Suspension Navara suspension question

Default Navara suspension question

I have a navara 2.5 dc 4x4. I do not use it often for proper 4x4, but am often on gravel roads and 4x4 tracks for work.
    Having come from a no-frills hilux with cast iron suspension, the navara has a very boat like suspension feel when off-road and it bounces all over the place on the highway when you hit a some potholes at pace!

Now without going to too much expense or trouble (and to keep the waranty) could i just replace the shocks to try to stiffen up the ride of the navara. If so what would be a good replacement.

I had safari's on my hilux and they seemed to have a good ride on and off road.

anyone?

Hi

I had more or less the same issues on my HB when I had Monroe Gas Magnums fitted front and back. Lots of body roll and nose dive. I have fitted Camils and the problems were sorted. Also gained body height especially the cross over angle/hight. Have a look at www.camilsuspensions.co.za and give Piet Weideman a call. I think the Camils for your vehicle will cost you about R7k.

Also speak to Nissan about the warranty and if fitting Camils will null and void the warrantee - I saw in another thread on the site that Nissan is pretty much full of nonsense in this regard so rather be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps?

Regards,
    George Brittnell
    "Pray Until Success Happens"

Not sure about the mileage on your vehicle, but sounds like the rear shocks are worn (or something else is wrong - one can say many things about a Navara, but poor roadholding is definately not one of them.)

Mine had the same symptoms, and it was worn rear shocks (the standard rear units are tiny, and I can only imagine that frequent gravel / track use will acellarate the wear.)

My personal choice would be to fit Camils, but you will need to do front and rear (as they will lift the vehicle.) Piet Wydwman says that fitting the Camils will not void your guarantee - may be best to confirm this. Total cost will be approx. R 9000.00

As an alternative, you can replace only the shocks, and there are various brands available to choose from. I tried Koni, but was not imressed - replaced the rear with Camils eventually. (If you think you have a boat now, don't fit Koni to the Navara. I fiddled around with the damping rate (adjustable) to try and get it better, but when they are stiff enough not to have too much body roll, they have a "lagging" effect on rear suspension's reaction to the road.)

I see that OME, Ironman and TJM are marketing new generations of shock absorbers, which they say are very good. Cost for replacing all 4 shocks will be in the region of R7000.00. Should price be a mayor factor, I suggest you raplace the rear shocks only for a start (I found that with worn rear shocks it was a bit like the tail wagging the dog.) If you where happy with Safari's, give them a try. Good reports are also given for Gabrial Kubu's on the forum. If you battle to find the Navara shocks, the standard length for the rear units (extended) is 530mm. Should you raise the suspension, the length required is 580mm. The Camils I fitted are 610mm long, and provide a bit of extra articulation, but you will need to move the brake hoses and ABS cables down a bit to compensate.

thanks, the bakkie only has 15k km but from new i have not been particularly impressed with the suspension from day 1, although it does hold when swerving, it just seems to hop around a bit when you hit a rough patch of road at pace

Have heard good things about the camils and the price is not much more than the OME shocks.

how much of a lift do the camils give?

Quote Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
    thanks, the bakkie only has 15k km but from new i have not been particularly impressed with the suspension from day 1, although it does hold when swerving, it just seems to hop around a bit when you hit a rough patch of road at pace

Have heard good things about the camils and the price is not much more than the OME shocks.

how much of a lift do the camils give?
    To wht pressure is your wheels inflated to?

15K is not much, and if it was suspect from day one it cannot be wear. Mayby a faulty shock? Have you had the alignment checked?

The Camils (and all of the other suspension kits) will raise approx. 30mm front and 40mm rear.

The question about tyre pressure does make sense as well.

tyre pressures are as per the sticker in the door.
    Maybe i am making it sound worse than it is, I noticed the same a few years ago when driving a friends hardbody. Just feels a bit light when going over rutts or even corrugations on dirt road.

I think it stems from the fact that it is more of a luxury vehicle so they have tried to make the suspension plush. having come from an old hilux i am maybe used to the solid feel. in the hilux i could corner on a pass and there was almost no body roll, with the navara the bakkie seems to roll quite a bit when cornering

Gabriel Safari or Old Man Emu will solve your problem. Guaranteed.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Using OME of TJM or others does NOT lose your warranty.

AANavaras Guest

Ask Nissan if you lose your warranty...they don't want to know anything about conversions!They only want there own parts!We had our Navara lifted and the ABS magnetic sensor persished over time and later on did not want to work. The ABS sign kept on pinging and the ABS did not want to work.They blamed it on the high lift kit...that it snap the cable or something!In the end it was there own magnet.

But we argued that NO new parts were used that compromised there own parts so they fixed it FREE!

Try these guys there are pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by AANavaras View Post
    Ask Nissan if you lose your warranty...they don't want to know anything about conversions!
    I have, one DP and one workshop manager both respected with Nissan SA and both from different dealerships.