Booze into Ponta Malongane

Default Booze into Ponta Malongane

Hi All

Leaving for Southern Moz in a couple of weeks, and will be entering through the Kozi Bay border post. We have 4 nights booked at Parque d'Malongane, just north of Ponta d'Ouro.
    My concern is that we are only allowed to take 12 beers per person across the border. Are there any shops etc so far south for us to buy stuff like beer, or do we have to trek up to Maputo for it?
    Are the border officials very sticky about quantities?

Thanks
    Going bush is going Home
    Mike Lewis

Pajero NS (Gen 4) 3.8 V6... Dual battery, EFS Suspension, Airbags, Safari snorkel & Front Runner rack with extras

It depends on the traffic and mood of officials, normally they don;t mind if it's not a shabeen going through. In do'Ouro and outside the Malogane camp is a number of places you can buy local beer, rum etc from

Just buy 2M and Tipotinto in Moz..

Default Booze into Ponta Malongane

We've been there 3 x times during the past 3 x month period and every time we entered via Kosi Bay..........not once were any of our cars or trailers checked / searched..........so I wouldn't worry too much here although one can never say what might happen and who might be on duty on the day......

But worse case scenario the closest little town (Kosi Bay) is only about 45-min away from Ponta..........so it shouldn't be a problem........

What we've found is that there are sooooooo many little pubs / restaurants around that you tend to consume very little of your stock......we brought lots back......much more than what we anticipated.........

Enjoy.......such a beautiful part of Africa.........just love it there.......

Take care and have fun......life's too short not to.......

George
    2012 Suzuki Jimny.....(Freda's)
    1995 Hilux SFA

Buy local beer in Da Ouro or enjoy a cold one at the pub in Malongane. Plenty informal pubs near the entrance to Malongane so don't take too much of your own stock. Enjoy.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Thanks guys

I guess all these guys accept ZAR?
    Going bush is going Home
    Mike Lewis

Pajero NS (Gen 4) 3.8 V6... Dual battery, EFS Suspension, Airbags, Safari snorkel & Front Runner rack with extras

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    Just buy 2M and Tipotinto in Moz..
    And where exactly is that? Not on t4a
    Going bush is going Home
    Mike Lewis

Pietpompies Guest

I for the life of me cannot understand why anybody would want to take beer to Moz. It is like carrying coals to Newcastle. Drink the local stuff, it is a lot better than South African Beer. Please don't tell me you take wine when you visit the Cape. Taking beer to Moz is the same

I am also going there in June. What is the best route to Kosibay border post from Witbank. Can a person travel throuigh Swaziland? Can you do it in one day? Which of the Pontas is the best du'Ouro or Malogane . Want to go and do some scuba diving. The last time I've dived there was back in 1994. Where to stay?

Thanks

Renier
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.
    Topless Tersia - 96 J-Top SWB 3.0 V6 Pajero. Restoration 99% completed.

Hi Mike,

Just to answer two posts ago:

2M is one of the Local beers
    Tipo Tinto is a local rum that is normally taken with Raspberry as mix.

Enjoy it

Mike, see Mopani's post. Rum and Raspberry is an amazing combination, but bear in mind that the bottles are made from recycled glass and once you've opened it, can't be closed. I suggest you take extra Raspberry (theirs is better than our Sparletta) to make it go down better. The hangover will possibly kill you though, so be sure to have a few people share the same bottle rather than open one each. Makes for less to finish or throw away when you decide it's time to quit.

2M is an amazing beer.

Default Advise on Moz trip please

I am planning to go to Moz in June this year when I come back to SA. What is the best route to Kosibay border post from Witbank? Can a person travel through Swaziland as it looks shorter? Can you do it in one day to Ponta? Which of the Pontas is the best du'Ouro or Malogane . Want to go and do some scuba diving. The last time I've dived there was back in 1994. I think the place has changed since then?

Where to stay?

Thanks

Renier
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.

Mike, Been to Ponta Do Ouro and Ponta Malongane a couple of times. Never experienced a problem taking beer or hard tack through. As per the other posts, drink local. At Malongane there is the pub in the middle of the camping area "Loggerhead Bar" and then there is also the bar at the Malongane Dive camp "Nascer do Sol". Just outside the camp on the road to Ponta do Ouro there are many informal pubs. " Sharks bar" and "Peace's Place aka Bulls Bar". Pay them a visit, Great fun. In Ponta do Ouro there is the famous "Fernando's bar" in the market area. A MUST to visit. In the Dive camp there is also the Bar on the beach. Excellent Cocktails and snacks. In most instances we come home with our own stock. Note all beers are in the region of R15 irrespective where you buy. Bottle or Tipo tinto rum is R35. No need to take Meticai with. Rands are accepted everywhere in the south.
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

Renier, If you are travelling during the day then take the Swazi Route. Roads are Excellent and you miss the roadworks betreen Piet Retief and Pongola. There are some other alternatives skirting around via Vryheid, but have not done this route for a while. I heard pot holes are also abundant. Make a call to the local traffic dept in Pongola to find out about the road works. Daytime travel will see you waiting for at least 1 to 2 hours at the stop go points. We normally do 8 hours with stops from Kempton Park to the border post at Kosi
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

Renier,

There is a very scenic section that one can travel from the N4 if heading through Swaziland (SD). It is not a fast route, but I use it when I want a quiet route and one will hardly ever see a pot-hole. This is a good route if one is stopping over in SD or may want to depart Pta or Witbank Very early.

Follow the N4 East 22 km past Belsfast. Just past Millies and turn off to the right into Machado Dorp (you turn off before the toll-gate) Drive through town following the route to Badplaas. This is the R541. Shortly after leaving town you travel down a long valley with very little traffic.

When you reach the R38 (Barberton-Badplaas), turn right and drive to Badplaas. Before you enter Badplaas, just after the bridge, turn left on the road to Chakastad (R541)

After 20 km there is a turn-off to the right, towards Oshoek border-post. Turn right. Now follows the only bad section, it is a 16 kilometre up-hill section through the country-side where A Ghost in the Darkness was filmed. On top of the hill, left at the T junction. Oshoek border-post is 26 km further. It is open 24 hours a day. and travel. The main road through SD is in good condition, except for the little speed-humps near Mbabane.

Drive straight through SD to Big Bend, turn south and the last refueling point with cheaper SD diesel is some 20 kilometres after Big Bend.

Maybe this is more a tour than a quick transfer route, but I always enjoy it.

Thanks Mopani, this is just what I needed. My 4X4 does not go to well on the freeway, I don't know why hence I am not bothered though.

Ok thanks a lot. will buy when we are there.
    What about food and stuff? I read that basics are available in the area, does that include meat, or should we plan our menu before hand?

Thanks
    Going bush is going Home
    Mike Lewis

We are normally very laze when it gets to making food there. I would a tleast take meat and some fresh veg and fruit , make sure the meat is vacuum packed. You can buy their bread rolls (forgot the name) in Malongane little shop but it normally goes quickly.
    You wont be able to bring back any fruit/veg as Moz has a fruit fly problem and customs will make you turf it at the border.

Plan for breakfast, but for dinner lunch there are a number of places you can eat in do'ouro and you can easily go a couple of days without repeating.

they call the breadrolls PAO and is very nice. buy early in the day other wise you won't get any later on. most of the shops around malongane sells them. there's a butchery in ponta do ouro that's got fresh meat from kosibay. very nice prego steaks and cheap. it is next to the veggie market when you come from kosi bay side before the turn off to malongane.

Koekies Koekemoer Stdton MP
    2004 Kia Sorento 3.5 V6 A/T
    '98 Colt Rodeo DC 4x4 V6 ;tnt branches;cooper STT'sastek Unichip;
    Suzuki LTZ 400 '05
    Craig 27Mhz SSB;
    Kirisun VHF
    ORRA ( B61 )
    ZS6CK

Important to buy pao as early as possible, espacially in winter - AND FROM THE PADARIA. The other sellers on the streets you will find the little children warming their hands under the warm pao's. And I am not joking. Watch out for little children around the pao seller on the street. Apparently the sweat enhances the taste, That's why they are so lekker !!
    1996 Pajero 2.8 TD SWB