For what are one paying R2900 for this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let me know when you find out - it's one of life's great mysteries, like where did that extra sock come from, or why don't I ever have change for parking meters.

and here i was expecting a 100km round trip for that type of cash.. maybe going for the exclusively rich..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

I'm not sure what the problem is or maybe I don't understand the the question properly.

A 3 day, easy as it goes, guided trail, through an unblemished natural area, camping in non-public areas, with minimal people around, without major infrastucture etc, for R2950 for 4 people and the money goes back into conservation?

Quote Originally Posted by DougN View Post
    A 3 day, easy as it goes, guided trail, through an unblemished natural area, camping in non-public areas, with minimal people around, without major infrastucture etc, for R2950 for 4 people and the money goes back into conservation?
    Sorry new to this, Isn't above mentioned mostly free in places like Namibia?
    So the price is paid for the privilege then?

R2950 for 4 people and the money goes back into conservation?
    What then is the "excludes conservation fees" - and how much is added to the bill for those?
    Michelle
    ----------------
    1976 Series III Land Rover - "Olivia"
    V8 Defender - "The Beast"
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland - "Aggrobitch"
    Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider - when allowed to
    Assortment of Nissan bakkies, an NV200 and one Renault Trafic - because variety
    2006 Harley Sportster 883 - "Hoglette"
    2017 BMW F800

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Sorry new to this, Isn't above mentioned mostly free in places like Namibia?
    So the price is paid for the privilege then?
    I think you are missing something, firstly, a guided trail is never free, not anywhere, secondly, in this case you are going into areas and camps that the general public aren't allowed.

Also it's way time that our parks & reserves started actively marketing eco-tourism and charging proper prices, at Kgaswane it cost me less than R100 for a two night camp over, how can they ever earn enough to put something back.

I just had a thought though, maybe I just "got" the original question, it's not about the money per se, it's about not being able to do your own thing out in the bush, so maybe NOW & the driver competency certificates are a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by seekingserenity View Post
    What then is the "excludes conservation fees" - and how much is added to the bill for those?
    One quick call...

R22 per day per person as park fees and if you have a Wild Card, that covers it.

Doug, any way you look at it, it's a huge chunk of cash. Yes, the exclusivity is an added bonus, and giving something back to 'conservation' is noble, but it's a huge chunk of cash. I'd love to do thi particular trail, but geewizz, I can feed a lot of people with that kind of money.

It makes sense for a family of 4, then it is only R250 a day and that is a good price.. but will I get discount as I can only take 2 people at a time in my bakkie or will it be seen as another vehicle and therefor full price..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Oh please... a huge chunk of cash Assuming a family of four that's under R500pp for 3 days/2 nights, therefore R250 pppn, for a guided trail!!

Thats peanuts...

Have you done guided 4x4 trails in Namibia? You can pay 5 times that!
    Last edited by SimonB; 2010/03/30 at 10:17 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Looks like Easter can't come too quickly some people need a break. Why are we so agressive.

Basically this is an exclusive offer and seems reasonable given the other prices one pays in the Kruger for accomodation.

My advice is to make sure you take people with who you know and with whom you can get along with. There is always one "vrot apple in the basket who manages to spoil trips like these"

I know of some people who have been disappointed and said that the trail was mild and the company bad.

But like everything in life its what you make of it and how well you do your homework beforehand.

Any opportunity to get in the bush and do some 4x4 is a bargain.
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Yeah, goodness knows what's going on nowadays. Just in case, I'm sitting on my hands ... but not the whole hand, just one finger.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Oh please... a huge chunk of cash Assuming a family of four that's under R500pp for 3 days/2 nights, therefore R250 pppn, for a guided trail!!

Thats peanuts...

Have you done guided 4x4 trails in Namibia? You can pay 5 times that!

Hallo Simon
    Totally agree with you, compared to what LOCALS pay in neighbouring countries this is still CHEAP.
    For a guide trail, I'll pay that with a smile
    " IF THE GIANT BEASTS ARE GONE, MAN WILL SURELY DIE FROM A GREAT LONLINESS OF SPIRIT "

1996 3.0L SANI "EXECUTIVE" S/W
    CAMIL SUSPENSION
    3O/9.5/15 BF GOODRICH A/T
    WILCAT BRANCHES
    REAR SUPER LEAF-SPRINGS
    PORTABLE NL DUAL-BATTERY POWER PACK

Default Marakele Trail

This is a commercial venture and SANPARKS are yet again trying to promote their trails.

Marakele is not ultimately a public reserve due to the terrain and inaccessability. This is a set of old management roads which can be interesting and does have some good scenery. Ultimately is is about getting out and about with a guide who know the reserve and can interprete the various bioms.

This reserve has been a thorn in SANPARKS side as the campsites and flat sections are either not on the main reserve or else are on Marakele Ltd which although in the reserve is purely a concession section of the reserve with lodges. The rest of the reserve surround is in private ownership such as Welgefonden and when the eventual disease control and land issues are resolved the greater reserve will cover 120 000 ha. It is also a vulture stronghold. Effectively this reserve is a loss leader for SANPARKS and is retained as a park of biodiversity significance

Gone are the days where you will get any trail guided or not on private property FOC.

Recently we took two days to go from Jhb to Munster on the South Coast via Weppenaar and Rhodes, there was a light 4x4 trip that was beautiful in scenery, great on history and was on so called gravel national roads through a few passes and along the lesotho / transkei / eastern cape border.................. that was FOC but unguided.....well we were using ye olde map book so i guess you can say guided!

I'm not sure what the problem is or maybe I don't understand the the question properly.

at around $40 per person per day it is acceptable for overseas visitors.
    they are however relying on income from Americans and killing off the local tourism.
    sure it is for a good cause but surely it puts it out of reach of many.
    i've been told that there are camps in Botswana charging out at up to $900 per night for sleeping under the stars. even the Yanks will get scared away.
    it gives new meaning to the phrase "making a quick buck"
    i'm in the wrong business. "have own vehicle, have GPS. will guide for R 75 000 per month."
    just employ a local that knows the area. will add to the flavour of ethnicity. pay him R 5000 per month like the locals do.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Thats R14,750 per trip, off 5 vehicles. Sheesh, 4x4ing is way more expensive than I thought...

Whether it's 'acceptable' or not, I'd rather treat my family to sun city at that price (sure it won't be the palace).
    '03 Nissan Hardbody 3.3 V6 4x4 D/C
    Full OME Suspension

It is a sad day in my life since I have to point out that it seems that all 4x4 owners are rich according to most people in conservation or related fields and can be ripped off.
    If the park officials sitting in hotels far away earning big bucks why should the price reflect their next increase in salary?
    Bet you that very little of the big fees goes to actual conservation, oh maybe new Range Rover or 4x4 for some official.
    National parks are part of government via tax money funded organisations last time I checked.

4x4 exclusivity.....Snobs. Don't be put off by such rubbish. There is still a lot of fun to be had at no cost or at very reasonable prices.
    Who needs a guided tour to Namibia or Zambia at R15 000 plus if you can do it without "BIG BROTHER" taking all the fun out of it?
    Most of the fun is in the planning and in doing it without the help of the so called "PRO's".

its no fun being dictated to, having your life arranged on your behalf, stopping when everyone is stopping and driving in convoy with a bunch of Avis rentals.
    takes away the sense of adventure.
    2 - 3 vehicles. no more.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast