Are 4x4 people becoming ignorant?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are 4x4 people becoming ignorant?

I was wondering if I should start this topic as I don't want to get my head bit of because of my opinion. The point is just that seeing the incident which I want to describe makes me realise that not all mortals are suppose to have the privilege to make use of a 4x4 vehicle. Which make me say this is the following..........

While on holiday now at St. Lucia we took the usual route and also visited Cape Vidal. I love watching boat being taken out the water and pulled of the beach. On this one particular day one of the first boat out was a console forward rubber duck of about 4-5 meter lenght 2x 40hp motors. Nothing big about it. The vehicle used to tow, a 4.5lt 80 series Land Cruiser. A nice capable vehicle in any ones book, even a landy Lover like myself. Now this vehicle should pull this duck on a trailer without a fuss, RIGHT? Wrong, this guy had his wheels at almost 1mil bar and couldn't get the duck up the incline onto the flat part on his way of the beach. I went up to the driver/owner? and said that he would be a lot better of deflating his tyres and just pumping them up again once of the beach. All ski boat owners using a beach as a launch site should know that it is just so much easier when your tyres are deflated. To make a long story short this guy ended up making a run for it for about 100m along the water line and then swerving up going through a little gap between umbrellas and gazebos put up by day visitors. Totally unexceptable if you ask me.

Just after this a bigger cat with 2x 90hp motors was taken out by a gentleman from Mtuba with a much older FJ60 wagon. See the granny of the 80 series. At first he also had a go without letting some air out but on a hint from a friendly spectator he let his tyres down and presto, 2nd gear low range that old lady idled off the beach without so much as a slip of a wheel. I walked passed that gentleman while they were cleaning the boat and he gave me a great slap on the back and thank me for pointing out, the age old tradition of deflated tyres for beach driving.

A Subaru Forester pulled a duck of that same stretch of beach without getting stuck, and yes even those low profile were deflated.

The question is now just that, was this guy to proud to get out and admit his mistake? Was he trying to prove a point? Or was it just ignorance? He was the only guy who got stuck and the only driver who's car left in a pungent cloud of something smelling of burning clutch plate.

I wonder what the opinions on this might be from the rest of the community. Let me know.

Henk
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Henkus...

you get all kinds. a lot of people think slotting it into low range is all 4x4ing is about.

and yes, you get the type that won't take advice and would rather behave like a moron and risk hurting people than 'lose face'

there are a lot of ignoramuses driving around in 4x4s, rubber ducks, quads, dirt bikes that are either plain stupid, rude or totally inconsiderate, most likely all three at least. just look anywhere where you can 'play' - someone has ALWAYS spun up areas where they shouldn't have, eg - high tide line at Walker bay, in the restriced dunes in Walvis and so on.

these guys give the decent guys a bad name....

it's a shame.

Yes, I think he was too embarrassed to admit his mistake. He should have known better, however if one considers that he bought this Cruiser only to pull a boat, you can bet he has never attended any sort of driving skill course.
    I am afraid that the ignorant will always be with us, God loves them, that is why he made so many.
    Certainly most if not all the 4x4 drivers that I have been with, display an excellent grasp of what they are about. A pleasure to be with.
    David Wolmarans

Ford Ranger 2.5 4 x 4 DC turbo diesel, bog standard (Have now fitted a Burnco front bumper, looking for a snorkel)

which is why a 4x4 licence requiring training is a nice idea

it only takes money to buy a 4x4 and a boat, it doesn't take knowledge.

at least with the boat you need to know how to use it before you are allowed to...
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

That is also one of my fav holiday spots & you often get incidents like this, i often sit & watch the mayhem.

One thing i did notice, its always the gp guys with the fancy 4x4 & fancy boat that have the ego issue & get stuck or make a mess of it. The locals are generally ok!

On the same spot about 2yrs ago a gp launched his cat with a new did pajero, then left his 4x4 & trailer right there ignoring the people request that he park higher up. I left before he got back, but his paj was almost to the top of the wheel arches in the sand. Dont know what happend but couldnt have been pretty. Went back the next day at about 10am & it was gone, dont know if they got it out or if the sea took it!
    Justin (Aka GECKO)
    Isuzu KB300 Dteq D/C 4x4 +
    Member I.O.C.

If there's dirt i'll find it!!

Man, you guys that know bugger all, make us guys that know everything, the moer in.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Just because he pulls his boat with a 4x4 doesn't make him a "4x4 person".

And just because Henris drives a cruiser doesn't mean he knows everything
    I think we need to rethink what we think we know...

Ignorance is acceptable because knowledge can be learned and taught, if willing to learn but arrogant people who are unwilling to learn or be taught are the ones that cause the trouble and get themselves and others into trouble.

Some still think you are more of a man when you can do it in 4x2 and without deflating. Why did they buy a 4x4 then in the first place
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Quote Originally Posted by Generaal View Post
    Just because he pulls his boat with a 4x4 doesn't make him a "4x4 person".
    Too true. Way too many posers out there with their yuppiemobiles. Gives all 4x4 drivers a bad name.
    Nico8)
    1996 Pajero 3.5 V6 LWB, OME, ARB bumber, 31" Hankook tyres

Quote Originally Posted by henris View Post
    man, you guys that know bugger all, make us guys that know everything, the moer in.
    rotflmao
    ;d
    Piers

Present: None
    Past: Disco 3 V8 HSE
    Defender 110 2.8i

Thanks NOW and the AAWDC!!
    Soon!!!!
    LROC PRO
    Defender TD5
    Previous: '82 RR
    Series III R6

You should've taken a picture of this guy and post it here , so we know when we meet this guy to take out the recovry gear so long

Andre Joubert
    08 Merc C 220 CDI AMG (Wifes car )
    01 Pajero 4.0 GLS Auto 5D
    EX- 02-Toyota Hilux 2.7
    EX- 97 Disco V8

[QUOTE=

On the same spot about 2yrs ago a gp launched his cat with a new did pajero, then left his 4x4 & trailer right there ignoring the people request that he park higher up. I left before he got back, but his paj was almost to the top of the wheel arches in the sand. Dont know what happend but couldnt have been pretty. Went back the next day at about 10am & it was gone, dont know if they got it out or if the sea took it![/QUOTE]

Either an error of judgement, or a navigational error.

He most likely pulled the same stunt a couple of weeks prior this insident at Harties, with no problems. The edge of the water is the edge of the water, right?

What really gets my dangleberries in a curl is when OLDER and WELL MONEY'd "gentlemen" pull up to a secluded campsite right next to mine - depite we being the only 2 punters there, with campsites stretching over a 2 km radius. Brand new, expensive 4500EFI "Bruiser with Double Cab conversion, OR Trailer, 20 x 20 x 200 () Mud and Taxi Terrain treads, Alu cab, Jerry cans on the roof, the lot. Out comes Brandy, Sterio, Generator in that order. Followed 5 hours later by the "Kareoki Okie" singing "the road is long" like only a pi$$ed 50 year old Jo'burger can.

Maybe there is truth in the story that lead in exhaust emmissions caused brain damage??

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Man, you guys that know bugger all, make us guys that know everything, the moer in.
    Stronger words comes to mind about stupid people.

Disco 2 V8 XS

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    I was wondering if I should start this topic as I don't want to get my head bit of because of my opinion. The point is just that seeing the incident which I want to describe makes me realise that not all mortals are suppose to have the privilege to make use of a 4x4 vehicle. Which make me say this is the following.........

To make a long story short this guy ended up making a run for it for about 100m along the water line and then swerving up going through a little gap between umbrellas and gazebos put up by day visitors. Totally unexceptable if you ask me.

The question is now just that, was this guy to proud to get out and admit his mistake? Was he trying to prove a point? Or was it just ignorance? He was the only guy who got stuck and the only driver who's car left in a pungent cloud of something smelling of burning clutch plate.
    I wonder what the opinions on this might be from the rest of the community. Let me know.
    Henk
    It is indeed a privilege to be able to go to off the beaten track and to places that other plat kar drivers can only dream about, just a pity that a 4 X 4 does not automatically teach one respect for your fellow man and nature.

The incident of the guy driving amongst other beach users is exactly what prompted the ban on beach driving when one or the other "Rambo" nearly took out Vali Moosa. People think it is their right to go where they want to, just look at the present topics on forum at the moment. ie Guys driving on the beach and then defending themselves by stating that the locals have licences to do so and therefor it is ok.

In my opinion this kind of behavior should be dealt with in the most severe way as we are rapidly closing the door to a pastime that we all enjoy.

Being arrogant and hardegat is the quickest way to get oneself in trouble, learn from other peoples mistakes life is too short to make them all yourself

Henk
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    which is why a 4x4 licence requiring training is a nice idea

it only takes money to buy a 4x4 and a boat, it doesn't take knowledge.

at least with the boat you need to know how to use it before you are allowed to...
    makes me smile to think that these guys will spend countless hours getting their skippers license but would not bother to spend a bit of time studying the basics of off-roading. there are many videos, DVDs and books available. i cut my teeth on the finer details of offroad driving on Andrew St Pierre White's videos in the RRC.

it is guys like the one described that creates a bad impression of off-roaders and get the vehicles banned from beaches and other sensitive areas. quite often they pass you on the way down to the coast travelling at 150 km/h with a boat in tow. GP rules!!! here we come!!!! lets show them how it is done!! big rig, big bucks!!

in the days when beach driving around St Lucia was acceptable, i used to patrol the beach quite comfortably with my 2 litre air cooled 2x4 VW Kombi with 205 tyres deflated to around 1 bar. never had to get gung ho and never got stuck. often saw 4x4's stuck with rock hard tyres.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Very valid points being made here but don't ruin it by slagging off GP drivers. There are ar'holes in every province and country and this forum has a key role to play in both educating people and monitoring and regulating bad practices where necessary.

Not sure to what degree NOW and AAWDC will address this issue, as I believe the problem is more a case of the way the 4x4 scene has developed and personal attitudes - no longer is it about the ability to get away and explore, it's all about the car and the 'mine is better than yours' attitude.

To be seen to be deflating your tyres is akin admitting that your vehicle isn't as capable as another - how many people can relate a story about people not deflating tyres, stacks. It's all about ego, possibly the biggest problem that the 4x4 scene faces, and it's a problem at all levels..

Henkus,

This type of behavior is not ignorance it is ARROGANCE.

Spectator,

I agree with you, the 4x4 scene has far to many arrogant, mucho, "windgat", etc etc ("mine is bigger than yours type") individuals who have no respect for the environment let alone respect for those of us who would like to conserve the environment.

I could rant on here for hours about these types and am sure we all could. The saddest part being that not many (if any) of these types are members of a forum like this.

Really sad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast