Stone Chip

Thread: Stone Chip

Default Stone Chip

During our trip to the Northern Cape last year doing the Namakwa offroad trail and Richtersveld and down to Honneklipbaai the a frame and front part of the trailer's suspension got snadblasted a bit, all the rubberizing/stone chip was removed and now its bare metal. I need to fix this up before leaving for the coast .

Where is the best place in PTA to buy decent stone chip that is properly tough and would not damage or come off again easily? I used a rubberising product that I bought from Y2K paint before but I do not think it is the strongest available. Cant remember what it was called.

In my opinion Stone Chip is also a low grade product, which doesn't give much protection. You buy it at Builders for crying out loud!

But in saying this I also have the same problem, and I don't have an answer yet! I am thinking a long, strong flap behind the car is the way to go!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Uysh man that's not helping

Hallo Bennie, ek het hier by die 4x4 skou gesien hulle het aan die towbar 2 pype gesit (amper soos 'n fietsrak monteer punt), van 20mm pyp weerskante van die hak is. In hierdie pype pas L pype met modderflappe wat die hele breedte van die voertuig is van swaar rubber materiaal wat so 20mm van die grond is. Alle klippe van die wiele af word gekeer. Wat ek kan voorstel, is om gewone verf te gebruik en alles roes dig te kry. Rivet dan dun aluminium plaat (checkered) teen die treiler waar die klippe tref en hou so die treiler meer bestand teen 'sandblast'
    Johan
    Toyota Hilux D4D SR5
    ZS6YR/VK4JHE

Hi Johan long time no hear.

Man ja ek het ook al sulke contrapsions gesien maar ek weet nie of dit regtig die moeite werd is nie want wat my sleepwa deur is laas jaar is regig extreme en sal darem nie gereeld gebeur nie.

As ek net weer van die selfde tipe ruberizing can kry wat reeds op was sal ek heel happy wees dis net dat die goed wat ek laas gekoop het redelik swak was, ek het die ysters waarmee ek die Pajero se sliders gecover het daarme gespray en as jy net hard vir dit gekyk het was daar stukkende pleke in, so as ek net goeie kwaliteit ruberizing of stonechip kan kry sal ek happy wees.

Enige panel beating shop sal jou in die regte rigting wys.
    Die flap is maar die manier om dit te doen.

Ben,

By die motor verf verskaffers kan jy 'n poly produk kry wat amper is soos die bakkie liner. Hulle kos omtrent R100 'n blik en jy sal ten minste 2 blikke nodig kry. Jy kry 'n spesiale "gun" om dit mee aan te spuit. Die kannetjie skroef direk aan die gun.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

for nice flat panels as fitted to a trailer - put some torch on bitumen in the affected areas like they use for house roof waterproofing. applies easily with a torch, it's flexible, stones bounce off it, for that much product it costs next to nothing if you can get a few offcuts. it's nice and neat too, will stop the rust that would form on the previously sand blasted metal, works like a bomb!!!

Have used 3mm rubber matting, stuck on with Genkem. 2 years later it is still stuck and neat.
    Gavin Pike

We made extra flaps for the vehicle and it made a huge difference on the stonechipping of the trailer. The flaps are removed between trips. Tested it the first time on our recent Richtersveld trip. Photo taken at Aquacade just outside Vioolsdrift.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Spook; 2010/04/15 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Correcting Vioolsdrift
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

What about Hammerite? It's seriously tough stuff, once it's cured its seems to be impervious even to brake fluid. Not that I've tested its chip resistance, but it bonds seriously well with the metal.You can spray it, and you can get it in primer form, so you can put other paint on top (assuming that the other paint is strong enough not to chip off.)

A decent paint shop will be able to give you more advice regarding additives that make your paint more flexible and less prone to chipping, normally used by the guys who build Cobra's and such, which flex...

The other question is: was the trailer given a decent ETCH primer at the factory, previous to getting the primer followed by stonechip, then paint. Preparation and product is everything with good paintwork, but less important with mass production...

MTCW...
    Last edited by SteveW155; 2010/04/15 at 04:08 PM. Reason: finger trouble

Brommer:'93 Jeep XJ 4L
    Tippex: '98 Jeep XJ 4L Sport (Project)
    PLATKAR:
    Alfa 156 GTA (Godfather)
    Alfa 155 16V Sport (Red Baron)
    Alfa GTV6
    Alfa GTV2000
    Alfa Giulia Super
    Alfa Superhatch (Snowy)
    (OK now I'm outta the closet)
    SWAMBO: Fiat Strada (Trucky)

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    We made extra flaps for the vehicle and it made a huge difference on the stonechipping of the trailer. The flaps are removed between trips. Tested it the first time on our recent Richtersveld trip. Photo taken at Aquacade just outside Sendelingsdrift.
    Spook, we stayed there too on our trip but SWAMBO saw your pic and said I must correct you the camp is just outside Vioolsdrift

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW155 View Post
    What about Hammerite? It's seriously tough stuff, once it's cured its seems to be impervious even to brake fluid. Not that I've tested its chip resistance, but it bonds seriously well with the metal.You can spray it, and you can get it in primer form, so you can put other paint on top (assuming that the other paint is strong enough not to chip off.)
    A decent paint shop will be able to give you more advice regarding additives that make your paint more flexible and less prone to chipping, normally used by the guys who build Cobra's and such, which flex...
    The other question is: was the trailer given a decent ETCH primer at the factory, previous to getting the primer followed by stonechip, then paint. Preparation and product is everything with good paintwork, but less important with mass production...
    MTCW...
    Well it was sandblasted onto the bare metal so I guess I will have to etch it first before painting it with whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by benhur View Post
    Spook, we stayed there too on our trip but SWAMBO saw your pic and said I must correct you the camp is just outside Vioolsdrift
    Thanks for pointing that out. I must admit I keep on getting mixed up with Vioolsdrift and Sendelingsdrift.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Go to a paint shop and buy some Megabond. It is actually used for sealing roofs and parapet walls. Lot more durable and also has some kind of fibre in. Really works well.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. I must admit I keep on getting mixed up with Vioolsdrift and Sendelingsdrift.
    Dont worry half the time if you catch me offgaurd I will not even remember the name vioolsdrift or many other places along our route we visited, luckily I can call on SWAMBO when my memory fails