Terios owners - Page 2

Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 27 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Terios owners

hi Paul
    i got my springs from Daihatsu. ask for the off road package springs - they cost R 450 each. the shocks are Pro Comp ES 9000's @ R 1300 each. the combo worked like charm on the corrugated roads of the Northern Cape through to Mabua really chuffed with them! i went to my local fitment center and inquired re the shocks and they were ordered. no mess, no fuss!
    please could you provide details re the exhaust system? i feel the little bugger is too short on power and def need to crank up the horses!!! hehehe
    as for tyres: i was getting 11.77 km / l with the standard road tyres, however after putting on the BFG's 215/70/16's the consumption is at 10.31 km/l - which is a little too thirsty for my liking! i need to make a plan re the free flow exhaust, as i believe it potentially drops consumption by about 10% (?).
    is there any truth in the rumour that fuel consumption goes down after a couple of 1000km's?

Robin
    2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D ID D/C P/U
    Kitted out and ready for an African safari....

Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they did not stop to enjoy it....

i read an article re the KN air filter:

Owners of a 2006 to 2010 Daihatsu Terios with 1.5L engine, a 2007 to 2010 Daihatsu Sirion with 1.5L engine or a 2007 to 2010 Daihatsu Materia with 1.5L or 1.3L engine can now drop in additional performance with K&N's 33-2967 replacement air filter. K&N has engineered and designed the 33-2967 to provide more horsepower and better performance while still providing the high levels of efficiency and filtration for engine protection.

The 33-2967 air filter was designed as a drop-in replacement air filter. Installation of the 33-2967 is as simple as replacing the stock restrictive paper filter with K&N's high-flow air filter.

K&N's washable and reusable air filter design means you will never need to buy another air filter for your Daihatsu Terios, Sirion, or Materia. K&N backs the 33-2967 with a Million Mile Limited Warranty. This performance air filter can go up to 50,000 miles/85,000 km before servicing is necessary, depending on driving conditions.
    Our automotive OE (original equipment) replacement air filters generally add 1-4 horsepower.

thoughts?

Robin

Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they did not stop to enjoy it....

Robin

Default Terios

hi Terorris...thanks for the feedback. I have already ordered the coil springs from daihatsu....shocks will be around R1270 a piece. Do you perhaps have the model number for the pro comp shocks?

Looking at my fuel gauge I'm not going to be worst off after fitting the new tyres. In actual fact the ride is smoother and seriously more grip compared to the road tyres.
    I will update you once I refuel which will be around Friday. My average speed is around 100-110km/h...which can explain my reasonable consumption of around 12,7km/l. My car now has 92500km on the clock.

The free flow system (Cowley) was fitted by Noise Boys in Centurion at cost of R2K....for sure more power and more torque. This is quite evident in open road driving...much faster acceleration and overtaking as well as in town driving...previously I had to downshift to 2nd gear in corners..now I can do it in 3rd gear.

The K & N filter is on the shopping list..around R800 I think and after that possibly a chip as well. I just feel that if one get can get more power to the wheels quicker one can do so much more with the terios, especially in the Dunes and in muddy situations

Would you care to share more details re your recent trip...where you stayed...general road conditions etc. I'm particularly interested in the moremi/savuti /chobe part, as I'm plannng a caprivi/botswana trip in July.

cheers
    Paul

hi Paul
    the Pro Comps model number is 921500.
    i am very happy with the tyres - it really makes the car look like a serious off roader (and no longer a mom's taxi), however the extra fuel consumption is a bit steep
    The off road handling is awesome though - seriously no complaints!

The route: i am still elaborating the short version of the route into a more detailed version. i will mail you once i have completed the "longer detailed" version...

i am intrigued to know what the extra performance would be if the filter, chip and exhaust are added. as i understand it, the exhaust should give an extra 10 kw and the chip should give an extra 10 kw. if my functional grade math is correct, that is an extra 20 kw?!? (or does it not work like that - knowing my luck!!!)

As for the roads - all i can say is that some of the roads were not on the T4A map, nor were many of them on the T4A SD card. i have been trying to get them recorded on google earth.

i chatted with some guys who go up to Kwai regularly and they say that the dry season is crazy season - there are hoards of tourists all over the place. definitely not a place to be if you are looking for peace and quiet will keep you posted though.....

Robin

Default Terios

hi Robin, thanks for the info on the shocks. I also have BF AT's fitted to my Cruiser....excellent tyres...just got a bit pricey!
    It would seems that the tyre upgrade has made little diff to my overall fuel consumpt...still averageing 12,7 km/lit on mixed driving. Will see what diff will suspension upgrade do to consumption in near future.

I also got a quote from van der Linde conversions for R8500 ex vat for free flow exhaust, air cleaner mod, unichip and dyno tune. They are a reputable company and this might be worthwhile exploring. Whether 20kw is achievable is a open question...but I must admit the R2K I spent on the free flow is worth every cent..

You are quite right regarding July...this is peak season...will have to plan it carefully though!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Botha View Post

The free flow system (Cowley) was fitted by Noise Boys in Centurion at cost of R2K....for sure more power and more torque. This is quite evident in open road driving...much faster acceleration and overtaking as well as in town driving...previously I had to downshift to 2nd gear in corners..now I can do it in 3rd gear.

cheers
    Paul
    Hi Paul,

Was that system complete with branch or just the section after the exhaust manifold??

Our Terrier has done 58000km's now with no hassles but only running the K&N filter. Would like a bit more go

Regards

Nick
    Nick Nortje

When in doubt, flat out!!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Default Terios

Hi Nick, I had it done only from where the pipe goes above the gearbox cradle...what difference did the K&N filter give you and where did you buy at what price?

regards
    Paul
    2007 Terios 4X4...starting to take shape!

Thanks Paul,

I got my k&n from www.ebay.com paid about R480 for it 5 months ago and got the cleaning kit from Thunder Sport for R160.

The Terios does rev a bit better, if anything it has helped the midrange RPM the most. Is your one still under warrenty with the agents?
    Nick Nortje

When in doubt, flat out!!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Default Terios

Thanks for the info Nick, that's quite a good price for the filter. As you're aware not much happening with the 1.5 engine below 4000rpm, so this will be a wothwhile expense for me as well.

My Terios is already out of warrentee...not much cncerned with this either.

cheers
    Paul

Filter replacement should not affect your warranty at all

I have ordered the 4 coil springs from our local Daihatsu dealer for R450 each. They quoted me R2440.00 for fitment!!! sounds a little steep to me?

Question terios

eish that's a steep price ...surely the labour can't be that much...suggest you get more quotes!

will be getting the pro comp shocks soon and then it's fitment time!

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hilux View Post
    I have ordered the 4 coil springs from our local Daihatsu dealer for R450 each. They quoted me R2440.00 for fitment!!! sounds a little steep to me?
    Hi Red Hilux,

Does that not perhaps include the price of the units also? Generally around R150 per corner for installation, which sounds about right.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum, and am looking at buying a cheap, reliable 4x4 vehicle that is light on fuel. i dont need a hardcore 4x4, just something small that can take me up sani pass and similar terrain. i have taken a liking to the daihatsu terios old shape(1998-2005). That will fit my budget well and from what i have read it will be all i need. the only worry i have is the availablity of parts!!! please help me on this. if you own one of the older teriosis please let me know how difficult maintenance is on the vehicle.

Goofer, look at the 98-02 Subaru Forester. They are almost in destructible and parts are easy to come by.
    Commander XK CRD GDE HOT tjoon - Strong like bull.
    OME, big tires, blah blah

Default Free flow exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Botha View Post
    hi Terrorris, could you please share where you bought your springs and shocks and possible prices as well. I'm also in the process in upgrading my Terios ....aka setpil or black velvet! Will be fitting GY Wrangler at/sa 215/70/R16 tyres shortly. I have already fitted a free flow system from noise boys...wow what a difference!

have done the west coast all along the coast except for part where there is deep sand...were travelling solo...just returned from a getaway to baviaan from patensie to willowmore with 7ft venter trailer with our mountain bikes in tow...no issues

cheers
    Paul
    Hi Paul,
    I am the proud owner of a 2012 Terios 4X4 Auto, and was thinking about fitting a free flow exhaust for that extra umph.....can you kindly inform me more about your experience with the free flow fitted, and would you recommend that for an Automatic also.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Goofer View Post
    Hi Guys

I am new to the forum, and am looking at buying a cheap, reliable 4x4 vehicle that is light on fuel. i dont need a hardcore 4x4, just something small that can take me up sani pass and similar terrain. i have taken a liking to the daihatsu terios old shape(1998-2005). That will fit my budget well and from what i have read it will be all i need. the only worry i have is the availablity of parts!!! please help me on this. if you own one of the older teriosis please let me know how difficult maintenance is on the vehicle.
    Hi Goofer

I'v had a 2004 Terios for 3 years now. First service was about R800 and the second service was about R1300 (the air filter was R380 after discount!!!).

Parts are readily available but boy they are expensive. Some of the parts are only available at the stealers. To replace the 2 fan belts - R1100, air filter - R380 (normal price R450). The driver side electrical window switch broke. To replace the unit - R1800. The passenger side electrical window unit - R680. Had new electrical switches for both doors installed in Centurion for R1300. They work and look much nicer than the original units.

On the positive side there I've had no mechanical problems with the vehicle. She gets me where I want to go and the ground clearance is very good.

With the roof rack I get about 13.5 km/lt and without the roof rack about about 14.0 - 14.5 km/lt (but then again, I drive like my granny).

Just ask if you would like to know more.

Pieter

hi Terioster, yes the fitment of the freeflow exhaust plus replacement k&n filter made a difference in performance and fuel consumption basically stayed the same...around 12,6km/l on average in mixed driving. Wind is the biggest enemy in this regard. Obviously there will be a bit more noise from the exhaust but I have learned to live with it. Hope it helps. Can't see why it wouldn't work for auto.

Quote Originally Posted by platvark View Post
    Hi Goofer

I'v had a 2004 Terios for 3 years now. First service was about R800 and the second service was about R1300 (the air filter was R380 after discount!!!).

Parts are readily available but boy they are expensive. Some of the parts are only available at the stealers. To replace the 2 fan belts - R1100, air filter - R380 (normal price R450). The driver side electrical window switch broke. To replace the unit - R1800. The passenger side electrical window unit - R680. Had new electrical switches for both doors installed in Centurion for R1300. They work and look much nicer than the original units.

On the positive side there I've had no mechanical problems with the vehicle. She gets me where I want to go and the ground clearance is very good.

With the roof rack I get about 13.5 km/lt and without the roof rack about about 14.0 - 14.5 km/lt (but then again, I drive like my granny).

Just ask if you would like to know more.

Pieter
    Hi Pieter,

Can you please supply us with the name of this place? Do they supply window switches for other cars as well?

Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 27 52 102 ... LastLast