Are 4x4 people becoming ignorant? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Correct, well said Paul.
    D2 V8. Pro Comp MX6 Shocks with Mikem Custom Progressive Coils. Wildcat Headers. 265/75/16 Hankook RT03's. FLI Audio. Kaiser Locker.

ag i guess if you have a passion for it like people here do deflating is part of the fun, part of the whole process that makes you feel like you are doing something different to normal driving. For other people I guess its a chore - cutting into the time where they are supposed to be relaxing and having fun

As for the machismo it doesnt help that 4x4ing is the epitome of maleness, big loud machines are what we love, we always have we always will, so its bound to attract showoffs and I guess something each of us must personally try and keep under control as best we can and everyone will get along

mine is better than yours by the way
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Sitting in traffic each day most of us are exposed to the arrogance, ignorance and selfishness of people.

Now what do you expect will happen when you give them a vehicle that is capable of driving in a sensitive area?

Assume that you have a one-on-one visit with your Creator quarterly. Now live accordingly.

you know some days I wish I could see what the deleted posts were... I think they could be funny!!! (in hindsight, knowing they've been deleted)

Often laugh at the mod's comment on reason for deleting...

i.e. - on this thread...

1) lets not go there...
    2) lets NOT go there....

One word, lazy.
    The guy is too lazy to deflate because it takes time and it takes more time to reinflate.
    But give him the benefit of the doubt. Just maybe he was worried about the rim turning inside a deflated tyre and causing a blowout.
    My experience, LAZYNESS.

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Man, you guys that know bugger all, make us guys that know everything, the moer in.
    Ja it is that 80 that gave you away there Henri

Beach launching and dam launching not the same??
    LC 105 GX 4500 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Silver Hole View Post
    Beach launching and dam launching not the same??
    No no. Never ever.

I have seen Vaalies launch a boat at Sodwana once. The wave picked up the boat, moved it 1m to the side and put it down on one of the skids. Nice hole was the result. They went straight home.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Just to be different I will disagree slightly with some of the comments here.

I think 4x4 drivers, the guys that love it and make lifestyle of it, can become a little officious about the whole thing. i would have shown him, I would have deflated, he is an ignoramus, blah,blah,blah...i shot him with my 0.22 cause he recovered on the tow ball. Can everyone here fix serious engine trouble/reassemble the box/ pop new rings in quick sticks while equiped with a toolbox and no forum? Unlikely - doen't make you a bad off-roader.

While off-road competency training is useful and should there for people who are interested to improve their skills but not to police off-roading. We can make lots of clever suggestions and "if it were me i would have made everyone do...". Implementing those ideas on mass scale is different story. You will run and hide once the bureaucratic cogs start churning. For now, license requirements are so and so and that is it. For complex graded trails etc, definitely a competence is required.

As for people that drive/generally behave like ##$%$^, oh well, give them ten certificates, they will still do it. In a 4x4, a sedan or just walking for that matter.

Lets be a little less holy and officious and a little more real.

hey Sergey!!

sensible as always!!!

I always offer to help a guy thats battling.. if he doesn't want the advice, tough.

but it really bugs me when guys drive like muppets though.... you want to get stuck in the low water mark - fine.... driving like a loony through people sitting on a beach is really poor behaviour... as you say - nothing you can do about it though, even if you keep the video camera at the ready and report him, little will happen. as you say - passing a course does not fix idiocy.

there's always an idiot. I try and stay away from them....

Too True Paul, but if they were, would they even know they being spoken about?

Apoc,

Hear loud n clear. I just suggested that we love off-roading and maybe get carried away at a normal guy. I am by the way not entitled to be "off-roader", i just drive off-road. I don't own a freezer, long lift jack etc I just irresponsibly go where ever i like and make do just fine))) I try not get stuck though unlike most 4wders I would love to catch up with you guys and do more "lets get stuck and try get out stuff")

As for people driving like....well, as i said, its the guy not the environment or the tools. Banning him from 4x4 is unconstitutional

hehe - everyone starts somewhere... I don't do as much as a lot of guys, but I love it!! spent a lot of my life building rally and race cars... dirt and tar I know, offroad is new... and I've pulled out more people than I've been pulled out!!!

everyone needs to learn the tricks... some people do - some people think they know it all... first time out in my Wrangler at AD I was stuck in the first 5 minutes... 1.2 bar is not low enough. you learn... sometimes it involves a spade...

Me and spade got intimately involved plenty 95% of my off-roading has been Namibian sand.

P.S.

I hear AD is even softer.
    Last edited by Sergey; 2010/04/16 at 11:29 AM.

yup. well, hard to quantify as 2 different vehicles but 1.2 bar was fine in the clubcab up in the Namib - between Walvis and Swakop at least, and down to Sandwich bay...

in the Wrangler at AD.. 1.2 bar was on the axles first time I braked. let them down to 0.8 and it was fine.. then to get up a dune face (standing start in the CRD!!) I had to let them down to 0.6... which is VERY flat.

at 0.6 the other day I then managed to debead in a water obstacle at the Maniac course at Century City...

bead lockers is the answer I guess....

Unhappy

[QUOTE=OwenD;470806]which is why a 4x4 licence requiring training is a nice idea

Absolutely agree - thing is some people will still think they know better than the trainer.

Default Beach Launching ,Deflated tyres etc.

I'm so glad I drive a Syncro,so I do not worry if someone sees me deflating my tyres.I HAVE to do it.My 17 year old 4x4 wannabee make & keep me humble.

I can not fit BIG macho tyres .Maybe some of these guys are scared if they deflate their tyres they deflate their ego's ?
    Last edited by AndreSyncro; 2010/04/19 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by AndreSyncro View Post
    .............Maybe some of these guys are scared if they deflate their tyres they deflate their ego's ?
    I think you hit the nail on the head, right there....
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Now let me tell you what's the problem with this. It is not the vehicle, most of the problems, with vehicles getting stuck on beaches, taking boats out or launching boats, is the gap between the steeringwheel and the seat. And then also, the sweet taste of booze. Nobody will tell you what your vehicle is capable of doing when you've had a few. We go to Sodwana every year, and you will not believe what people do with there vehicles on the beach. Sometime I just think they are stupid. So when you don't know how or what you vehicle is capable of doing, get out or stay home please. If you don't know how a computer works, put down the mouse, push away the keyboard and step away from the computer. The problem is between the keyboard and the chair. So if you driving on the beach, take out the air, or stay off the freekin beach.

linda eilers

+1

I have never been to Sodwana but an X5 4.8iS doing close to 150km/h through my fishing lines on namibian beach close to does it for my liking!

Unfortunately for us there are a lot of manne and boykies around who are more adept at drinking beer or hoes-en-poep while driving offroad than actually driving properly.

My personal opinion is that its similar to sex. When a man gets excited the blood all flows downhill to you know where and as we all have a finite amount of blood in us the blood has to flow from somewhere, leaving that area weakened, which is why we can sometimes do dof things when we are horny. When we are excited in our 4x4 vehicles the testosterone rises and add had a few dops then I think a similar thing occurs, the old 'nads change to steel and all reasoning and brain activity goes out the window. That is why seemingly intelligent people do the most stupid things offroad but at least I suppose for the onlookers it's free entertainment.

The problem is that these pillocks do not realise what they are doing to the 4x4 community as a whole and it takes great effort to reverse the damage done, especially in the eyes of the general public, who are not as 4x4 friendly as we would like them to be.

We try to avoid groups of 4x4 drivers as in the past we have encountered numerous dispays of buffoonery, recklessness, drunken behaviour at the campsite and at the wheel etc. etc.

A few years ago we were reviewing the Daberas trail for SA 4X4 magazine and the owner came along on the trail in his own vehicle to show us parts of the trail. Before we knew it we were joined by a group of 10 vehicles with a lot of MANNE driving ( and one female driver ) We were taken up a dune that tore a lot of egos to shreds as most took at least four to five attempts to get up. A lot of them had beers in the hand or coke tins which smelt strange and this added to the situation. The only one who got up first time was the woman driver and you should have heard the comments from the peanut gallery.

Trying to offer help to some testosterone laden idiot who has had a few and is embarrassed because he forgot or did not let down his tyres and got stuck in front of a lot of people is asking for trouble, in my book. I walk away and leave them to it, especially if they have been drinking.
    ---------------------------------
    Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast