Freeflyd's Cape Town to Cornwall Trip Thread

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Freeflyd's Cape Town to Cornwall Trip Thread

I hope this the right place to start this...

8 Days to go and after more than a year of planning, we are ready to leave on our massive adventure!

My Wife, Catt and I are leaving Pretoria next Thursday. We plan to go west to the Richtersvelt, South through the Cederberg, take the obligatory photo at Agullas, explore the mountain passes of the eastern Cape and then head off north!

The countries we will visit will be Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia and then into Europe.

We have a really nicely kitted out 80 series 4.2D GX and will talk about our equipment and processes more on our website.

For those who are interested, I'll use this thread to update on our progress and to let you know when we have updated our website: www.pictureafrica.org

Good luck, en geniet dit!!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will follow thread on a daily basis -- so please update frequently !
    Gerhard.
    4-tuner.

Pity......I was going to post a thread tomorrow, a week from the off.

Let me be the first (edit, OK third) to wish you good luck on this trip, Dawie. You are going to have the most wonderful time of your life, and I hope that I can either catch up with you en-route, or once you have finally arrived in the UK.

When I say, "I wish you good luck......", let me adjust that a bit. I hope you have just enough stuff go wrong as to give you a good story or two to tell afterwards. As you are going in a Toyota, it is unlikely that anything much will go wrong with your vehicle, so maybe an Ethiopian official will run off with your passport, or you'll have a close encounter with a buffalo that leaves a permanent scar on the car. Anything like that will do.

We must try and do a UK GTG when you arrive........OK, it might just be the 4 of us in a pub! You've told me you are allowing up to a year for this trip, including a few months diving in the Med., and I think that this is the proper speed for exploring Africa.

Anyway, all the best Dawie and Catt........and I am very jealous.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeAG; 2010/03/23 at 10:22 AM.
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

ENJOY!!

i'll follow your website closely.....what a fantastic trip you are doing what so many only talk of
    Everest 2.2 XLS 4x4
    Invader Quattro

All the best, I am sure you will have many many magnificent experiences that we can envy you for.
    4x4 less.

Sounds great enjoy and good luck!
    Mazda BT 50
    2013 auto 3.2 4x4
    (aka Mazdarati)
    Towing our moblie home
    Imagine Comfortvan

Don't get confused between my personality & attitude. My Personality is who I AM, my attitude depends on who YOU are!!!

Have a blast...

2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 Tdci XLT DC Auto
    2007 Daihatsu Terios ​Sold
    2015 Ford Ranger DC XLS Sold
    2013 Land Rover Defender Pickup 90 LE - Savannah - Sold
    2007 Land Rover Defender Puma SW90 - Brutus - Sold

Dawie,

just as an aside, which is the best way of getting a message to you when you are on the road? Is it a posting here, on your web-site/ blog, or via email?

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

Hi Dawie,

So it's a week and a day to go, I know I'd be over the moon to say the least! All the planning, researching, training expeditions, trip reports and kitting of your vehicle now actually has even more meaning.

This is something I will do in the near future too and all I can do is wish you two well on your journey, I'll be keeping a close eye on your website to see how you are progressing!

We may just meet up on one of our 'training expeditions' later in the year...

All the best and good luck!
    Mike
    Mike

Thanks to:
    M&P Fabworx
    Zone Offroad

TJ Evolution - Jeep Builds - Overland Blog

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what its wants!"

Hey Dawie and Catt,

Don't forget there's a spare bed, lockup garage, braai and cold drink of your choice in Cape Town. You've got my number (in case you've lost it oh eight four 5766 oh eight six) and I owe you a slide show. Hit the road, jacks. Safari njema, shauri ya Mungu.

Tony

Thanks for the wishes guys!

Tony, we'll most definitly come bug you in Cape Town! I'll give you a call when I have a definit date, but it'll be around mid April. I'm sure we would appreciate a bed and a washing machine by then.

Mike, email is the easiest to keep in contact.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyd View Post
    Tony, we'll most definitly come bug you in Cape Town!.........but it'll be around mid April. I'm sure we would appreciate a bed and a washing machine by then.
    You big wooss! A fortnight into the trip and you're already looking for a bed?!!!

Mike

Hey, you take them when you can get them! Especially from someone with that experience and especialy when its free!!!!!!

Next bed after that would be Mukambi...

BTW, Zim parks is honoring our Mana booking and payment. YAH!!!!
    Last edited by freeflyd; 2010/03/23 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyd View Post
    Especially from someone with that experience and especialy when its free!!!!!!
    Fair point!........so, sleep on his lawn on a roll mat.

You could probably sell tickets for that evening, especially if Tony is going to get his slides out. I'd love to be there for that show.

Good news about Mana.......we'll see what happens. Oh, & BTW, Mukambi now has some camping spots..........so you've no excuse for sleeping in a bed there, either! The camping is right where the lions walked through every night we were there.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeAG; 2010/03/23 at 07:09 PM.

Hey Dawie and Catt,

Here's to a great adventure!!

I'll keep checking your site as well for updates.

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

Brooke

Dawie Ican't offer you tonys' experience but I can offer you a stay in our beautiful Overberg village nestled up against the mountains .After I built our cobb house I built a self contained cobb cottage (basically a Mud house ,so you can get the feel of things to come) if you can take the barracking from other members and fancy a soft bed call in (082 406 8009) you'd be more than welcome, and if you can put up with all the Landies in our village.We're 20 minutes from caledon. LES p.s if not all the best with your trip.

Dawie is off tomorrow!

This time tomorrow he will be on the road. Excitement levels must be astronomical at the moment!!!!

So Dawie & Catt..........have a fantastic time, stay in touch and see you up here in a year or so!

Mike

All the best to yourselves , i have been following your blog for a while . The info you have aggregated about the various aspects of overland travel and the countries has been very interesting , and definitely a resource we'll be using in our future plans .

Travel safe , have fun , and enjoy . Keep us posted .

Dawie , we have family in the Western Serengeti , and their operation has many people flying between SA and DAR/Arusha/Kili , almost weekly . I often source parts/spares for them . If there's any way i could help at some stage . PM me .

Cheers .

week one updated on the website blog!

www.pictureafrica.org

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast