9 24.32%
  • Rather Buy a second hand X Trail

5 13.51%
  • Rather a TATA

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Should I buy a Scorpio

I am thinking of buying a Scorpio or else perhaps a second hand Fortunner or X-Trail. The Toyota is out now as my wife's Toyota gave so many problems I got rid of it and will never buy one again.

Any advice would be great.

Try a Ford, gives you alot of pleasure and nothing problems.
    2005 Ford Ranger 4.0 SuperCab

Cobus (Navigator) has one and he is very happy with it
    I have to agree with fordfan though......
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

QUOTE: Originally Posted by blueocean
    I am thinking of buying a Scorpio or else perhaps a second hand Fortunner or X-Trail. The Toyota is out now as my wife's Toyota gave so many problems I got rid of it and will never buy one again.

Any advice would be great. UNQUOTE:

As a delighted owner of the 2.6 GLX 4x4 I can only recommend same, and having driven this week the 2.2 m-hawk engined unit matched to the 6spd autobox...I would say you should definitely test this latest offing. The capabilities of this vehicle are astounding. The only problem when buying new - is lack of inclusive manufacturer service plan. But it is a rugged vehicle, and the new ones pretty sophisticated with all the safety items the motoring journo's originally knocked it for. Folks are astounded at how good these MAHINDRAS really are. They are way ahead of TATA in meeting one's expectations for a good on-off road vehicle. Good luck with your evaluations.

Yes you should buy a Scorpio! For value for money it can't be beaten!
    Mahindra Scorpio Adventure 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4
    Imagine Comfortvan
    Jurgens XCape 2015 (SOLD)
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013(SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by blueocean View Post

Any advice would be great.

If your going to do off-roading dont get a X-Trail, their great but there is a bit of tupperware that's low.
    And between the Fortuner and Scorpio my vote is for the Scorpio.
    Let's just leave it at that
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

2016 Ford Everest 3.2 XLT
    1999 Jurgens Xplorer

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!

You should buy a Scorpio. I am the proud owner of a 4X2 Scorpio 2006 2.6 Diesel that currently have 60000km on the clock. I am very happy with this vehicle. And this is from someone who has been a loyal Isuzu and Mercedes fan!!! The first time I went to see the vehicle, I was sceptical. It just did not add up, the price was good for what you get, maybe too good... I almost turned away from the Scorpio to buy a Pajero. Then this small voice in my head told me to take a chance with the Scorpio. I am so glad I listened to this little voice in my head! I really enjoy my Scorpio. I must say I have heard about some people complaining, about things that happened to their Mahindra's, but that can be attributed to any other brand, I mean, just read all the threads posted by the unhappy Fortuner owners?? Yet Toyota is an established brand.

I must agree with Jerrycan. I also test drove the new 2.2 Mahindra with the 6 speed automatic gearbox. What a joy to drive!! I wish I had the means to buy one, as I won't hesitate 1 second to do so!

So, go out and buy your Scorpio and keep us posted of your experiences!

you can buy a scorpio at R260000 brand new with warranty or on the other side a furtuner second hand (4 to 5 years old ) at 260000 including the previous owner problems; your choice.

stay a way from second hand xtrail unless you prepared to replace a clutch at @ 25000 (2 years ago price) including labour at nissan (ask me)

p.s. proud owner of two mahindras..and happy

From my experience its a YES! My Scorpio is my second Mahindra, I had the Bolero which was a old model, 2005 - and I really abused it, had the following issues that I caused:
    Transmission - after I played around in the mud and recovered the Hilux - breather was to low & got water into the box
    Rear Side Shaft broken - still not sure why this happend - was during the Datsun cup - just broke - but I still drove the Bolero home in 4H

My Scorpio has done almost 20000km - no issues - did a trip to Hondeklipbaai December - did 4500km @ ave 9 km/l - fully loaded
    Then I must add - SWAMBO would rather drive the Scorpio than the Jeep,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mahem fotos (10).JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	54958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2811.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	54959  

Cobus Böhmer
    071-6417947
    [email protected]

I will refer you to the thread on my Scorpio Pikup. I am like a pig in Palestine with both my Mahindras.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=28922
    Herman Müller
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.5 4WD
    2013 Renault Sandero Stepway

Thanks for all the help - I am off next week to test drive the new REFRESH Scorpio. From what you all say it sounds great.

My wife has been on my case to buy a Scorpio for some time. The first one I drove was the new 2.2 m-hawk engine 4x2 model. I must say I was impressed. I drove a 2.6 turbo 4x4 on Saturday and decided that I'm gonna buy it. The only reason I'm going for the old 2.6 and not the new 2.2 is because there is no second hand 2.2's available yet.
    I hope this is not a mistake!!
    Piet: '80 Ford F250 4x4
    Cummins 6BT engine, ZF S5-42 box
    Meraai: Mahindra Scorpio SUV 4x4
    EGR blocked
    Granny steps removed
    Nitro ring & pinion
    Eaton Detroit Locker
    Free flow exhaust

Default 2.6 vs 2.2

Check out the pics of my 2007 2.6 taken this weekend (see Mahindra Pics) and you will not have any regrets....although the matching of the 2.2 to the autobox is some really great engineering. Incidentally I was offered a miserly R85,000 trade-in on my 2.6GLX on Friday, against a new 2.2 m-hawk against a so called trade-in value of R126,000. So what the heck, I am happy with my 2.6 diesel GLX and am sticking with it - as it really is a wonderful vehicle. Pity as Mahindra have lost the chance to increase market share by 1 on new sales.

The trade in is what's bothering me. But on the other hand I've been looking for a second hand 4x4 for a while and they all sell for a good price if you can find them. So the thing to do seems to be to try and sell it out of hand and then buy a new one.
    EGR blocked
    Granny steps removed
    Nitro ring & pinion
    Eaton Detroit Locker
    Free flow exhaust

Hi There

I bought my Xtrail Diesel (2009, New SHape) for 20% Off Retail - Great Deal at the time...still is! Amazing Car...Goes like a train (TGV) and it's very economical. You can get decent demo models. I would stay away from the old Xtrail 2.2 Diesel if i were you. I dont really know the Scorpio to be honest (it sounds good reading the posts)...but its ugly like hell for me...looks tough.
    Last edited by Swys14; 2010/03/23 at 02:28 PM.

What is the availability of aftermarket stuff like roof racks, nudge bars , suspension upgrades etc? I know that Esacpe Gear makes seat covers for them but that is the extent of my knowledge
    EGR blocked
    Granny steps removed
    Nitro ring & pinion
    Eaton Detroit Locker
    Free flow exhaust

Default Scorpio EXTRAS

Re Extras....here is my comment on another thread...

I grabbed a brochure depicting a variety of front stainless nudge bars, rear tube step..bow tie style, double tube rear step, tow bar etc from a company called DUYS. They claim to be ISO9000 and TS 16949 accredited. I do not know them or have tried them out, as I say, I just have their Mahindra brochure. Their address is 1 Progress Rd, New Germany 3610, KZN. SA. 031 713 1722 or www.duys.co.za or email orders to: [email protected].

Well I went to test drive the Scorpio Refresh and was not that impressed. It looks tough but some of the panels you could see the glue on. The bumper too seemed to have glue sticking out of the seams.

The seating arrangment is weird too, three seats right at the back and two behind the driver. This means that if you take out the back three seat bench seat to get some boot space, which is what the dealer suggested, I will have boot space but only place for four passengers. Why couldn't you have a three seat bench behind the driver and two behind that which the dealer said was the case with the old vehicle? Seems weird.

Interesting comment about the new seating arrangements. I have just spent the best part of today again at the Mahindra Dealership, with a friend whom I am trying to convince to buy the refresh Scorpio. He is particularly keen, besides the seating arrangement that you have described which also jars with him. Yet others prefer the new type...especially those with kids apparently. Horses for Courses...??

Got a sweet deal on a Scorpio 2.6 SUV 4x4. Same price as a second hand one. Will take possession on Tuesday 6 April
    EGR blocked
    Granny steps removed
    Nitro ring & pinion
    Eaton Detroit Locker
    Free flow exhaust

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast