Baboons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baboons

Default Baboons

Any feed back on the problem they had there. Henri !! where are you boet. ??

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Only up now any news? Hope all is ok?
    "Ability is what gives you the opportunity belief is what gets you there"

David Maritz
    Triton - Barberian!

I am a bit concerned about this one.
    Last edited by OFFROAD ADDICT; 2010/03/22 at 09:43 PM.

ORA
    Ian

Die ouens is almal okay. Die een kon BAIE lelik gewees het...
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Stem saam met jou daar Sakkie - bly almal is OK
    altyd sleg om skade aan 'n voertuig te sien, maar dinge gebeur...
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

What happened ? Hope every one is okay .

FROM LCCSA:

Hello everyone, this is not a trip report that still has to come.

Got home late last night and quickly want to give some feedback. We had an amazing trip that I believe will remain in everyone’s minds for a long time.

1st things 1st. Thanks to everyone who made the weekend so amazing.

It’s been said before and I will say it again. Baboons is not just a physical mountain you climb but a psychological one too. One experiences the amazing scenery while trying to conquer in my opinion one of the most challenging trails in southern Africa. This is not possible on ones own and you need friends that you can trust. Here Milton and CM as group leaders were invaluable and Wade and Paul as rock jocky’s / guides irreplaceable. More thanks and acknowledgments to follow in the trip report.

We had 12 vehicles that started on the pass on Saturday and all completed the trip (some more battle scared than others). Everyone will keep a small reminder even if it’s only the Baboons 2010 sticker.

Unfortunately I have to report that we had an incident on route about 14km from the start. I would like to state the facts of what happened.

For those of you that know the route it happened on the contour trail after the school
    According to Google Earth about 29.42.30.42S 27.54.29.30E.
    We had some rain during the day and due to some unforeseen delays we only got to our planned camping spot just before dark. About 200m from the camp site the following happened:
    1) Jaco van Heerden was traveling #9 in the convoy of 11 cruisers. I was traveling close behind him as #10 and saw it all unfold.
    2) We had been traveling on the contour road for the last 30min and our speedos’ hardly lifted as we were moving at crawling speed.
    3) On a raised section with a 1m high embankment on the left, the road surface broke away as he passed, causing the 105’s LR wheel to slip off the road. He tried to correct but the road surface broke below his LF wheel too moments later.
    4) This resulted in the 105 slipping down the 1m embankment LR first. The LR debeaded and folder in under the cruiser. At this point all was lost.
    5) The front slipped off and the cruiser toppled over onto its Left side. Then rolled mostly on its nose and roof and landed back on its wheels. All in slow motion.
    6) This was an almost stationary rollover.

Fortunately the cruiser only rolled over once and landed on a level surface as it stopped about 30m from a steep slop that fell about 200m.

Jaco and his brother climbed out of the car with only minor scratches and bruises.

All the members of the group came to Jaco’s aid. The wheel was replaced. The 105 started 1st time and drove out to the camp site on its own steam. A damage assessment was done and the decision made to remove the scattered windscreen. The 105 completed the whole Baboons pass on own steam. From the top of Baboons pass we continued to the falls and then back to Ramabanta.

On Jaco’s insurance helpdesk advice we drove the 105 to the Peka bridge boarder post yesterday morning were Oom Jan had arranged for Henri’s trailer to be taken from Bethlehem. The 105 was driven through hale, sleet and rain without windscreen. When we got to the trailer the decision was made to push through another 14km to CM Kotze and not make use of the trailer. It was hoped that Ficksburg had an open hardware shop to “create” a windscreen. None was to be found due to the public holiday. Jaco’s insurance broker was phoned again and a flatbed was arranged within an hour. The helpdesk info was incorrect, we should have left the 105 in Ramabanta as he is covered for cross boarder recoveries by Tuffstuff!

It is impossible to thank everyone as ALL helped out but special thanks needs to be given too:
    1) Henri who offered to load the 105 on his trailer and take it back to Pretoria for Jaco.
    2) Oom Jan who arranged for the trailer to be delivered to from Bethlehem, About 250km round trip.
    3) Brad who gave the two brothers a lift home while the 105 on the truck.
    4) Everyone that traveled together to make sure the fallen cruiser made it home
    5) CM for opening his house (Lovely warm coffee) and car-port to stop over and re-strategize. Ultimately prepare the 105 for transport..
    6) Jakes for his duck-tape that I’m sure was at the bottom of the trailer.

Jaco and his brother Christo made it home just after 20:00 and the 105 was delivered at 22:00.

This was a very unfortunate incident but yet again it was proof of what an amazing club this is and what camaraderie Baboons creates.

Jaco and Christo glad you are home safely.
    Christo Davids

Ja nee dis nie 'n lekker ene as jy skade op jou voertuig kry nie. Dis hoekom gaan ry jy saam ander wat sal help!

Baie goed gedoen aan almal dis nie maklik nie en ek dink sover is myself, Sakkie, Wade, AndreN en Henris wat al daar op en deur die pas is wat ek van weet en dis nie grappies nie! Met die reen saam raak dit super glad en baie ekstreem en is nie maklik om te ry nie.

Well done!
    "Ability is what gives you the opportunity belief is what gets you there"

David Maritz
    Triton - Barberian!

Die twee fotos in Baboons geneem 3 jaar gelede....dit was NIE grappies nie. Baboon's kan op enige dag ERG verskil van die vorige dag. Ek het al baie manne hoor vertel "ons het Baboon's gedoen, en dit was 'n walk in the park!!".....Jip, tot jy hom verkeerd vang...

Pragtige Sonsondergang....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BaboonSunset.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	55318

Halfuur later in die middel van 'n donderstorm...met nog VER om te gaan...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightning.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	55319
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Ek is bly om te sien dat die manne wat in die ongeluk was, OK is!!

Ek sit en beskou die video van die Cruiser met die karavaan en die "lead vehicle" Landy daar teen Baboons en ek wonder by myself......hoe kry 'n mens dit oor jou hart om 'n voertuig so te verniel en ook wat het regtig agter die skerms daarna gebeur....het verstaan dat daar grootskaalse ongelukkigheid onder die voertuig vervaardigers was....
    George Brittnell
    "Pray Until Success Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    I am a bit concerned about this one.
    jip. ek sit op my hande
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    jip. ek sit op my hande
    Jy is nie alleen nie.

kyk ook nou die video.....hak sommer die kinetic tou om die towbar...? en hulle is almal 4x4 Guru's
    Everest 2.2 XLS 4x4
    Invader Quattro

Wink

Henri. posted some great pic of the cruisers articulating up the pass on Cruiser forum and page 35 disappeared of the site for some reason.
    So i am thinking Huh !!! gagged

ORA
    Ian

Henri, kan jy nie die foto,s ook hier plaas nie asb ?
    Gerhard.
    4-tuner.

I returned the weekend from the pass,my 80 series did well and all the guys from the Cruiser Club were stars ,the best trip I have done in a long time,

Hoekom sit almal op hulle hande?
    Dink julle die manne het iets verkeerd gedoen?
    Word mense veroordeel sonder dat enigeen weet wat werklik gebeur het?

Die ouens het Baboons gaan ry, 'n ongeluk het gebeur (kon enigiemand gewees het), laat hulle self van hulle ondervinding kom praat, dalk kan ons wat alles weet nog iets leer ook...

I get the feeling what happened on Baboons, stays on Baboons and i respect the wishes of the members.

ORA
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    I get the feeling what happened on Baboons, stays on Baboons and i respect the wishes of the members.
    I happen to know the owner of the Cruiser that rolled, he actually sent me a photo to my cellphone via MMS on Sunday evening. It happened exactly as per the report published on the Cruiser forum. Nothing funny, nothing to hide.
    I am not a complete idiot - there are still some parts missing
    Please don't send me a PM without direct contact details
    97 SVM 3000
    86 HiLux D/C

Stem saam met jou kobus, niks verkeerd gedoen nie...
    Klink soos 'n ongelooflikke trip, jammer oor die skade, maar die manne het goed bymekaar gekom en gehelp
    trip report was ook feitlik, niks probeer wegsteek nie - well done en sterkte met die herstelwerk
    Christo Davids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast