Rock Throwing Register - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1. 23rd to 27th November 2011

2. 26th November (Saturday)

3. 07:15am

4. Broken Bridge leaving Maseru on our way to Roma

5. Maseru

6. Roma

7. If any damage was sustained and if so, the nature of the damage and the estimated or actual costs of repair

8. Large rock thrown, impact L/R of new Nissan Nivara DC 4x4 - several attempts but this one landed

9. In Lesotho for Roof Of Africa, 5 days, 4 guys at a Cost of R4800 each incl fuel so total cost R19200.

10. No

11. Third incident on many trips, cannot remember

12.Race control has many reports of rock throwing incidents, there was severe damage caused to 2 vehicles when large rocks were rolled into road but fortunately no medical injuries. General consensus is to avoid going back but I for one will.

Thanks Traction
    Still Tabbing at nearly 50

P38 without STUPID AIR SUSPENSION
    Dodge
    Jeep Platkar
    2x Dirty Bikes

Do not give sweets or beware the day YOU run out!

I see we have not had any posts regarding rock throwing for more than a year now. I have been watching this thread with anticipation for some time. As we are off for 8 days soon to explore the highlands of Lesotho (first Lesotho trip) we are obviously very interested in the occurance of rock throwing in Lesotho.
    Is the occurance of rock throwing reducing or are we just all so use to it that we do not report it on this forum / thread any more?
    Estee do you have any research results as yet?
    Is there anything we could do to try and reduce our risk (I see someone suggest you should wave at the children - which we will happily do)?
    We will obviously go out of our way to respect the locals, drive slowly when people are around and when we pass villages and will not throw sweets, money (or rocks) at anybody.

Four trips, 3 during school holidays, no incidents. Vehicle has Zim plates if relevant

Thanks
    I am going to Lesotho from coming Friday for eight days travelling to rural areas and will hope for the best while I behave in the best way possible (like a Zimbabwean)!

Just completed a trip through Lesotho (early Desember 2012) without ANY rock throwing or other threatening insidents: We followed the following route: Caledonspoort, Butha-Buthe, Qalo, Khukhune, Muela, Afriski, Mapholaneng, Mokhotlong, Sani Top, Sani Border, Ramatselisos gate, Sehlabathebe, Matebeng, Sehonghong, Mohlanapeng, Thaba-Tseka, Katse, Mphorosane, Katse, Thaba-Tseka, Mantsonyane, Marakabel, Likalaneng, Roma, Thabana-Li-Mele, Semonkong, Maseru, Maseru bridge. We drove solo with a SUV with GP number plates and ZA sticker. We took extra care not to offend anybody in that we drove very slow especially when passing locals, stopped when animals or pedestrians are in the road and allowed them to past before we proceed. We tried to be very friendly to everybody and waved as far as we drove. We did not hand out any sweets to children. We took time to have conversations with locals and found them surprisingly open, non threatening, supportive and an absolute pleasure to engage with.
    We had the opportunity to engage with a regional chief and he indicated that they are working very hard as a nation to stop all incidents that might chase tourists away and that they believe that the rock throwing incidents have been reduced significantly.

Ons (ek en my seun) het so 2 weke gelede teruggekeer van 'n weeklange fotografie toer deur die Suid Ooste van Lesotho. Het van Seshlabethebe, Matebengpas, Taung oor gery na Sani.

Ons het baie gestop om foto's te neem en gemeng met die inwoners. Almal was vriendelik en hulpvaardig ten spyte van die kommunikasie probleme. In die meeste gevalle het ons skryfbehoeftes en sweets uitgedeel nadat ons die foto's geneem het.

Daar was geen voorvalle van klipgooiery nie.

My mening is dat die kommunikasie probleem tot groot misverstande kan lei. Die kinders ken net een woord wat hulle weet almal verstaan nl. "sweets". Maar daarmee vra hulle nie noodwendig sweets nie maar eintlik enigiets bruikbaars. Boeke en penne was so gewild dat daar eenkeer 'n vuisgeveg tussen die kinders uitgebreek het.

Ek sal moeilik oortuig word om nie hierdie arm kinders iets in die hand te stop as ek deur hul village stap en foto's neem, of ry nie. Is daar enige navorsing wat bewys dat dit tot bedelary en klipgooiery aanleiding gee...of is die klipgooiery nie in die meeste gevalle blote stoutigheid van vervelige kinders nie, wat oënskynlik nou gestop het nadat die regering en hoofmanne dit blykbaar aangespreek het nie.

Ek is egter oop vir feitelike oortuiging.
    2006 Isuzu KB 300 LX 4x4 met ekstras vir die bos.

Canon 5D mark 11 & Canon 7D.
    Kort tot lang Canon L lense vir elke natuur geleentheid.

http://www.facebook.com/HanZZwiegers.../photos_albums

We were in lesotho the september 24 long weekend. Went in at sani, through to mookhotlong, left at the t junction on the tar road, and a few k's on turned left onto a nice dirt road with a sign "katse canoeing, quad bikes etc." this road took a serious turn for the worse after about 2 hours. This nice road stopped on a hil, with a split into 2 tracks. Our gps was useless so i decided to go left as we wanted to head west towards katse. The hoing was slow as we only managed 30km in 3 hours, with one hour only 5 k's. We pushed on from village to village being bombarded with kids yelling for "sweeeeeeets" eventually it seemed like the road ended in a village which would have been really bad news as it was already 16:00 and we couldn't go back the same way. So we were driving around in the village with kids running around and in front of the vehicles yelling sweeeets sweeeets trying to find our way. I noticed the kids getting less in our immediate proximity and i asked an older man where to go. He very politely guided us in the right direction down the mountain to the road. At the bottom, about 800m from the village we were greeted by a roadblock with stones in the road, and about 20 kids. I knew this was bad so i ran over the first 2 stone staples, when i stopped to select 1st gear at the river's embankment, i was confronted by a 14 year old girl with a half brick size stone, threatening to stone us if we dont give them sweets. By this time we were surrounded by this mob of kids all carrying stones. I told them that i didnt have any sweets, but she spotted some simba chips on the back seat. She said give me simba or i will beat you with the stone. This whole ordeal was captured on video by the vehicle behind me. I had to stop, give them 2 packets of chips and raced off after it was ripped from my hands. After i left the vehicle behind me was also harrassed but got away without harm by saying all the food was in my vehicle. This experience left a bitter taste in my mouth regarding the people of Lesotho. Before this incident we enjoyed waving to the locals and being patient and polite with them when they approached you while you are stopped for photos. Afterwards we would stop, take pictures and if someone started approaching us, got in the car and left. Although the experience of Lesotho was in general great, i'm not sure if i would visit again. If i want to be threatened and stoned, its much cheaper to visit my local township. My2cw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Hey guys.

Im new to the forum so only seeing this now. Myself and fellow students from the UFS have this annual tradition if visiting
    lesotho every July.

Two years ago a small boy threw a stone at my bakkie. One of my friends in the car was Sotho. We reversed to where the kid was frozen with fear. My friend then gave him a good scolding in Sesotho whereafter the kid started crying. Once the tears dried he profusely apologised to us.

Default Balisana throwing stones

New to the forum and I'll admit it has been a number of years since I lived in Lesotho (1977-1981) and a while since I last visited (1994).

In all my time there, riding a motorcycle or horse depending on the location, over roads and tracks for my job of working with school teachers there was only one time when some herd boys (balisana) threw a rock at me. The thrower was a small boy and I think he was as surprised as I was when the rock bounced off my front fender. I took off after him on the bike and as he ran through an impassible, to me, donga he tossed aside his blanket. I stopped, grabbed the blanket, and yelled that I was going to take it to the police station.

A few days later his village headman showed up at my door with the terrified kid in tow. Profuse tearful apologies were followed by promises to never do it again. The headman had the kid shovel out our small stable to pay for the damage.

So bottom line, yeah kids do stupid stuff. I've always found that a friendly demeanor, followed up with a no nonsense "Would your parents approve of what you are doing?" "Why are you treating visitors like this?" type of statement gets most kids in line. A genuine questioning of their behavior works much better than getting angry and cursing at them. Knowing a few words in the local language is an immense help too. I don't mean to be critical of white South Africans, but I am amazed how many don't know the basics of the African languages in their country.

We're going back to visit Lesotho this October. I am no longer a fixture in the village (everybody knows a 6'5" white guy who rides a horse and motorcycle), so maybe I'll be in for a surprise, but I doubt it.

01/01/2016 and 02/01/2016
    Travelling from St. James to Thaba Seka in 3 car convoy we had 2 stone throwing incidents with no damage.
    Travelling from Katse to Leribe we had another stone throw with no damage.
    My opinion is that all were out of expectation that the kids thought they could get sweets, and when they didn't they threw stones.
    Please refrain from giving kids sweets. If you plan to stop for long periods make sure it is an isolated spot otherwise kids/teenagers appear with expectations.
    All in all it was a great trip.

Default Re: Rock Throwing Register

We just did (27th Dec 2016) Caledonspoort -> Buthe Buthe -> Hlotse -> Katse Lodge Absaloutly no issues of stone throwing.

We then did back roads Katse - Sani pass, And lots of "Sweets please Sweets" one incident of a child no older than 7 attempted to throw a stone when we passed by and they realized we were not giving out freebies.

Was a great trip felt safe all the way.

Any recent incidents of rock throwing?
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Did Sanipass - mokhotlong - butha buthe - maseru 4 weeks ago and no rock-throwing that we've observed. your usual asking for sweets next to the road and villages.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ecw For This Useful Post:

Little kid threw my car with a rock today at Lotheni going toward Underberg today.

Strong Kid!
    Ross

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RMackay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    Strong Kid!
    Watched him pick it up and throw it +-9YO

Thanks ChristiaanV

This would have been on the Lower Lotheni road in SA?

Did it hit your vehicle?
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Thanks ChristiaanV

This would have been on the Lower Lotheni road in SA?

Did it hit your vehicle?
    Yes Estee it was. Yup, on the rear fender small dent and paint chipped.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast