camping on lake malawi south

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default camping on lake malawi south

Hi
    we are looking for advice on where we should camp on the south side of the lake, Lilongwe and south)?

Scenery and safety are important to us...

Kind regards
    Marna

Hi Marna,

We were very disappointed with Monkey Bay and wished we had gone to the Sunbird Nkopola lodge in Mangochi instead. Monkey Bay is very congested and populated. Most uncomfortable. This is the only advice I can really offer. I think Tony Weaver had a few ideas about that area.

My trip report is under Tanzania as we did Tanz and Mal last year.

Bye for now
    Linda

Hi Marna,

I haven't been there for awhile, but Cape Maclear is a far better alternative than Monkey Bay. There are several camps/lodges/backpackers on the beach there - Google it. At Senga Bay, there's the Wheelhouse at Kambiri Point and another spot that I can't remember the name of. The Livingstonia Hotel (Sunbird) also had a campsite - I read somewhere that all the Sunbird hotels now have campsites - Linda, was that you? Liwonde National Park, although on the Shire River and not the lake, is worth a visit. There's the Mvuu campsite and also a tented camp plus luxury lodge - one of the best places to see Pel's fishing owl. A boat game drive is well worth it.

Tony

Thank you - will explore further... I really needed some pointers.

Marna

What I do know is that Malawi is safe and you should not worry about your safety.

I've been there 14 years ago and it was bliss. We are there this June/July and plan to camp at Livingstonia Beach hotel and Nkopola Lodge. Whether it is the best bet, I do not know. Overland trucks is another factor to take into consideration....it can be very noisy. We will just go with the flow and check out the best spots when we arrive - no bookings beforehand.

I will let you know when I find out about nice spots. When are you going? If you go later than us, I will send you the info.

Bostoe

Hi

we will be there 29 June, out 2 July 2010.

Tx

At Manchoci is also a camping site at a lodge. veryu ncie on the beach lake, nice, i agree, very safe in malawi
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Yes Marna, we will be around there at the time. White Pajero GLX - Free State Registration- Two blond girls along (7 & 10) and Echo 4 trailer.

We might bump into each other.....you never know.

Bostoe

Cool Runnings at Senga Bay is quite nice. There are a few lodges at Cape Maclear as well. I stayed in a really nice campsite but cannot remember the name now (used to be Ba Blue, but the name changed). Just ask the locals around there.

Wood you be interested in camping on the Mozambique side of Lake Malawi(south) as we are planning a trip September-Ocktober this year. Are you interested in fishing?

We camped at Palm Beach resort about 11km North of Mangochi last year June. Very nice, affordable and quiet.

Default mvuvu

Hi

We are thinking of rather camping at Mvuvu camp in Liwonde reserve and doing Cape mclear in a day trip. Any ideas whether this will be goodHow is mvuvu?

Kind regards
    Marna

So Tinkie2010 and Bostoe, where did you camp on Lake Malawi and any valueble feedback, we are planning to go there during July 2011.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

Johan ek is sommer lekker jaloers as ek hoor van jou planne!!!

Ons het by Livingstonia Beach hotel by Senga bay (naby Salima) gekamp. Die fasiliteite is silwerskoon en die staanplekke het krag. Mens kan kies of jy op die "strand" wil kamp of op gras, bietjie verder in. Sterk aan te bevele!!!!

Baie na aan daar is daar Cool Runnings, maar mens kan nie die meer sien van die kampplek af nie. Sou die plek net in 'n noodgeval gebruik.

Naby Magotchi het ons by Palm Lodge gekamp. Die badkamers is maar grillerig. Die vissermanne stap daar verby, wat nogal interessant is om te sien hoe hulle te werk gaan. Daar is egter die probleem dat die kinders mens aanstaar as mens rustig aan jou ete wil smul. Daar is 'n kragpunt tot mens se beskikking.

Ek het ook Fat Monkey's by Monkey Bay gesien. Die plek was vol, maar ek het 'n baie beknopte gevoel gekry. Ek het op die Vrystaatse vlaktes grootgeword en hou van my spasie!

Nouja lekker beplan

Bostoe

We have spent a lot of time in that area.

Personally I don't really like Senga Bay - not the prettiest bit of the lake at all but it is very convenient for Lilongwe and gets a lot of local business for that reason. If you do stay there:

Livingstonia Beach - nice grassy campsite but beware at weekends it can get quite loud with people who come over from Lilongwe for a braai. Also a little bar there which, even when the campsite is empty, seems to pump out loud music/TV.

Cool Runnings - nice place. Campsite/ablutions aren't brilliant (though OK) but it does great food and the owner Sam is a star.

The best spot for me in the south is undoubtedly Cape Maclear about 20km over a dire road from the main tarred road into Monkey Bay. There are loads of places to stay here but if you want to camp and have your own transport I'd recommend Chembe Eagles Nest.

Or for a real treat if you can manage it logistically speak to Kayak Africa about camping on Domwe Island. You usually have to get a boat transfer for your gear but you can kayak yourselves over to it. I haven't actually been myself but have heard great things. There are only a couple of spots for camping with your own gear (plus a couple of permanent tents) so I think so you would have to sort it out in advance.

There are loads of very nice places to camp further up the lake shore, Makusi Beach, Chinteche Inn, Ngwazi Lodge for example but that may not suit your route.

Have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    Johan ek is sommer lekker jaloers as ek hoor van jou planne!!!

Ons het by Livingstonia Beach hotel by Senga bay (naby Salima) gekamp. Die fasiliteite is silwerskoon en die staanplekke het krag. Mens kan kies of jy op die "strand" wil kamp of op gras, bietjie verder in. Sterk aan te bevele!!!!

Baie na aan daar is daar Cool Runnings, maar mens kan nie die meer sien van die kampplek af nie. Sou die plek net in 'n noodgeval gebruik.

Naby Magotchi het ons by Palm Lodge gekamp. Die badkamers is maar grillerig. Die vissermanne stap daar verby, wat nogal interessant is om te sien hoe hulle te werk gaan. Daar is egter die probleem dat die kinders mens aanstaar as mens rustig aan jou ete wil smul. Daar is 'n kragpunt tot mens se beskikking.

Ek het ook Fat Monkey's by Monkey Bay gesien. Die plek was vol, maar ek het 'n baie beknopte gevoel gekry. Ek het op die Vrystaatse vlaktes grootgeword en hou van my spasie!

Nouja lekker beplan

Bostoe
    Do you perhaps have couple of Photos of Livingstonia Beach Hotel to post, cant get photo's anywhere.
    I also looked at Wheelhouse Marina and Chembe Lodge.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

Hi, ek sal voorstel eerstens jy spandeer n paar dae langs die Lake, dit is stunning!
    Chembe lodge is n goeie opsie, net twee staan plekke maar baie privaat met skoon badkamers en n mooi uitsig, sien pics.
    Mense ook baie friendelik.
    Privaat strand wat nice is.

Was Dec inLiwonde Nat park, maar Mvuvu camp was toe gewees, nie seker van seisoen of wat nie. Het langs Nat park gebly by Bushmena Baobabs, maar sal dit nie aanbeveel nie.
    Hulle is nog besig om te bou en lyk of dit maar stadig gaan.

Spandeer meer tyd langs die meer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3403.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	84668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3404.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	84669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3409.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	84670  

Default Monkey Bay

Probeer Norman Carr Cottage 15 km van af Monkey Bay. Geen kamp plek nie maar onverbeterlike verblyf en geriewe teen sakpas tariewe. Kyk op www.normancarrcottage.com en doen jou bespreking by [email protected] of kontak vir Taffy of Jenny by +265 999207506 of +265 888355357 vir 'n onvergeetlike vakansie.

Hi guys, hope you had a great trip. A bit strange to ask this but I'm finishing grad school this year and we're doing Africa - leaving Cape Town ealry december and plan be in Cape Maclear for New years - are there any camp sites that attract the 'younger' crowd?
    regards,
    Kyle
    Defender 90 Tdi
    Pretty old and rusty bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Davidson View Post
    Hi guys, hope you had a great trip. A bit strange to ask this but I'm finishing grad school this year and we're doing Africa - leaving Cape Town ealry december and plan be in Cape Maclear for New years - are there any camp sites that attract the 'younger' crowd?
    regards,
    Kyle
    Hi Kyle,

Cape Maclear is backpacker heaven. It is mostly "younger crowd" or old toppies like me who never learnt how to behave well. Just be careful of the space cake ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast