. On a holiday in Italy I realised I don’t care for realistic Renaissance art at all – even this picture. Good for a chocolate box but I don’t want it on my wall.

Another famous picture. Tretchikoff Green Lady. Not my style at all. Sold for £1 million (~=R15 million) in March 2013.

A Renaissance landscape painting. Claude Lorraine

Nicolas Poussin
    Ref http://www.artble.com/artists/claude...chanted_castle

Here is an Impressionist portrait. Van Gogh. I really admire his work and realise it is the Impressionists that I like. My point is Schumacher was a forerunner to the Impressionists

Paul Cezanne

One by Van Gogh

Johannes Schumacher.

Sticking with landscapes:

Tienus de Jong. His pictures have style.

But his son Gabriel just did photographic pictures with the colour somewhat enhanced. Chocolate box De Lux in my opinion

But Pierneef had dramatic style of his own. You can see some similarities to Schumacher in this.

Pierneef is better known for pictures like this. Dramatic graphical design.

Neither Schumacher nor Impressionistic. But fabulous.

Afterwards I thought about my comment on the umbrella thorn picture by Pierneef. What he has done is simplify the tree and exaggerate what he finds significant about it. He emphasizes what impresses him in that tree. That is what Schumacher does in his pictures too. They are both doing the same thing and it is somewhat Impressionistic. .
    Last edited by tok-tokkie; 2019/09/03 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Restore lost Pierneef

I quite like that painting of the dogs playing cards.

Great Terios thread

This one

OOM Tok tokkie en oom het daai hele roete met n terios gedoen awesome.
    One life Live it

Default free flow exhaust system for Terios

Hi to all the Terios owners! I am also a newcomer to the family and is getting a brand new 4x4 A/T Terrier next week.

I want to have a free flow system installed (after reading thsi thread) but need your advice. Daihatsu says that if there is any complaints that can be linked to the system installed it will not be covered by their warranty, e.g. floor gets hot, poor fuel consumption etc. I am a total technofobe..... can somebody please explain what should all be removed and what get newly installed when one change to a free flow system.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Page 61 of 116 FirstFirst ... 11 36 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 86 111 ... LastLast