ARB fridge - owners feedback - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I missed the Outdoor warehouse special on the National Luna but I find cheaper the ARB. If it makes cold and is reliable, that's all I need!

Default 2 x 40l

I also like the ARB and was very close to buying it last year BUT decided on 2 x snowmaster 40l ... at the time ARB was R7500 + R8000 already and the 2 40l was R10,000 from ENGEL ....

on short trip use 1 and long trip or you can have fridge + freezer and actually pack and pick them up not like the 80l ones which breaks your back

BUT - I must still say if I did not have 3 kids and needed more "cold" space the ARB would be top of my list...

Nico
    '91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco
    '05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

Hi all,
    I'm tagging along on this one as I am also considdering a 2nd fridge for our Namibia trip later this year. Does anybody have those fridges which run on gas, 12v and 240 volt? Something like the old caravan fridges. Looking at the power consumption of 2 units maybe gas is a good alternative, or is this rubbish? I looked for one but cannot find a supplier either. Has anybody got comments on this or where one can find these in CT.

Default petrolhead

I'm back from the Richtersveld, and the ARB fridge/freezer performed very well indeed, keeping in mind that it is only eight months old now. The 'fears' expressed by some are justified re parts availability/4x4 Mega being the only agent in SA etc etc, and I will cross that bridge when I get there.
    PierredeW is incorrect in saying that it is made of plastic like the Waeco. The internal cabinet is manufactured of sinc coated steel, and the outside is injection moulded plastic. The recessed handles (steel) was tied down with an Outback bracket that fits over the handles and I used the galvanised turnbuckles (supplied with the Outback clamp) to secure it to the load bed of the Hilux via an aluminium strip and tie-down eyelets. I did just under 3000km's on the trip, and ± 80% was on gravel on the way south, and it was surprising how much the turnbuckles had to be tightened to ensure stability. This was fortunately no problem as the buckles could be tightened fairly severely without any damage to the handles.
    As mentioned it ran of a second battery (80A/h). I have limited electrical knowledge (can fix a kettle at home) so I cannot tell you what the power draw was, but I did monitor the temps in the canopy. It ranged from 38°C during the day to a minimum of 16°C at night, and the fridge was set at -8°C. This ensured that the frozen stuff remained frozen, and that the beer was teeth-chillingly cold. The longest time period that the fridge ran off the 2nd battery was from 14h00 one afternoon to 09h00 the next morning, and we also inflated the matress and ran an ouside light of the plugs in the load body. How badly this depleted the deep cycle I don't know, but there was absolutely no hiccup with the unit.
    I get the impression that people new to the 4x4 industry will buy the ARB. The 'ou manne' will remain loyal to brands that have served them well in the past. I drive a Hilux, and reliability and a positive personal history was the deciding factor for me. The ARB was/is brand new on the scene, I liked the looks, recessed panel/handles etc etc, and decided to go for it. I drive a 'boring' but excellent vehicle, might as well take a calculated risk with something else

Thanks for the feedback petrolhead - much appreciated.

I also drive a boring dependable Hilux but have absolutely no brand loyalty to a fridge at this stage having never owned one. I have looked at all the others, but I keep coming back to the ARB.

Glad to hear that it preformed well and that you are happy with it.

Will be making a purchase at 4x4 Megaworld soon.

I bought a 40L Kellermann (= Snomaster). Cheapest, reasonably well made, works fine. Had it in the house for half a year, and noticed it comes 'ON' very frequently i.e it consumes a lot of electricity.
    This fact was displayed even further when I took it camping in December, to Moz. I also had bought the ARB at that time, and the two performed well.... but the ARB did so when OFF most of the time, but not the Kellermann.
    I ran them off a 2nd battery, and the various alarms (low battery) came on at night / early morning. I know for a fact this was the 'Cheapie' chowing the juice, not the Ozzi.
    I sold the Kellermann upon my return, and will buy a second ARB when I need a second fridge/freezer. The ARB is very well insulated (never mind the claims from other manufacturers), the motor's On for short bursts, and in all it takes little electricity to keep the lot cold, which I've tried: after 24 hrs running of that same battery the alarm does not come on.
    Prefer whatever brand you like, pay ditto, but consider what's important to you - and power-consumption is that for me.

funny how us in the U.S. want to get ahold of National Lunas ?

I have a arb 45 the older model before the plastics
    the one I have is basically a Engel the newer ones that are plastic some are liking better over the previous model with the upfront controls and such

check out this for info that might help some
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=30860

I can say I have had good luck and the ARB are also very popular in the U.S.

I also have a 60L norcold which is the same as a engel in our trailer and have had no issues with it ?

seems to boil down to the compressors and people like one over the other ?

Default Re: ARB fridge - owners feedback

11years later, my ARB fridge is giving me some problems. I never did any maintenance but it seems the it still cools down but the temperature outside stays in the 20s

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sed For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3