Campmaster fridge pricing - going up

Default Campmaster fridge pricing - going up

Hi All

Not the start of a fridge debate thread, just some useful info for those considering buying a Campmaster!

I was toying with the idea of buying a Campmaster fridge from Makro. They currently have the 40(sold as 45)L available for R4999 and the 95L for R6799. Hoping that I could get something a bit bigger than 40L I mailed the distributors, Smart Tent, about their 55L and 75L models. This was the response:

Hi Thomas,

You have unfortunately picked a bad time to buy a fridge from us as the
    prices have just gone up.

55L 12/220v R7999.00
    75L 12/220v R8499.00

<...cut, shop soiled options...>

Kind regards,
    ROB.
    That's right, the 55L is R1199 more expensive than the 95L at Makro, and the 75L is R1699 more expensive! In a later mail Rob said "when the new prices work through, Makro`s prices will go up accordingly". Seems like the prices are being adjusted to be much closer to the big names on the market.

So I bought a 40L this morning. If you're considering buying one of these units, you may want to hurry up.

Happy with my purchase so far. It has a few assembly issues, I had to tighten a screw here and there and file down a sharp edge or two, but the components are excellent and it works really well from our initial testing.

I used a Snomaster previously and the Snomaster had a 10 degree switch range, so if you set it to -18 the compressor would only kick in again when the temp reached -8. The Campmaster has a 3 degree switch range which is much better. It comes with a Danfoss compressor, controller and display - what a pleasure having all these pieces that were designed to work with each other!

Funny that your snomaster had a 10 degree range, mine (55l) is currently 2 years old and the range is 3 degrees. The controller was probably wrongly set.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Hi Tweeling

We have the poly 45+10 Snomaster version. We're mostly happy with it so far, but the 10 degree range was a bit of an issue, would be interesting if it we could still adjust that in the controller.

We also had issues with the supplied cable that broke on us and even more issues when we fitted another and realised that polarity was not indicated on the unit. We connected it up incorrectly but fortunately only blew a voltage regulator on their custom display board. That was easy enough to fix.

The biggest advantage though with the new unit is the power draw. The Snomaster indicated a 5 or 6A draw. We also fitted extra fans internally which may have pushed that up by another amp. The new unit indicates 2A draw and has been tested at 2.8A (not by me, the fridge shootout). That's less than half the draw, or double the time on our aux battery.

We still have both, but the Snomaster is a backup. I think the steel Snomaster versions probably have better construction than the poly we have, which could account for the 10 degree issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeling View Post
    Funny that your snomaster had a 10 degree range, mine (55l) is currently 2 years old and the range is 3 degrees. The controller was probably wrongly set.

We have a 80L Campmaster fridge/freezer for two years now and are extremely happy with it.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"