Hardbody II Exhaust Resonance?

Default Hardbody II Exhaust Resonance?

Hi all,

I've just bought my first 4x4, a '99 Hardbody 3.0 V6 dc with 147k on the odo (furreal!) which I'm totally stoked with. My question to all you experienced Nissan 4x4'ers is:

Under acceleration, is it normal for the exhaust note to change in pitch between 2400 and 2600 rpm to a much more high-pitched, shrill sound? I recall my dad's old Sani (with over 450k on the odo) doing the same thing but I'm not sure if it's just the nature of that specific engine/exhaust or whether it's a sign that somethings rotten in Denmark.

In either case, it ruins the sound of an otherwise beautiful engine, especially since cruising at 110kpm in 5th sits exactly on 2500rpm!...(and NO, I do not want to close the window...at least until I've grown bored of that lovely V6 burble

I've just had a hole in the front silencer fixed and am considering getting a freeflow fitted, but would appreciate any insight from guys who have experience with this vehicle (or others with the same motor) before starting to worry about the reason for the change in engine noise.

Thanks in advance,
    CJ

Mines fine, but thats the shape after yours with the 3.3 engine.
    '03 Nissan Hardbody 3.3 V6 4x4 D/C
    Full OME Suspension

I have a 93 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 and I get the exact same shrill sound from the exhaust, only difference is mine starts at around 2800rpm and goes to about 3400rpm. I have a cowley freeflow fitted and I thought that might be the reason for the shrill sound since I bought the sani with the freeflow already fitted, When that exhaust is worn I am going to try wildcat branches and freeflow to see if that will fix the problem.

These 3.0 V6's have such a nice sound to them would just love that exhaust note to go away.

I have no problem with mine.

When doing a new exhaust, look at the silencer design. The best for removing high frequency sounds is the absorption type.

It is basically a piece of perforated pipe, wrapped with insulating material on the outside covered with sheet metal. This is the less restrictive you can get. It tends to be loud, but only low frequency sound.
    Kobus

Nissan