Clutch Seems to be slipping

Default Clutch Seems to be slipping

Since buying my 4x4, I've noticed the few times I've gone 4x4ing, a burnt clutch type of smell. It only seems to happen when I'm 4x4ing though. In normal 2H, the clutch is fine (although my 2nd and 3rd gear sometimes dont go in smoothly - slight grind to get in).

In 4x4 though, I get the heavy burnt clutch type smell, and on the last Atlantis outing with a few of the guys, I found that I was almost 'losing' power on the dunes.

Foot flat on the petrol, but drove like I'm riding the clutch etc etc.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Anything I can check? Any ways to test what could be at fault?

My 3.3 V6 is currently at about 180k and just over 6 years old now, so I assume it's about time for a new clutch anyway, but I don't wanna spend the money if it could be something else at fault.

Any idea's or ways to test, or places which could test. As I say, it only seems in 4x4 to be an issue, so I'm not sure how a workshop could test it.
    '03 Nissan Hardbody 3.3 V6 4x4 D/C
    Full OME Suspension

Hi. Put in fourth gear, engage handbrake, build revs and release clutch slowly. If it stalls, it should be fine, if the revs continue to build up, chances are good it is slipping. If you are out and about and this does fail on you, pour Coca Cola down the bell housing inspection hatch (if it has one). This heats up and goes gummy, will get you home (C what u are missing by driving a Nissan and not a Land Rover )

D2 V8 220 000km still on first clutch!

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Thanks (I think). I'll give it a go now. My concern at the moment is more the lack of 4x4 capability, as it rides normal in 2H. But I'll test it out shortly and report back.
    Full OME Suspension

...ok. I gave it a go. Build up to about 4000rpm, leave clutch, put foot, and the revs start dropping, till she stalls. Takes about 3 seconds for the revs to drop till stall. By the way, this is exactly the same that happens when I climb a dune in 3rd on 4L. (I would have thought I'd lose grip and just spin... but in 3rd I just lose revs and stall - 1st and 2nd spin when I lose traction.)

So if that's suppose to indicate that my clutch is fine, then what else could it be?

When I bought her, I noticed the same smell when using 4L. The stealer 'had it looked at' and came back saying that the rear brakes were not setup correctly. They said in 4L the brakes are automatically closed a bit, which is too improve their use in 4L. They said the brakes were actually making contact during 4L which was causing the smell etc, and had new brakes installed and re-aligned. The smell was gone the next time I took it out for a 4x4 test.

Now, being my first 4x4, he could have easily pulled the wool over my eyes... does what he explained make sense? Or is it complete rubbish? Could it be the brakes again? Or could the clutch still be the culprit?
    Full OME Suspension

Can anyone confirm the brakes story the stealer spun me? I'm starting to think more and more this could be it? My 4x4 experience could be explained by the brakes being slightly applied, which would result in less power hitting the ground from my wheels.
    Full OME Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Elbad View Post
    Can anyone confirm the brakes story the stealer spun me? .
    If it happens again then stop, smell the brakes and get under vehicle to smell the clutch then you will know for sure
    96 Pajero 3.5L V6 LWB + TJM Xtra Gas shocks rear, KONI Heavy Track shocks front, Air Lift Coil Spring rear, bash plate front and Firestone ATX tires. Radio 29MHz GME GX300 - http://www.youtube.com/user/tomaszstochmal

I plan on, unfortunately, it only happens when I'm in 4L. So I'll have to wait for the weekend or later. Another thing that a colleague mentioned is to service my front and rear diff, and the transfer case.

Is this something a novice can do easily, or should I rather take it in? I'm looking for any threads / workshop manual which may explain this
    Full OME Suspension

OK. I've managed to confirm it's my clutch.... by destroying the clutch in Atlantis Dunes. Special thanks to the guys who helped out there and went out of their way to help.

So, some questions now.
    1. I got towed all the way back to northern suburbs, and I just realized this morning, I'm not sure if 4wd was disengaged. I put it in 2H, but never did the 1m reverse thing. I was pulled the whole route in neutral, and wanted to know if theres any chance I would have windup and damaged more than the clutch?

2. Any recommended places for a clutch replacement, besides the stealers?

3. Any idea on the costs of a clutch replacement? The guys who helped out mentioned around R8,000 - thats a lot more than the R2,500 I paid on a platkar 3 years ago...

Any help or comments would be appreciated - this is my daily drive, so I need to sort it ASAP...
    Full OME Suspension

Your drive train should be fine.

Try somebody like CBS.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

mmm, closest CBS is Worcester... thats a long tow.

edit: OK. Quotes thus far:

R4,300 for the clutch kit from Nissan themselves.
    R1,800 for labor from a clutch place in bellville.
    2nd edit : R899 for a pirate clutch kit from SA-Autoparts.

Seem right? Should I try to get pirate parts? Or will it come back to bite if I don't get proper Nissan clutch?
    Last edited by Elbad; 2010/04/26 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Quotes
    Full OME Suspension

Based on the responses I've decided to go with a Clutch and Brake place in Milnerton. Just under R3,800 for a REPCO replacement, labor, parts and VAT included.
    I'm hoping this will last at least 100,000kms. And give me some 4x4 performance.
    Full OME Suspension

There is a company in Montague gardens called West coast clutch and brake. I have only had good experiences there. Been there a few times for brake issues.

Will be there again soon
    2005 Nissan H\B 4x4 D\C TD - 32" duelers, 5 door alu canopy, 29 MHz
    2006 XTrail 2.5 4x4 - moms taxi
    2001 Yamaha WR 400