SA Coastline Trip

Default SA Coastline Trip

I want to plan a trip round the SA Coastline. From Kozi Bay all the way to Alexandera Bay. The rule is that we have to see the sea all the time. If we cant see the sea, then we are doing it wrong...

Has anyone ever done something like this? What would be the best way to find a route? I am assuming that a lot of dirt/bad roads will need to be traveled... This is fine, the only problem is how to find them

Would be good to hear of anyone else's experience of this.

I have done Langebaan to Aleanderbaai with my dad after i passed matriek. We realised that the "see the Sea" would not work as some places there are no roads and going over private propperty are frowned upon. At that stage we could still legaly drive on the sand and did that quite a lot. We fell back to never leave the coastline by more than 15km. That work very well.

The whole trip was a spur of the moment thing... we talked about it one evening at the braaivleisvuur, and left 10:30 the following morning!

Up the West Coast you also have the problem of "Diamant spergebied" luckaly an employee of my dad had a contact to let us go thru.

What a trip almost 3 weeks of utter beauty father and son. great memmories were formed! Enjoy the planning.

EDIT: Use Tracks 4 africa with Google Earth (not availible in 1993) We just "Hit the road" and went were our noses pointed us. not realy the ideal but a lot of fun!
    Last edited by CoenraadB; 2010/04/13 at 03:01 PM.
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

Wow! That DOES sound like a lot of fun! I was also thinking that we might have to relax the See the Sea rule a bit.

Also thinking that we might have to do the trip in two 3 week stages. Kozi to Cape Town, then Alex. Bay to Cape Town the following year. Dont think we would appreciate the coastline if we rush through it all in one go.

This trip would be awesome.

2004 2.8TDI Mitsubishi Colt 4x4 Double Cab

"Live your dreams!"

Voetspore Season 2 did something like this. They visited all the lighthouses. Started in Mozambique and ended in Walvis bay.

See if you can find the DVD's. There should be some ideas in there
    Jacques Greyling
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
    1999 Prado 3.4 V6

Quote Originally Posted by jonno99 View Post
    I want to plan a trip round the SA Coastline. From Kozi Bay all the way to Alexandera Bay. The rule is that we have to see the sea all the time. If we cant see the sea, then we are doing it wrong...

Has anyone ever done something like this? What would be the best way to find a route? I am assuming that a lot of dirt/bad roads will need to be traveled... This is fine, the only problem is how to find them

Would be good to hear of anyone else's experience of this.
    Ek is besig daarmee, ongelukkig kon ek dit nie in een trip doen nie, maar vir die laaste 5 jaar probeer ek om 'n gedeelte te doen. Jy gaan sukkel om heelpad die see te sien, party plekke is dit net nie moontlik nie.

Ek sou ook se dat die Voetspore ouens se DVD die beste inligting sal gee, maar sedert hulle daar was het baie verander, ek verwys veral na die St. Lucia - Cape vidal gedeelte in hulle roete. Toe hulle daar was , was daar nog baie bosse, nou is dit oop.

Terloops ek moet nog die gedeelte tussen P.E. en Winkelspruit doen dan is ek klaar.

Maar om dit in een trip te doen sal lieflik wees, ek sal moet wag tot ek afgetree het!! nog so bietjie tyd voor dan.
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI

Hi Julius, I mean Frans

That sounds amazing, just one little section left!

I tried to get the Voetspore DVDs from Look and Listen but the don't have it in stock, so I will try and order it online on Monday. Love that show...

Been looking on Google Maps (haven't had a chance to check out Tracks for Africa yet) and it seems that it will be better to do the West Coast Leg first. I don't think I will have a 4x4 by early next year so it might be better to do that leg first because it seems that there is a decent road hugging the coast for most of the way. Once I have a 4x4 I will do the East and South Coast "bit" because there are areas where I am sure I will need a 4x4.

Really excited about this trip now...next year April seems much too far away now...

Voetspore "tracks for africa" roetekaarte: http://www.voetspore.co.za/produkte.php
    Het nog nie self gesien watse roetes hulle alles hier op het nie... maar dit moet interressant wees.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno99 View Post
    Hi Julius, I mean Frans

Been looking on Google Maps (haven't had a chance to check out Tracks for Africa yet) ...
    Turn on the T4A layer in Google Earth and you can do both at the same time

errrrm, silly question...but how do I turn on the T4A layer? Do I need to purchase additional software? I checked on their website and they say all i need to do is download the latest version and expand more...tis not there or am I just missing something small?

nevermind...answered my own question...

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...9&postcount=14

Bleak, I didnt know it had been removed.

Yip, most uncool, but the developments they have in the pipeline seem good...

OK, so here are the towns we are planning on staying in or around for the West Coast leg of the coastal tour.

Alexander bay (2 nights)
    Port Nolloth (1 night)
    Kleinzee (1 night)
    Hondeklipbaai (2 nights)
    Groenriviersmond (2 nights)
    Papendorp or Doringbaai or Strandfontein (2 nights)
    Lambertsbaai or Elandsbaai (1 night)

Has anyone been to these places or are there other places along the coast we should rather visit? What is there to do in these areas besides catching fish? River rafting and other things?