Info on Vwasa and Kazungu

Default Info on Vwasa and Kazungu

Does anyone have recent information on the camping situation at both Vwasa Marsh and Kazungu. Seems to me that Vwasa had some challenges that are not sorted yet. The Kazungu web site looks more promising?

Has anyone been there recently?

Johan

We have heard there is not too much game in Vwasa. We highly recommend Liwonde National Park for the best game viewing experience in Malawi.
    Nick

Vwaza Marsh is a great birding spot. Pretty little park, with a reasonable population of elephant and plenty of hippo in the marshlands. I'm not sure what has happened to the camp site, as the previous concession holder (tented camp) pulled out. You can probably just bush camp at the parks site - it is very basic with bucket showers, but a lovely aspect over the wetlands. The elephants can be a bit skittish, so be careful. We did an elephant collaring there a couple of years back and it was the only place in five or six parks that we were threatened by the ellies.

We also collared in Kasungu. Very thick bush, hard to see the game, if we didn't have a chopper hovering overhead to show us where the elephants were, we wouldn't have seen them 10 metres off the road. The hotel/camp site on the reservoir is very pretty, but there really isn't a lot of game.

If you're going to Vwaza, then (for me anyway) the most spectacular of all Malawi's parks is the Nyika - stunning scenery, challenging roads, lots of game, trout fishing, hiking, brilliant botanising, great birds in the island forests etc.

Tony

Thanks Tony and Mzwala

I will be in both Liwonde and Nyika and have 3 nights in hand, thought Vwasa may be appealing. Will check it out when I am up there before I turn southwards

Kind regards

Johan