ARB fridge - owners feedback - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    RogerT Guest

The question for me is always "if it breaks can they fix it" ...heard to many stories of guys with engel frideges who had to wait months for 4x4 mega to import spares from Aus.....is there local support and parts availible??

That's the beauty of NL. It's a South African product and you can drive to their HQ in JHB if you want to.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

I own an ARB fridge, for months now. Have not used it for days on end yet but have used it for a day or so. It is a very practical, well thought out product. I like the way the top can come off (very easy), I like the light inside it and the small fridge compartment. Also the user interface for me is dead easy to use. Make no mistake it is a strong freezer, i had stuff in it that was not fronzen and got frozen in a short time. It is a very practical product, like the drain plug at the bottom that you can use to drain water out of it when you have cleaned it and the strong sturdy handles that you can use to secure it.
    The way we use it also put a lot of stress on it i.e. open and close all the time. I use it in the Range Rover and the Defender, on bad or good roads with no problems. It always goes with on out rides, I have a dual battery system on the Landy and single battery on the Range Rover, but the ARB has an inbuilt battery monitor that can have its sensitivity set and switch off when a threshold is reached. The plastic is also very strong and easy to clean.
    I must say, I was in the market for a fridge/freezer for a while (looking at all the options available) and when we got the ARB it was at the launch price. I have not looked back ever. I think ARB did make sure of their stuff before releasing it on the market.
    I do not think you will make a mistake by getting an ARB.

Hi Kykdaar

I would recommend the National Luna IMO best fridge around and best of all its SOUTH AFRICAN ...lets support our own! Service available easily ...Peter at NL in Edenvale is a great guy and always willing to help....theyre tough as hell and very well insulated...IMO worth spending a few more hundred bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by wildhunter View Post
    ..IMO worth spending a few more hundred bucks!
    few more thousand you mean!
    Training: 4x4, bushmechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.

[email protected]
    +27824453301

where do you shop Engel?
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Ek kan nie op die ARB komentaar lewer nie maar het 2 80l Snowmaster/Kellerman kaste een is so +-4jaar oud en die ander +-2 jaar een is in die wa se neeskas en een in die landy en ek het nog geen probleme gehaad nie altyd koue bier en SWAMBO is ook bly want sy kan die vleis gefries hou en die slaai ongefries my 2c

I will only buy N/L or Engel in SA. No experience of the ARB but has a 50L Waeco that has broken 3 times already when mounted back to back with a 52L N/L Weekender. The ARB being plastic and imported only by 4x4 Megaworld while you can get N/L from SA in stainless or aluminium is an easy choice in my eyes. The 50 and 52 Weekenders are very good value for money and compact, you now also get them with a S/S exterior and cheaper than the N/L 40L. The 40 however has better insulation, I am in the process of buying a 40L Stainless which I will use as a freezer and the 52 as a fridge. The Waeco will leave me soon, don't keep stuff that is not reliable. I also own a 60L Minus 40 which is very robust and with the best insulation of all but it is heavy and bulky so it serves duty at home as an extra freezer most of the time.

In Aluminium, Vat incl.
    40lt Fridge/freezer (1 x basket) 8,200.00
    50lt Fridge/freezer Weekender (optional basket) 7,950.00
    52lt Fridge/freezer Weekender (1 x basket) 7,950.00

S/S
    40lt Fridge/freezer (3 x baskets) 9,750.00
    50lt Fridge/freezer Weekender (optional basket) 8,950.00
    52lt Fridge/freezer Weekender (1 x basket) 8,950.00
    Last edited by PierredW; 2010/04/12 at 07:43 AM.

The ARB might replace the Engel as the number 2 fridge in the future. But why do you want to go for second place ? Get yourself a NL, it is the first prize!

NL = Toyota
    Engel = Land Rover
    ARB = Amarok
    Waeco = Jeep

snomaster-datsun cheap, no fuss and outperforms toyotas, landys, vw en jeeps en kos helfte die prys. Stefan , ek is n distributer en daai 60 twin is amazing!
    Training: 4x4, bushmechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.

[email protected]
    +27824453301

Default ARB fridge

I realize that you have done your research and made a provisional choice. When I bought my freezer recently I was guided mainly by 3 factors : quality, price, capacity. I found the best choice to be the Snomaster. It is made of stailess steel, strong springloaded handles, built in light , 66w compressor with a 3 year warranty. It is also far cheaper than the others. It also comes with a monitor that you plug into your cig.lighter which shows the temperature in the fridge and power in the battery.On a 2 week trip to the Kalahari you may find 40 litres to small once you start packing meat etc into it. I paid R6400 for mine at GC Caravans in Witbank - 013 6975121. (They give exellent service) or phone Warren at Snomaster-011 4543338 .Good luck

Meeste yskaste soos die meeste 4x4 is deesdae baie goed ook die Datsuns ! Moenie te groot koop nie. Afsonderlike yskas vrieskas gedeelte is baie handig. Kyk na die krag verbruik dit is ook baie belangrik

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    snomaster-datsun cheap, no fuss and outperforms toyotas, landys, vw en jeeps en kos helfte die prys. Stefan , ek is n distributer en daai 60 twin is amazing!
    Wel as jy met Datsun kwaliteit soos 'n diff in die middel van die agteras en die ander een heeltemal off centre op die kroonprins Patrol tevrede is glo ek hierdie Chinese modelle is reg vir jou. As jy kwaliteit wat enige iets weerstaan soos Voetspore se Cruisers en die LA Sport vrieskaste wat deur N/L gemaak word glo ek jy sal ophou om "penny wise en pound foolish" te wees en 'n kwaliteit produk koop. Selfs Voetspore het oorgeslaan na voertuie wat die druk kan weerstaan toe hulle 'n regtig rowwe roete deur Afrika gedoen het. Al wat op die Cruisers gebreek het was Australiese TJM vere en Amerikaanse BFG bande. Vrieskaste het al die pad gehou wat genoeg bewys behoort te wees.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2010/04/12 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Haai Herman het die naweek gekyk na 'n Snomaster by New World (dink dis 40l R6199) sal waardeer as jy vir my pryse kan PM.
    Thanks

One thing I miss in all the replies is something of importance;

Each and every 4x4 enthusiast has a load bay layout which will make one of the mentioned products the ideal one to use. They are all good, but for instance the ARB will not work in my application as I won't be able to easily reach the controls when it is stowed. The Engel again have the huge protruding handles on the side - making it impossible to fit in the space I had. The National Luna had the perfect dimensions, the controls are where I want them and the handles fold away, so it was the logical choice. I'm sure if I had a different configuration I may just as well have chosen one of the other brands.
    Last edited by WeskusKlong; 2010/04/12 at 02:19 PM.

Isuzu KB300 4x4 D/C
    KTM 1050 Adventure
    BL Boskriek #659

Baie dankie vir al die interessante terugvoer Dit help baie vir n noob soos ek.

Elke ou het verskillende behoeftes en dit is net n kwessie om te besluit wat vir jou die beste sal werk. Die punt wat Weskusklong maak is baie geldig. Byvoorbeeld, ek het my belangsteeling in die baie nice Oztent laat vaar - nie agv van die prys nie maar bloot agv die feit dat die RV4 nie groot genoeg is nie. Die feit dat hy baie maklik opslaan tel vir niks as jy en die familie nie in die bleddie ding kan pas nie.

Ek sal weer bietjie terugstaan en met n oop kop na die dinge kyk. Miskien was ek bietjie oor-krities oor die Luna. Die feit dat hy bo aan die leer is en in SA gemaak word moet n mens ernstig in ag neem.

Ek het altyd PierredW se menings gerespekteer, sy laaste stelling laat my hierdie siening egter heroorweeg

Jammer Engel, ek is 'n NL convert.
    Last edited by Stefan; 2010/04/14 at 12:03 AM.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Ek het altyd PierredW se menings gerespekteer, sy laaste stelling laat my hierdie siening egter heroorweeg
    Jammer Engel, ek is 'n NL convert.
    Ek moet darem vir Engel so nou en dan kap op die Partrol se swakpunte, hy is baie lief om dit met ons Cruisers te doen en veral die moffieknoppies waarmee hulle deesdae uitkom.

Outdoor Warehouse have a special on the National Luna Weekender, which can be a 52l or if you want the one with seperate compartments its a 50l, comes with a free protection jacket (R695 value) for R7995 (as far as I can remember!)
    Not sure if the special is still running though.
    I have a 40l Engel and the NL Weekender, the NL outperforms the Engel in my humble opinion!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast