My share of bad luck this past long weekend

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy My share of bad luck this past long weekend

Seems like I had my fare share of bad luck, you know those ones that comes in 3's.

Had a lovely rainy holiday at badplaas... First off my laptop hard drive packed up, but thats ok because I have backups. Before leaving badplaas I checked all 4 Tyres @ 2.2bar (No heavy load). About 100km away driving at a nice and easy 120km/h I hear this whirring noise, stopping immediately, I found my right rear tyre sidewall destroyed. I have no idea how this happend, I assume it got flat. I did find a nail in that same tyre about a week ago, took it immediately to a tyre garage but no leak was found and thus no action taken.

Fitted my marie biscuit spare and off we went not going any faster than 80km/h (I was impressed at the fuel conumption going so slow on the hi-way, only 8l/100km for a 5.5LV. So off we went for the next [email protected] 80km/h to Leandra to a have 2 new rear tyres fitted. That marie biscuit has to go, I need to fit a proper spare!!!!!

Assuming to get home @ around 14h00, we left that morning at 8h30... About 10km outside Delmas the engine light came on and the car was limited to 80km/h due to a serious loss of power(felt like the companies 2.8D Nissan bakkie). Pulled off the road and found that 1 bank wasnt firing. Phoned merc and they said I should rather not drive the car, they will come pick it up. After about 1h30 min later a flatbed arrived and off it went. We got home at around 17h00 that afternoon.

Merc informed me that my Catalytic Converters were totally blocked, I assume a piece of the primary cat broke off and blocked the exhaust pipe. The car has 4x Cats, Replacement value for the both banks is about R80k, totally rediculous but since our law doesnt require emission control I was given the option to remove these blockages in my cars exhaust pipes at a cost of R1700 from Hi-Q. They will knock out the primary cats and the secondary cats will be replaced with a freeflow silencer. The merc mech made a couple of mods so the Engine light wont come on with the cats missing. We reckon the car should be making around 280kW with the blockages(cats) removed. The only downside is the (boxes that Hi-Q fitted has only 57mm pipes)removed and the car is standard with twin 63mm pipes...

edit: removed 57mm boxes and fitted straight 63mm pipes. What a beautiful noise!!!!!

I hope I've had my fair share of bad luck for a longtime!

The pictures are from the 1 secondary CAT, the loose pieces are from the primary CAT/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10042010383.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	56492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10042010384.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	56493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10042010385.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	56494  
    Last edited by Ne3M; 2010/04/15 at 10:56 AM. Reason: edit

I read somewhere that the innards of these cats are made of very expensive stuff, can not recall what it was. Maybe you can sell it to recover your costs!

Pity about the pipes, but the V8 surely sounds better whithout the cats ?
    Last edited by Johan; 2010/04/10 at 02:28 PM.
    Johan van Niekerk. I can't spell and my grammar sucks, so deal with it!
    2010 Jeep G/C 5.7 V V T Hemi Overland
    2007 Xplorerhttp://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Yes, the inside of the converter contains platinum, which is the actual catalyst.
    That is what makes them so expensive.
    Best of luck; I believe they stop working after a while anyway.

hope your luck changes for the better.

i would not settle for the 57mm pipes though - i'd insist on 63mm to match the rest of the standard pipes....small sections of 57mm inserts will be a restriction in itself and a waste of R1700(got the T-shirt) - or take it elsewhere if they cannot get 63mm
    Everest 2.2 XLS 4x4
    Invader Quattro

I agree about the 63mm pipe. Take it somewhere else if they say they can't do it.
    You will probably find they were semi blocked for a while.
    Nice power increase to be had.
    The titanium in the cats is exspensive, but not worth anything as scrap. Apparantly very difficult to process. We took a lot of cats out of the superbikes. (for performance)

Dapper Muis, just a correction, PLATINUM is what is mostly used in converters and that is why they are so expensive.
    May your stay be an experience and your experience be why you stay

Cool

Really Hope your Luck Changes for the Better

I have always wondered if the Dealers/Agents ever check the working of the Catalytic Converters or Diesel Particulate Filters ...

On a Turbo car ect.. it seems a lot safer to remove it than to wait for it to choke up...

I know most SA people mod the cars ect. by fitting a freeflow essentially removing the CAT...
    Seems alot safer..

Glad there wasn't any further issues on the Mighty V8 as a result of these becoming blocked..

How Old / How many Km's does the Merc have/had on?

The Ranger is on 115k KM's and still has it's full factory system.
    Definitely considering getting the DPF/CAT removed on the Polo TDi aswell and Explorer just for peace of mind...
    2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4000V6 Manual 5 Speed 4x4
    Petri

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 L SOHC V6 Auto AWD 4x4
    Pieter

2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TDi S-Tronic Quattro
    Daily Drive

Has about 104 000km on at the moment. Well I think things can only get better

Can you tell me about the engine light mod? does the light still come on when the key is in the accessory position?

hi Brian, i have the same question, and also, which one is the engine light?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    I read somewhere that the innards of these cats are made of very expensive stuff, can not recall what it was. Maybe you can sell it to recover your costs!

Platinum, and on the first cats, yes you could possibly make a plan.
    On the stuff that's in use today, nope sorry.
    It's a ceramic that's just coated with Pt. So you have no luck to recover anything.
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; T=1 but, 1/2T=

Quote Originally Posted by Brianj View Post
    Can you tell me about the engine light mod? does the light still come on when the key is in the accessory position?
    It's the ECU fault light. The "go into limp mode" indicator.

They usually fit lamda foolers of a specific resistance to fool the ECU into thinking everything is still fine.
    SWAMBO
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by stromtrooper View Post
    hi Brian, i have the same question, and also, which one is the engine light?

Its supposed to be the first one to the left of the split in the middle, if you know what I mean. Mine does not come on at all, and I suspect this is as a result of the cat bypass mod. I have no error codes, but did go into limp mode once when the fan viscous coupling needed replacing and the temp went a bit high. I couldnt work out what was happening because no light came on.

ok, thanks Brian, i think that light does come on with the pre start check.

does your seatbelt light work? thats the only one on my dash that does not light up at start. and which merc garage did the bypass for you?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLineR View Post
    It's the ECU fault light. The "go into limp mode" indicator.

They usually fit lamda foolers of a specific resistance to fool the ECU into thinking everything is still fine.
    Thanks for the info, but that wouldnt explain why it wouldnt light up at startup?

Quote Originally Posted by stromtrooper View Post
    ok, thanks Brian, i think that light does come on with the pre start check.

does your seatbelt light work? thats the only one on my dash that does not light up at start. and which merc garage did the bypass for you?
    The one with the engine block outline? The mod was done by the previous owner at his independent agent. I wasnt impressed with him and used another that our family has used for some time.

I dont recall a seat belt light but will check.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianj View Post
    Thanks for the info, but that wouldnt explain why it wouldnt light up at startup?
    When turning the key from position 0ff to ingition your whole instrument cluster is supposed to light up. If some of your lights like the Engine check light doesnt light up it means its blown or removed.

As for the CATS being removed, merc reprogrammed the ECU so that it ignores the missing CATS now. No Lambda foolers is installed. The original 4 lambda sensors is still fitted.

Good stuff Ne3M!

Yes, the light must still come on when you turn the key!

Good news about the simple reprogram
    SWAMBO
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

had a look yesterday, my check engine light and seat belt lights neither light up on start.

Here is the info to remove instrument cluster and to check the lights.

NOTE: It is NOT neccesary to remove the steering wheel, its just removed in the pictures for clarity. If you feel uneasy doing it yourself take it to your local dealer.

The lights from your MB dealer is about R2 or R3 each.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast