what mileage is too high on second hand buy

willoost Guest

Default what mileage is too high on second hand buy

hi there

i would like to get into 4x4ing. currently riding africa twin 750. looking to buy small 2nd hand 4x4. only restraint= money. been looking at a daihatsu rocky 2.8TD 2000 model, with 207 000km on the clock. seller wants 64 000. some people say this is too high mileage and will only be buying problems. other cars i'm considering is suzuki jimney and vitara. what mileage is too high on these types of cars? what should worry me when buying a second hand car of this class? any advise appreciated.
    thanks
    will

Quote Originally Posted by willoost View Post
    hi there

i would like to get into 4x4ing. currently riding africa twin 750. looking to buy small 2nd hand 4x4. only restraint= money. been looking at a daihatsu rocky 2.8TD 2000 model, with 207 000km on the clock. seller wants 64 000. some people say this is too high mileage and will only be buying problems. other cars i'm considering is suzuki jimney and vitara. what mileage is too high on these types of cars? what should worry me when buying a second hand car of this class? any advise appreciated.
    thanks
    will
    Look at the classified vehicles for sale section of this web site - a good selection of 4x4's for sale and at least you will be able to talk to the owner directly about the vehicle. From my experience, if you budget can extend to 100 - 130, the 98/99 Prado 3.4 v6 is an excellent buy - the engine is industructable, and it's a good all round off road choice.
    Tim
    98 Prado 3D, OME,RR,RTT,Drawers

Quote Originally Posted by willoost View Post
    hi there

thanks
    will
    HI , Maybe i'm a bit biased here , but for that price you (+-R70k) you should be able to get a reasonable Discovery . And you are right about the milage on that Rocky , a bit high ?

If budget is a restraint - buy a "japanese" bakkie sc or dc, preferably a petrol.

Cheap to maintain and pirate parts are readily available. If the engine need attention it will be much less than a diesel.

Take your time and the right vehicle will come about.

For instance: I have a 2002 Mazda 2.5 diesel 4x4 bakkie with only 145000kms on the clock. If I want to sell it today, I will most probably only get about R90k for it - if I am that lucky. Now, that is the type of thing you should look at. I am just not that onnosel to sell it now!

Stay away from anything that used to be "flash" in it's heydays. Usually expensive to maintain.

Enjoy the shopping
    Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2010/04/02 at 09:41 AM.