Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Nissan makes me angry again

Had a new clutch fitted on the Navara (guarantee job). Now no power when pulling away.
    Went to a dealer this morning.

"Sorry sir. With a new clutch they re-program the computer to drop the Kw and torque to put less strain on the clutch. Nothing we can do"

What a lot of bull. I have 4 months left on my motor plan and I am sure that I will stuff up the clutch again by revving 2000 just to pull away. Who will pay for the clutch then ?

They are doing the same with the V6.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Now that is ridiculous.

Why not just rather sort out the clutch
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Had a new clutch fitted on the Navara (guarantee job). Now no power when pulling away.

"Sorry sir. With a new clutch they re-program the computer to drop the Kw and torque to put less strain on the clutch. Nothing we can do"

What a lot of bull. I have 4 months left on my motor plan and I am sure that I will stuff up the clutch again by revving 2000 just to pull away. Who will pay for the clutch then ?

LMAO...sorry, but that must now be an ABSOLUTE BUMMER!! But then again why did Nissan not inform you...so they sold you a vehicle with X power, now they reduce it without informing you. So nissan are selling Navara's with X Power then reducing when it has a clutch change due to an inferior design...why don't Nissan sell the Navara at a reduced power and ADVERTISE the TRUE power of the vehicle...from what you say, I'd tell them to get stuffed, give my power back and if it breaks again, replace...else, take the vehicle back as it's blatant false advertising!

I think the Navara and Pathfinder are incorrectly marketed. Nissan should have a low-spec Patrol (GL-spec, no frills) to cover the hard-core SUV area, and the Hardbody / NP300 with more engine options for the 4x4 SC and DC.
    Typical crap corporate decisions, and it will force many to turn away from Nissan.

Apart from that, the clutch on the new Nissans is a known problem: too weak, too expensive. Bad engineering. Add to that the pathetic longevity of the TDCi motors, and you have a recipe for declining sales.

Laat dit vir hulle 'n les wees. Final point: buy a Nissan at your own peril, and never keep it after the warranty has expired.
    (Oh bugger, the clutch isn't covered, and read the clauses on fair wear and tare....)

report them to the motoring ombudsman

you're joking right? Nissan's answer to a clutch problem is to reduce the power output?

nice!!!

perhaps a well worded letter to all the major motoring magazines and papers, see how the hell they can justify that!!!

Report NISSAN to the ombudsman? That's a laugh. Sorry, Timmo, but this is a Nissan-wide policy.
    But maybe worth a try, the miserable bastards need a wake-up.
    Hate the Nissan dealers, hate them hate them hate them. Over-charging parts-swopping liars. Almost without exception. In fact, I reckon the exceptions in SA can be named on one hand.

Is this really true?
    Has any other owner come across this situation?

My suspicious mind tells me that they damaged the electronics when they did the clutch and are just counting the days until they are no longer responsible.

well, try the ASA (advertising standards authority). it's definitley false advertising to market a product with feature "x" and then deliver something with substantially less than 'x', in this case a whole lot less ponies, aspecially as you can test drive one with that power then get something with somewhat less power/torque

they are actually admitting the clutch is not up to the job of transmitting the power the engine makes to the drivetrain, which makes it a bad design. at least it's honest, other brands might just say it's bad driving that causes it and not cover it at all!!

but what they should do is issue a recall and fit a better clutch.

ASA has massive clout, can issue serious fines and force refunds etc....

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Is this really true?
    Has any other owner come across this situation?
    My suspicious mind tells me that they damaged the electronics when they did the clutch and are just counting the days until they are no longer responsible.
    The tech at Atlantis Nissan told me that there's a lot of unhappy owners who experienced the same as I did.

Spoke to another tech at Delmas Nissan 5 minutes ago. They are forced to do the re-programming. If not, they cannot claim from the factory.

Rico, it's time for the wonder of negative publicity.

a motoring hack would love this story... find the right one!!!

I would simply insist that the vehicle perform to published brochure specification.
    Else you can contact the following institutions:
    Advertising Standards Authority
    http://www.asasa.org.za/

Press Ombudsman of South Africa
    [email protected]

They will be forced to either fix your vehicle, or reprint all their brochures to contain a disclaimer that the performance specs might be reduced to prevent failure of mechanical components.

Edit: Damn! Apoc got in ahead of me!
    Last edited by RedLineR; 2010/03/17 at 12:20 PM.
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; T=1 but, 1/2T=

i recall reading in a motoring mag when Nissan launched the navara that Nissan would not elaborate on how they got from 106KW on the 4x2 to 128KW on the 4x4 version of the 2.5TDCi.

Now it seems that they have to down tune the 4x4 to same spec as 4x2 because clutch can't take the power!

So they overspeced the power of the engin to get "best power in segment" just to down tune it after it is sold!
    BLATANT FALS AND MISLEADING ADVERTISING!
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

A new Pathfinder was on my shopping list some three years ago. I can distincly remember reading in the brochure about the engine output (for both petrol and diesel) when they claim those class leading kw numbers, they followed with the phrase "use it as you like". I still said to myself that is so un-mechanical and so very advertising-like talk.

If they really down-tune those motors after selling them, based on those kw numbers, then there is a real reason to take them to task.

It still sounds unbelievable. PLEASE, I believe you gentlemen. I just can't believe what our motor industry is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post

Hi Rico
    I think there is a different problem. The re-program purely changes the throttle response during the release of the clutch. This change retards the throttle to prevent high reving during clutch release. Once off the clutch full throttle is achieved. There is absolutely no loss of power. Does your vehicle still perform well once the clutch is released, or is it lethargic overall?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnissan View Post
    Hi Rico
    I think there is a different problem. The re-program purely changes the throttle response during the release of the clutch. This change retards the throttle to prevent high reving during clutch release. Once off the clutch full throttle is achieved. There is absolutely no loss of power. Does your vehicle still perform well once the clutch is released, or is it lethargic overall?
    Once reaching 2000rpm it is OK. It's just the pull away. I do have a steep driveway at home and need to almost drive on the clutch while revving the motor.
    I also tow an Explorer which is heavy. Have not tried towing it because I only got the bakkie back last week. As it is now I might struggle with the towing and might damage the clutch when revving too high trying to move forward.
    I also tried pulling away without using any throttle on an even surface. Once on the move and you hit the fuel pedal it is still struggling to get away. The tech that drove the bakkie this morning also mentioned that it is "lazy"

Problem is that my motor plan is almost gone and I am scared that I will stuff up the clutch and have to pay for it.

Using your clutch to generate torque is the first mistake. This is the exact reason the re-program was done. Your vehicle generates 403 nm of torque at 2000 rpm all of the other competitors generate less torque. Understandibly not every person's every application can be catered for, and your use with the steep driveway is a challenge. I have experienced similar gear ratio related complications when towing with high engine output sedans (eg BMW 330I). Where are you based, I would like for you to bring your vehicle through to Melrose Nissan, to see if we can find anything wrong. I am not saying that we can solve your problem, but a second oppinion can't hurt.

Ons het dieselfde probleem by die werk.ons het 3 Navara's 4x4 en 1 het 2 keer gegaan vir 'n clutch die ander een het 3 keer en die ander het nou vir sy 4 de keer gegaan en nie een van hulle het al 50000 km op die klok nie die een wat twee keer gegaan het het maar 29000 km op die klok.volgens die agente kom hy uit met 'n clutch unit uit en as hulle die clutch mod dan sit hulle 'n flywheel in en die clutch plaat en pressure plaat en dan stel hulle die torqe af vir die wegtrek.Ons gaan nou so ver as om niks met die navara te trek nie.

Very, very interesting thread indeed...

Had the clutch replaces 8000 km ago (2.5D 4x4). When I drove away after collecting the vehicle, I thought the clutch was slipping on pull-away (difference in power was very noticeable.) After a few km I got used to the new way of driving the vehicle. My wife (who drove it on Saturday for the first time since Dec 08) commented that "hy is darem pap as mens wegtrek" (although still beiing seriously impressed with the power once on the move, and when over-taking).

The times I have noticed the lack of power on pull-away the most where:
    - At Atlantis I have to rev it to 2000 and let go of the clutch - otherwise there is just not sufficient power and you have to ride on the clutch to pull away.
    - Followed a farmer to his dam last week - had to stop on a fairly steep (gravel) incline for a farm vehicle - simply could not pull away (on the incline) in the normal fashion (no power, engine would stall or one had to ride on the clutch to pull away) - felt a bit stupid with all the gravel flyiing when I had to do the 2000 RPM thinghy.

I am definately goiing to take this up with Nissan on the 90K (final guarantee) service.
    Last edited by Jakiesespeelding; 2010/03/22 at 11:47 PM.

The following springs to mind...

It is a known problem but Nissan sell the vehicle with the increased power just to make a sale even though the know it is going to break... this is either false advertising or selling a verhicle/component that is known to be not fit for use... both illegal.

Secondly... great business plan... sell a vehicle that is going to break and annoy your customers as well as swallow the cost of replacing the clutch on every vehicle. Why don't they just change it before they sell it... ANSWER: they hope the clutch breaks after the maintenance plan has expired thereby scoring R10K, R20K...

Nice one Nissan... NEARLY makes Toyota seem sqeaky clean!
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Sold)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast