Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default Triton's smelly back side!

    Good morning gentleman. I need some assistance please.

    During the last month or so, I became aware of a little "aroma" emerging from the Triton's rear end.

    I became aware of this in my garage as I always reverse into it, as well as in friends driveways etc. and my friends have also started to notice it.

    I'm doing the two stroke thing religeously with every tank, but no more than 250mm a shot on the 75 liter tank, and I drive it untill the fuel light comes on.

    Could it be the two stroke? Does diesels vehicles also have catalytic converters which could be faulty producing the smell?

    Any ideas please. The smell is difficult to describe. It smells sour, and I think oily as well but nothing similar to normal two stroke engine emmissions.

    Could my baby have an upset tummy?
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    6,327
    Thanked: 2601

    Default

    Roller,

    You didn't drive over a decomposed seal on the beach, did you?
    Are you sure it is smelling worse than other smelly diesel cars?

    Stop the 2-stroke thing for a tank or two and if that doesn't make a difference, change the diesel brand you use.

    Is it just the combusted diesel that smells or is it smelly when you stick your nose in the diesel filler opening?

    If you are convinced that your nose isn't too close to your own tail and that your imagination isn't giving you the run-around, then why don't you have some diesel from your tank analysed. Uys (on the Toyota side of this forum) is in the process of having diesel tested. Drop him a line for advice. I suppose it isn't inconceivable that there could be organic muck thriving in your tank.

    Good luck
    Roelf

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Roller,

    You didn't drive over a decomposed seal on the beach, did you?
    Are you sure it is smelling worse than other smelly diesel cars?

    Stop the 2-stroke thing for a tank or two and if that doesn't make a difference, change the diesel brand you use.

    Is it just the combusted diesel that smells or is it smelly when you stick your nose in the diesel filler opening?

    If you are convinced that your nose isn't too close to your own tail and that your imagination isn't giving you the run-around, then why don't you have some diesel from your tank analysed. Uys (on the Toyota side of this forum) is in the process of having diesel tested. Drop him a line for advice. I suppose it isn't inconceivable that there could be organic muck thriving in your tank.

    Good luck
    Roelf
    Hahaha I'm sure about the dead seal, and my own back side

    As far as I know, its just the combusted diesel that gives of the smell and yes, I have a friend that also uses 2 stroke and his is fine.

    I have strong stuff that I got a while ago to kill algae and other organic stuff when I got the black plague in the Colt's 2 tanks which I can use, but I first want to make sure that its not the 2 stroke.

    Nobody else experienced this so far?
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    6,327
    Thanked: 2601

    Default

    Well, I suggest you drop the 2-stroke oil for a while. It isn't as if your car will be damaged in any way - most diesel owners never put 2-stroke oil in their cars. But stick to the rest of your diesel "routine", that way you will be certain if the 2-stroke oil did have an effect on the smell.

    The Toyota D4D guys are also starting to fit an extra in-line, very fine, diesel filter. It looks like a very cool idea for direct injection engines and could also possibly help if contaminated diesel is causing the smell.

    I assume that you are concerned that whatever is causing the smell, could also maybe be harmfull to your engine.

    How did you figure out that your previous diesel had algae in the tanks? Do you have any idea on how common that problem is?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    53
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Catalytic converters definately have a sulphar smell similar to the one that comes from "below"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I assume that you are concerned that whatever is causing the smell, could also maybe be harmfull to your engine.

    How did you figure out that your previous diesel had algae in the tanks? Do you have any idea on how common that problem is?
    Yes, I' concerned about it being something harmfull.

    In so far as the algae is concerned - I noticed this the day my steed came to a halt in the Limpopo, and couldn't travel further than 100 metres at a time before stalling again and again and again from fuel starvation.

    Pumped out both tanks (which I kept filled to the brim - very big mistake) and found my diesel to be pitch black and my fuel lines and filter clogged.

    Lost 170 liters that day! Took off both tanks to clean them. Out came black jelley type stuff which has a lot of different names for it. I call it the black plague.

    Since then I did a lot of reading about contaminated diesel, water in diesel, and organig lifeforms in diesel.

    Long and short of it is that diesel have a certain sell by date. Roughly 3-4 months after it leaves the refinery. By the time diesel ends up in your garage's underground tanks, that time is almost up.

    Because of newer and better technology enablling us to harvest more than 90% of diesel from a barrel of crude oil (as opposed to less than 40% about 20 years ago - this new technology unfortunately has the effect of providing diesel that is inherently instable.

    It literally begins to break down, and that is why you can't store diesel very long.

    Then ad water to the mixture which is always there, and bacteria also begins to grow and under the right conditions, can multiply exponentially at an alarming rate!

    Then you should also take into consideration that certain garage owners mix stuff into their tanks to make the diesel more, or by simple negligence allow that their tanks get contaminated - the problems are endless and its a diesel minefield out there!

    I do the following as my own precautionary measures:

    1. Almost finish your tank before you fill up again.
    2. Don't fill your tank immediately prior to the garage getting its diesel, nor when their tanks are amlost empty.
    3. Never store diesel in your tank to long.
    4. Fill up on cold days and when your engine is still cold (diesel from your return fuel line is very hot and condensation of water will form in your tank)
    5. I fitted a magnetic filter to get rid of the bacteria that forms in any diesel tank and will be installing a UDF filter within the next week.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robass View Post
    Catalytic converters definately have a sulphar smell similar to the one that comes from "below"

    I have smelled this on cars which have them when driving behind them, but do diesels also have CC's?
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,519
    Thanked: 94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeo Rollercoaster View Post
    Yes, I' concerned about it being something harmfull.

    In so far as the algae is concerned - I noticed this the day my steed came to a halt in the Limpopo, and couldn't travel further than 100 metres at a time before stalling again and again and again from fuel starvation.

    Pumped out both tanks (which I kept filled to the brim - very big mistake) and found my diesel to be pitch black and my fuel lines and filter clogged.

    Lost 170 liters that day! Took off both tanks to clean them. Out came black jelley type stuff which has a lot of different names for it. I call it the black plague.

    Since then I did a lot of reading about contaminated diesel, water in diesel, and organig lifeforms in diesel.

    Long and short of it is that diesel have a certain sell by date. Roughly 3-4 months after it leaves the refinery. By the time diesel ends up in your garage's underground tanks, that time is almost up.

    Because of newer and better technology enablling us to harvest more than 90% of diesel from a barrel of crude oil (as opposed to less than 40% about 20 years ago - this new technology unfortunately has the effect of providing diesel that is inherently instable.

    It literally begins to break down, and that is why you can't store diesel very long.

    Then ad water to the mixture which is always there, and bacteria also begins to grow and under the right conditions, can multiply exponentially at an alarming rate!

    Then you should also take into consideration that certain garage owners mix stuff into their tanks to make the diesel more, or by simple negligence allow that their tanks get contaminated - the problems are endless and its a diesel minefield out there!

    I do the following as my own precautionary measures:

    1. Almost finish your tank before you fill up again.
    2. Don't fill your tank immediately prior to the garage getting its diesel, nor when their tanks are amlost empty.
    3. Never store diesel in your tank to long.
    4. Fill up on cold days and when your engine is still cold (diesel from your return fuel line is very hot and condensation of water will form in your tank)
    5. I fitted a magnetic filter to get rid of the bacteria that forms in any diesel tank and will be installing a UDF filter within the next week.
    Best Piece I read all day!! Thanks for the info.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    6,327
    Thanked: 2601

    Default

    Swys,
    Ditto...
    Thanks Roller!

    My 3.8V6 has a smelly ring-piece, but only when the tank is below quarter. I assume it is just the vapour from the tank that I smell.

    Roelf

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Aston Manor
    Age
    59
    Posts
    614
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    My Pajero is o/k, no smelly rear end at any stage (that I've noticed).

    My current as well as my previous 2 Audi's always have/had a similar "sulphury" smelling rear end when started - this clears away in about 30 seconds of running.

    I believe it is the most important time for the Particulate filter (Catalyst) to do it's job - incomplete combustion at very low combustion temps - hence the smelly "ring".

    It will clean up once the particulate filter reaches operating temp.
    2011 VW Amarok BiTdi 4-Motion8)
    2006 Daihatsu Sirion
    6 x Water Buffalo's
    Honda Lawnmower

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swys14 View Post
    Best Piece I read all day!! Thanks for the info.
    Anytime!
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swys14 View Post
    Best Piece I read all day!! Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Swys,
    Ditto...
    Thanks Roller!

    My 3.8V6 has a smelly ring-piece, but only when the tank is below quarter. I assume it is just the vapour from the tank that I smell.

    Roelf
    No problem!
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Botswana View Post
    My Pajero is o/k, no smelly rear end at any stage (that I've noticed).

    My current as well as my previous 2 Audi's always have/had a similar "sulphury" smelling rear end when started - this clears away in about 30 seconds of running.

    I believe it is the most important time for the Particulate filter (Catalyst) to do it's job - incomplete combustion at very low combustion temps - hence the smelly "ring".

    It will clean up once the particulate filter reaches operating temp.
    Now this is an explanation worth looking into. Thanx Botswana. So diesels also have this particulate filter?

    I'll do a few tests with the engine cold and at normal operating temperature.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MIdrand
    Age
    64
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Hi
    We have a gen3 pajero 3.2 did with 165k on the clock.It also has a simaler smell to what you are describing.We were told to do injectors,which we did...still the same,then told to do injector pump...havent done it yet.We were then told by some that it is the CC. We are hoping to pin this down and that it doesn't lead to something serious.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAX View Post
    Hi
    We have a gen3 pajero 3.2 did with 165k on the clock.It also has a simaler smell to what you are describing.We were told to do injectors,which we did...still the same,then told to do injector pump...havent done it yet.We were then told by some that it is the CC. We are hoping to pin this down and that it doesn't lead to something serious.

    Please keep us posted on your findings, as will I.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    The smell stays the same irrespective of whether the enigine is hot or cold. My tank is half now. Will do the next one without 2-stroke.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eerste River
    Age
    42
    Posts
    59
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    I have had my D4D Fortuner 2 weeks now and I have only smelled the funny sulphur odour after I filled up with 50ppm diesel on Friday. I used 500ppm diesel on Sunday and haven't smelled anything funny yet. I hope this helps.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco79 View Post
    I have had my D4D Fortuner 2 weeks now and I have only smelled the funny sulphur odour after I filled up with 50ppm diesel on Friday. I used 500ppm diesel on Sunday and haven't smelled anything funny yet. I hope this helps.
    This is strange indeed. I would have thought that it should be the other way around. Less sulpher in the diesel, less sulphary smell

    Please let me know if this continues to be so.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,871
    Thanked: 181

    Default

    I get that smell when i put 2 stroke oil in.

    What 2 stroke oil are you using ?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,855
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I get that smell when i put 2 stroke oil in.

    What 2 stroke oil are you using ?
    I'm on my 2nd tank without 2 stroke and filling up with 500ppm. Not sure if 50ppm is available in Musina.

    Before that, I used whatever the garage has.

    But the smell is still there but it seems a bit less though. Maybe it will be better if I use 50ppm?
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Guys strike back and end up on the couch
    By robv in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2013/05/07, 04:04 PM
  2. Max weight of Jimny back door
    By geraas in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2009/09/29, 06:03 PM
  3. Auto box kick back
    By NO FEAR in forum Jeep
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2009/09/16, 08:09 AM
  4. An interesting TJ Jeep Article.
    By Big Hilux in forum Jeep
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2009/05/19, 10:31 PM
  5. Report back - 33" Disco 1
    By Christob in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2006/11/18, 03:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •