Jimny Sound Upgrade - Stage 1

Default Jimny Sound Upgrade - Stage 1

I finaly couldn't take the crappy tin sounding radio of the Jimny anymore!! So i decided to do some investigation and see what there is do.... I don't want window rattling bass or a massive sound system, just a decent sounding system with a bit off bass.

I couldn't find a lot of info in the net about jimny sound upgrades, so maybe some of you might find this helpfull.

I striped front and back to see exactly what size speakers i can fit, and if i could maybe modify some panels to fit decent size speaker. I don't want to lose any practicality of the car, and dont want subs and amps in the way of the already little space i have.

Without doing major mods to panels and building custom enclosures, there is not a lot you can do to the jimny. I also don't want to spend R20 000 on a sound install.

I decided to make do with the space there is in the car. I might at a later stage upgrade the radio to improve sound quality and play mp3's and so on. but for now the std radio will have to stay.

The only allocated space for speakers are 2 in the kickpanels in front, and 2 in the rear at the rear passengers knees. front & rear are for 4" (100mm) speakers. these are fairly small, so to get decent sound out of them i decided to buy some good quality speakers. i ended up buying Infinity 2 way speakers, 35W RMS, 105w Max. They will give me good clarity, but not much bass, because they are so small.

I have a BIG amp that i used in my previous car, so i figured i could use that with these 4" speakers, and see if i can mount a small sub somewhere. i found a very nice 8" shallow mount sub. it is only 63mm deep, and you need a fairly small box for it. I took some measurements and decided the amp will mount under the drivers seat, and the sub ander the passenger seat.

I will do this upgrade in stages, as the speakers and shallow mount sub is a bit expensive, and i first wanted to hear how the front speakers sound bofore i go buy the whole lot.

The other problem i found with the front speaker holes, is that it does not seal properly. there is a wiring loom going past the speaker, using the same hole as the speaker. the speaker whole is basically round, with a extra cut-out for the loom. so i cut 3mm spacers from pvc, to cover the speaker hole (pic 7), and in that i cut a proper speaker hole to match the speakers. I siliconed it in place, so now the speakers can mount properly.

Here's some pics of what i did. the amp is mounted under the drivers seat, so moves with it, so it will never be in the way. the sub will be mounted the same way. So i don't lose any practicality or space. Note, these pics where taken when i was still busy, so the cables around the amp still needs to be tidied up a bit...

i connected the amp to the radio with 2 Hi-Lo converters, because the radio dont have any line outs. I've hidden them next to the radio in the dash (pic 5). So far it sounds a lot better than the std speakers. Next i will add the sub, and then maybe if i'm still not happy add speakers to the rear.

Note the differance between the old and new speakers!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08884.jpg 
Views:	1799 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	57103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08887.jpg 
Views:	1564 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	57104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08888.jpg 
Views:	1329 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	57105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08889.jpg 
Views:	2110 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	57106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08890.jpg 
Views:	1551 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	57107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08894.jpg 
Views:	3157 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	57108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08897.jpg 
Views:	1349 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	57109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08904.jpg 
Views:	1758 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	57110  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08906.jpg 
Views:	1504 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	57111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08914.jpg 
Views:	1656 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	57112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08917.jpg 
Views:	1478 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	57113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08919.jpg 
Views:	1288 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	57114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08922.jpg 
Views:	1270 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	57115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08926.jpg 
Views:	3719 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	57116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08928.jpg 
Views:	1594 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	57117  
    Last edited by BlueRocket; 2010/04/18 at 08:14 AM.

Suzuki Jimny
    Extended diff & Trasfercase Breathers
    Old Man Emu
    Front Runner Roofrack
    BFG 215/75/15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Custom Rock Sliders
    20% Smash & Grab
    Sound Upgrade

Default Amp install

Hey Bluerocket
    nice one on the upgrade bud, 1 thing tho, I have worked in a sound shop scince the age of 17 and the only thing that i could recomend is that you mount your amp the right way up. Having it upside down like it is will work, no doubt, but the heat from within is rising into the pc board and not into the heatsink casing. Altho you are not running a huge system that would normally heat an amp up to some high temps, it is still better to try get the heat away from the circuit board.
    Please dont take this advise as being judgemental it is intended purely as a guide line for all those of you thet want to mount amps. they will last longer fitted the right way up
    i love the way you have saved on space and been very select and practical about the system.
    you will definatly get better sound out of your system when you upgrade the head unit and get rid of the hi-lo convertor, they generally suck out about 30-50% of the sound quality.
    well done on a very neat install and i really hope you have many happy days in your lil zuki, they rule )

shot

MUD

NO HILUX ?

NO CHANCE!
    HAVE A NICE DAY!

Thanks! I might rotate the amp when i do the rest of the system. So far the amp does not seem to even get lukewarm... (its actually ice cold after playing for a few hours) The amp is a massive overkill for the speakers i am running! Also the components inside the amp that causes all the heat it screwed directly to the heatsink, so the heat transfer is directly to the heatsink. I hear what you are saying though. But for my purpose though i'm not to concerned.

I have also pulled in new speaker wire. They are also maybe a bit overkill, but my thinking was that i will move the seat from time to time, and i want proper cables that will not bend and break after a few "seat moves" the std speaker cable is also very thin!

I defenitely want to get a proper head unit, but no one can tell me if a standard double din radio will fit without cutting or modifying the dash. It looks like it will, but i am not sure if will look neat, as the dash is curved a little.
    Last edited by BlueRocket; 2010/04/18 at 10:22 PM.

Suzuki Jimny
    Old Man Emu
    Front Runner Roofrack
    BFG 215/75/15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Custom Rock Sliders
    20% Smash & Grab
    Sound Upgrade

Cool suzuki jimny sound system

What are the approved head units that can be installed within the Jimny. I require a unit that has an Ipod adaptor, USB, MP3 and great sound.

Also not sure if you can make the door holes bigger where the speakers are mounted to. I have an understanding that they are currently 4" speakers. I belive a 5 and 1/4" is better? and 6x9 in the rear can this be easily done?

The problem with replacing the standard head unit, is making it look neat.
    The standard radio is a Clarion. There are options available from Clarion to add the functionality that you require, but it is pricy and you would have to import it yourself.

Trying to fit 5 1/4" speakers in the standard locations might be quite a challenge,and you're going to have difficulty finding a spot for 6x9's.
    Last edited by saxj; 2010/05/02 at 12:50 AM.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

I see the 4032's are made to go with the stock headunit too, as they are relatively efficient and 2Ohms, not sure if that 2Ohms is a good thing on an oem stock headunit? the blurb says it is... Did you try them on the stock headunit? I noticed when listening to Jimny demo, that at least there seems to be no EQ built into the headunit so one should be able to get a fairly decent signal out of them, even speaker level. What price did you pay for the 4032's? See on the web for R650 on

Stage 2
    So this weekend I installed stage 2 of my sound upgrade, i also finished my rocksliders during last week. It's in for powdercoating, and i will hopefully get it back on wednesday, but that's another story....

I bought another set of 4" speakers for the rear, but when i wanted to fit them they were to small for the holes!! So went inside and googled a bit. A 5" speaker should fit, BUT there isn't a lot of 5" speakers available. most manufactures only makes 5 1/4" (a lot of people talk of 5" speakers, but when you look at the specs it is actually 5 1/4")

I tried out 5 1/4", but there is no way i could make them fit, not without some serious mods and cutting out the existing holes, and there is no space to cut anyway. The hole is 108mm diameter and the screw holes have a pcd of 120mm.

Soundmatch can get me a set of 5" Focal speakers at R2700!!! whaaaa haha!!! no thanks! Polk Audio also have a nice 5" for about the same price as the 4" i bought, i just need to find a local supplier. So for now the rear speakers will have to wait.

So i started with the sub box. i first made a cardboard box to make sure it will fit underneith the seat, and that the seat can still move without any interferance. i worked out the volume of my box, and it is just within spec. its the biggest i can make it, so even if it was out of spec, i cant really do anything about it.

I bought a 8" pioneer shallow mount sub. its only 62.5mm deep, so the box can be nice and flat. i don't need window rattling bass, just a nice "full sound" and a 8" is more than enough!

I build the box from 16mm MDF, covered it with carpet, i also added a "connection box" to easily connect the wires to the box. I made some brackets to mount the box under the seat, and bolted them to the underside of the seat with small rubbers for isolation to help reduce vibration. i know that is probably useless, but made me feel better...

It makes a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! difference!! the 4" speakers i have is very good, but not really designed to produce deep bass. now i can turn down the bass on the small speakers, so that they can play within their limits, and the sub fills in the bass. The 4" speakers dont work nearly as hard, and produce much better sound quality.

The sub is worth every cent! i don't even think i need rear speakers anymore...

Brokediff: i payed R650 for the 4" speakers. yes i tried them without the amp. they sound better than the orriginal speakers does, but allot better once i played them through the amp. they also sound better now after about 2 weeks of playing... but the sub made the big difference, it give you that full range the small speakers can't.

Only one problem so far.... when i turn up the volume a bit the sound wave from the sub vibrates the seat spunge a bit... my girlfriend doesn't like that so much... so i am still thinking of a plan to fix that. but its only when i really turn up the volume, so its not to bad i guess.

Here's some pics

Name:	DSC08948.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	58123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08949.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	58124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08954.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	58125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08955.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	58126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08956.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	58127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08957.jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	58128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08960.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	58129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08961.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	58130  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08962.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	58131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08963.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	58132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08964.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	58133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08966.jpg 
Views:	725 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	58134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08971.jpg 
Views:	722 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	58135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08944.jpg 
Views:	706 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	58136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08945.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	58137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08952.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	58138  

Last edited by BlueRocket; 2010/05/03 at 09:03 PM.

Suzuki Jimny
    Old Man Emu
    Front Runner Roofrack
    BFG 215/75/15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Custom Rock Sliders
    20% Smash & Grab
    Sound Upgrade

I have asked them the options available to me. basically they want to have seperate parot bluetooth and ipod connectors for R3500 and then a garmin for R4100 and the sound will never be great. so i decided to take out the clarion deck and its a standard double din deck and install this Kenwood deck: http://www.soundslimited.co.za/index..._image&pID=946 its rather funcky and has all the requirments and i can add a sub, amp and proper speakers in.

I will take photos week after next when i take ownership of the vehicle. lets hope it turns out well. i have also seen other options that can work.

any body heard anything about a super charger for the jimny?[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MELISS%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

I would like to see what the headunit looks like when fitted. please post some pics!

Here's a link to a supercharger thread i posted a while ago.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...t=supercharger

Suzuki Jimny
    Old Man Emu
    Front Runner Roofrack
    BFG 215/75/15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Custom Rock Sliders
    20% Smash & Grab
    Sound Upgrade

Default links

Thanks for that, well if your GF is on the back seat and you join her, I'm sure you'll keep the vibrations under control... Am glad it actually fits under the rear seat, little use to me as that will usually be removed and seats down .

I'm thinking - for the footwell - a flange to lift a 5" out a little with either a small tweeter close to it, or some of those 2" "full" rangers on the dash projecting at the windscreen... maybe get 800Hz out of them...

A link that might help for 5" drivers, personally wouldn't bother... it only does a little rear fill... and how often do you sit in the back... listening to music...
    http://za.rs-online.com/web/search/s...in.#breadCrumb

BTW these are often visaton drivers so should be quite decent, although decent for a purpose prices are per driver and it seems they have one or two real 5" drivers in there.

Hi,

I didnt read anything, just looked at the pics. Bad idea mounting the amp upside down. The "fins" on the top of the amp are there to release heat from the amp. Putting it upside down, where does the heat go? Straight onto the main board.

You can still mount it under the seat, just make an alum bracket. Leave 25mm between the amp and the seat. Will work fine.

I am an IASCA Judge and 4th in my Class in the world (Ult 2 division). I know a little about auto sound...

Just my 2c,
    Roger!

(Team TARGA, SPL Advisor for the FS & NC)
    2014 Mazda BT-50 S/C 3.2L SLE (2x4)
    2009 Audi A6 2.0TFSI MultiTronic

Default Moral of the story

Read it anyway, no matter if you know a little about SPL.

Low power requirements... overkill amp... will do it when needed... heat also gets radiated from the fins - it is not only convection... if you put a fan on at your feet, it'll do more to take heat away than turning it right side up, the moving air can get to the fins then, not in the pocket between seat and amp.
    Last edited by brokediff; 2010/05/04 at 11:26 AM.

thanks so much for the super charger info. I will get the pics posted when i get the car next weekend.

It was at the leather shop today in roodepoort... pity that they are not open to my suggestions on how i want the interior to look.I am debating two tone Dark grey and black with silver stitching or plain dark grey all round. what u suggest? and then lets hope they get it right.

I installed 'n set of 4'' 200w Earth quake speakers in the rear and had no troudle. It's just alot of work removing the rear seat.

Do they actually fill the holes? Or is there a gap between the speaker OD and the hole in the body?

Suzuki Jimny
    Old Man Emu
    Front Runner Roofrack
    BFG 215/75/15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Custom Rock Sliders
    20% Smash & Grab
    Sound Upgrade

There is a gap, but the screw holes match. It sounds good, a amp will make it sound better though. The wires for both rear speakers is hidden behind the left rear pannel.

Default Speaker holes

Hi there,

i am busy with my install. the rear speakers can hold 5 and a 1/4 inch speakers. i have use the "sound muffling" putty so that the sound doesnt rattle in the rear doors.

I used new cabling as the cabling that they have used is infearer and i am also running an amp.

hope to get the pics up soonest.

I would like to see that, because there was no way the speakers i tried could fit. the basket at he back was even to big.

please post some pics.

Suzuki Jimny
    Old Man Emu
    Front Runner Roofrack
    BFG 215/75/15
    30mm Wheel Spacers
    Custom Rock Sliders
    20% Smash & Grab
    Sound Upgrade

BlueRocket - very nice post - thanks.
    Some questions, and I also have some suggestions.
    Questions - how about some dimensions of the box, and would it not work with the sub on the bottom to avoid complaint from your front passenger (:-) )
    And my ideas / suggestions:
    I think it is better to fit the sub box and amp to the floor - no moving wires when sliding the seats (if you hit really deep water with the Jimny, a couple of centimeters wont make much difference

And with respect to stage 2 - I think we must seriously work on a faceplate and bracket to support a single DIN radio, and to create additional storage space below the radio (subglasses etc). I am planning to get a neat metal plate cut with a laser or water jet, and to fit a single din radio with sub out (eliminates amp under the other seat).

What is the exact details of the Pioneer subwoofer you used - price - where did you buy?
    Take a look at this adaptor for Mazda 626 - this is what I have in mind....
    http://www.rivoniacarsound.co.za/com...art/Itemid,87/

I bought the Jensen 8" sub with built in amp for R995 - less than what I can buy a shallow sub and separate amp for - and it is very neat.

Name:	screenh1591.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	59507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenh1609.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	60000  
    Last edited by ArthurB; 2010/05/25 at 07:49 AM. Reason: add info
    '15 Honda CR-V Comfort Auto
    '10 Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Auto

Undo the screws in the ashtray, and pull the console cover gently from the bottom, unplug the cigarette lighter before you pull too far. Once the cover is off, its pretty obvious how the radio comes out.

When replacing, put the yellow clips back onto the console cover, otherwise they fall inside the dash.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts