Kgalagadi age restrictions in camps???

RogerT Guest

Default Kgalagadi age restrictions in camps???

I am trying to get a bookings in the Kgalagadi but see that the "wilderness camps" that make up more than half of the camps are restricted to people with kids over the age of 12 years.

All the camps along the 4x4 routes are also wilderness camps and the use of those routes are restricted to residents of those camps thus we are excluded form most of the camps and all 4x4 routes

Is that just the way it is

Thanks

Speak to Bullet, he just been that way

Unfortuanately that's the way it is. There are two wildernis camps that require 4x4 (ground clearance) Garagab and Bitterpan. Each have 4 chalets with only two beds per chalet.
    The 4x4 routes are twee spoor and most of the time not really 4x4, but you need ground clearance. There are however sections where you do need 4x4. If you see the conditions you will understand why they try and limit traffic on these routes.
    Why don't you try the Botswana side or send the kids to the grandparents?

RogerT Guest

Casper,

Thanks for the info but I work about a 4 month rotation out of country with a 28 day leave cycle .....I hardly know the little girl as is, cant go off again with out her!

I am surprised at parks board banning kids under 12.....I thought thats what the private lodges are for, looks like I wont be seeing the majority of the parks for at least 10 years!!!!

Thanks

I was at Bitterpan and Gharagab last week and we also talked about this. The camps are not fenced and the predators walk through the camps - not while we were there - and this can be a problem as they might see young children as prey? I've heard stories of hyenas going for smaller children while they were at the campfire surrounded by adults.
    There were also a lot of snakes at both camps and a child walking around could easily get bitten.
    Maybe it is just because they want to preserve the peace and quite? There are only four two-bed chalets, so there aren't many people and it gives it a very nice quite and remote atmosphere

RogerT Guest

Sias,

......excuse my bitterness for being excluded from being able to enjoy a national asset.....because I have children!!!

The predator argument can be made for 1000's of camp sites in Southern Africa.....the kids are banned from the self catering sites but not the camp sites(ja we can camp!), that dont make sense at all surely...its partly because of the predator threat that we dont feel comfortable camping with a 2 year old right now so they ban us from the structured accomodation.....do they ban people with out kids from the other sites so we can get a booking in a camp we are allowed in??

My Mrs. is gonna have to find some thing else to photgraph with her new telephoto lens.

I dont wanna argue with any one may be Iam just very disapointed right now?

I agree, but the bush camps don't have campsites, only the three main camps. Why would they allow children on the Mabuasehube and Polentswa trails but not in the bushcamps?

RogerT Guest

Yup I realise the bush camps dont have camp sites maybe I put that across incorrectly, was refering to all the other camp sites in the park ie on the Polentswa and Mabuasehube trails ect as you mentioned.

Oh well I geuss it is what it is.....why Iam so bitter is cause the bush camps have slots availble but the "kiddie friendy" camps are all booked and of course I want to drive the "4x4" routes.

such is life thanks for the info and understanding hahaha sniff sniff sniff

Those "4X4" routes are very overrated in any case! I even let SWAMBO drive some of them! A 4X2 with high ground clearance and deflated tyres will make it no problem.

Default There must be a way...

RogerT

I am sure rules can be bent; contact Dupel Erasmus, tourism manager in KTP ([email protected]) with a request to take the pikanini along. I am sure they will make a plan.

Regards
    Francois
    Francois Johnson

(swambo: Christel)

Our rides
    • 2010 Isuzu KB300LX DTeq 4x4 D/C
    • Metalian Maxi Trailer, Maxine

RogerT Guest

Will do Vlakvarkie.....thanks

ps. never thought any vlakvarkie would ever help me seeing that I have tuned so many of your kind into heaps of cabonossi and smoked racks of ribs !!!!! :-)