dislocation of rear springs

Default dislocation of rear springs

many tricks have been cooked up to accommodate the dislocation of rear springs on Land Rovers.
    a spring that dislocates normally requires forcing it back into position which can be frustrating and you could injure yourself.
    this is a little trick which may assist some of you out there.
    it is cheap and quick to install.
    buy 2 exhaust clamps from your local exhaust fitment centre (i used approx 48mm u-bolts). lift the rear of the vehicle marginally to get some compression off the springs and hook the u-bolts in through the top coil of the spring and the cradle. fit the crossbar, washers and nuts and tighten up. bend the ends over marginally in order for the nuts not to come loose. cut off excess bolt length if required.
    this will at worst cause the rear axle to hang from the coil when fully extended.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Now that's why I like this forum. Cheap and dirty.
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

promise i will wash it after playing tomorrow!

The exhaust clamp route is fine if you don't want too much travel when dislocating,but the whole idea IS to dislocate,bearing in mind your other parts should also be expandable i.e brake lines,shocks etc
    These are the 'proper' dislocation cones I've fitted at the rear,the front ones are on the bottom of the spring and more pipe-like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breather Manifold & Dislocation Cones 005.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	56501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breather Manifold & Dislocation Cones 004.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	56502  
    A legend in his own mind

Yep, I definately like my springs to dislocate, drives the Toy drivers mad when they see that articulation and compare it to their live rear axel with eliptical spring (bakkies) and wishbones on their Prancings or whatever they are called

Must admit, when they took the air struts out and I saw them only "fasten" the springs at the bottom, it frightened the bejebbers out of me until I tried em

Estee-do you have any dislocation spring relocation system on your truck?
    I've had two people tell me that I've broken my springs when they see them dislocate,makes a good talking point. You actually get smaller springs that fit in your existing springs to give some pressure to the axle so you still get decent traction when dislocated,otherwise you only have the wheight of your axle to give pressure. Can't find a pic though? I'm thinking of getting some made up,theres a factory somewhere around Benoni that makes springs I think?
    You can also replace the rubber bump stops with a longer spring/shock type set up so the 'stop' is not so sudden,again-no pic?
    It's difficult to do a search when you don't know what they are called?
    A legend in his own mind

i have encountered that when the spring dislocates, the wheel drops so far that on one occasion i bent the trailing arm like a paperclip.
    the trailing arms on the disco 2 have been uprated but the disco 1 is merely a pipe. this i intend upgrading on mine soon.
    by anchoring the spring at the top, the spring starts working in reverse restricting the downward movement. the length the wheel still travels as however scary. it travels at least another 300mm.
    you want a good travel but excessive wheel travel places excessive strain on the upper balljoint, the propshaft coupling and the trailing arms.
    you are only relying on the deadstop of the shock to prevent overtravel. with the top shock mounts having been lowered by 50mm as in my case, the wheel travels a lot further.

by the time the rear wheel hangs, you have virtually no traction of that wheel and additional travel on that axle is gone unless you have lockers.

spring locators work well but generally those manufactured for the aftermarket are expensive and have seen several of them that don't locate the spring accurately and pinch the damper ring on top of the spring and destroy it. driving without the damper ring makes the suspension noisy.

Incrediblebob, the P38 has a "cup" type arrangement where the top of the spring sits. This used to cover the upermost 1/4 or 1/3 of the airstrut. I dont think I have had the problem that you have mentioned keeping in mind that articulation is restricted by the compressability of the other wheel limiting travel. I have Iron Man and perhaps they took this into consideration in the design. On that note, these were designed for the Disco but just bolt in.

It is nice to have decent articulation,but I'm not going any further as I still need my truck as a road vehicle,but it does look incredible, this guy has it easy when he needs to change the diff oil-pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A legend in his own mind

Now thats just plain rude No self respecting Landy would put her undercarriage on display like that

insane!