To all X-Trail owners and ex owners

Default To all X-Trail owners and ex owners

I am interested in buying a Nissan X-Trail. Wanted a d/c but swambo wants to drive the thing too so must settle for a SUV type and the x-trails seems to be the one

What are your comments about the x-trail. How capable is it off the road and does the fact that there is no LH limit you.

• What would be a better option 1) 2.5 petrol 4x4 or 2) 2.2D 4x4 or 3) 2.0 petrol 4x4

This would now be for fuel consumption.

• Is there anything that I specificely need to look out for when buying a secondhand x-trail. What is also an acceptable km for a second hand (diesel and petrol)
    • What is the average running costs on the x-trail
    • Would you recomend the x-trail?
    If you wanna walk on water you first have to get out of the boat!!

1989 Mazda MX5

On the desel X-trail, run you fingers under the rim of the intercooler, if you have oil on your fingers, the turbo is pushing oil back, and the seals therefore need to be replaced!

I had a 2005 2.2D, fantastic vehicle! The lack of low range and the limited ground clearance (the 200mm is a lie) its more like 150mm will definitely limit you, well depending on what you want to do with the vehicle though.

Its a nice pavement hopper
    Ryan
    ADMIN REMOVED

Current Drive: Disco 2 Td5 ES
    Previous: Nissan X-Trail 2.2D
    Previous: Nissan Qashqai 1.6 (Now claimed by SWAMBO)

Hi

I had a a 2.2 Diesel X Trail. I like diesel's, but I will never look at a diesel X Trail again. Mine gave me alot of trouble. On 105 000km I had to replace 4 injectors because the car stared to smoke badly. When Nissan worked on the car they also told me to replace the airflow meter. Then they told me my intercooler is faulty. I had to replace all. I did replace it all, Nissan did help with some of the costs. But on 120 000km my car started to smoke again. I then took it to a Bosch agent. Again my injectors needed replacing. Lucky for me they where under warranty so Nissan replaced them. (For the record I only use 50ppm diesel). I sold it on 145 000km and bought a Fortuner.

A X trail is a good buy, but if you want to buy diesel, buy with less than 50 000km and FSH.

I think the 2.5 petrol is the best 1!!

Good luck.

Hi,
    Perhaps a bit late, but for what it's worth: I have had a 2006 2,5 petrol X-Trail since new. What a pleasure up to now! Only costs were new discs (and pads of course) at the back - worn pads did not warn me soon enough and damaged the discs) and new tyres at about 72 000km. Fuel consumpotion between 9,5 and 11,5 liters per 100 km depending on whether open road or suburban. Currently 105 000 km on the clock.
    I am not an off-road fanatic, but have done some heavy dunes in Mozambique (with a small wheel trailer!) without any difficulties. Am going on a Botswana trip later this year.
    Will recommend the petrol version X-Trail any time!

Johnman

I had the previous shape Petrol, really a great car. Currently I drive the new model Diesel, the power is great and I enjoy. for a family with kids this is a great car to have. Its sand driving (acc to me) is the best in its class. Biggest boot, best legroom, and a huge sunroof you will enjoy in a place like the Kruger. The Previous 2.5 has 132 kw (I stand to be corrected). It has a lot of power for a 4 cylinder, and is a very comfortable car to drive.

I have the 2004 2.5 4x4 petrol. Great vehicle for what it is...

Consumption over Dec... 4 passengers + driver and seriously loaded was a shade over 10km/l.
    Just replaced front pads (Ferodo) and was about R600-700, can't remember getting old!
    Do my own servicing.

Do not touch the older diesels (IMHO)
    Nissan clutches are S**T... so ensure that you have no problems there.

Generally a great vehicle that is quite capable and at a good price.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Thanks for the info. I have finally made up my mind and now I am looking for a 2.5 X-trail 4x4 in white. These x-trails are very difficult to get. Alot of 2.2d or 2l but not the 2.5 Will post pics as soon as i get mine.

1989 Mazda MX5

Hi,

I have a 2004 2.5 petrol 4x4 that is possibly on the market. pretty good nick all around, done a lot of work cosmetic and mechanical recently to proactively avaoid breakdowns. New clutch, bearings, tyres, shocks, battery etc.

In my opinion, it is a great all rounder, great town car also great for trips away etc. LR is only a problem if you want to do 4x4 trails (the obstacle type). the rear can be a bit low if loaded quite heavily, otherwise fine.

you can PM or mail me john @ edcon . co . za

Quote Originally Posted by Batten View Post
    I am interested in buying a Nissan X-Trail. Wanted a d/c but swambo wants to drive the thing too so must settle for a SUV type and the x-trails seems to be the one

What are your comments about the x-trail. How capable is it off the road and does the fact that there is no LH limit you.

• What would be a better option 1) 2.5 petrol 4x4 or 2) 2.2D 4x4 or 3) 2.0 petrol 4x4
    This would now be for fuel consumption.

• Is there anything that I specificely need to look out for when buying a secondhand x-trail. What is also an acceptable km for a second hand (diesel and petrol)
    • What is the average running costs on the x-trail
    • Would you recomend the x-trail?
    Hi There

Last year I bought the new 2.0 dci out of the box. Man oh man was I surprised at this thing, it goes like a little TGV, it's economical and really practical and I feel quite well made aswell. It's one of the quietist diesel engines available and really smooth. At the time Nissan ran a spacial (20% or 25% off) and I took advantage, I paid 230k for a brand new one!!! That discount basically gave me one year of free driving in terms of value drops etc. I think your wife will love it. I just don't know if they have specials running anymore. The road holding is amazing, it handles really well. It also loves gravel roads.

I would stay away from the old 2.2 diesel...Ive heard the old 2.5 petrol is very decent. Currently I get between 15 - 16 km/l on the open road and 11 - 12 in the city with the new dci Xtrail. The car is only year old so this should improve. Then again I dont thrash it.

My choice would be the 2.5 4x4 (old one)

I went to look at one yesterday. I think its the perfect vehicle for my mom.

However this was a 2002 - 109k with 178 000km

Driving the 2.5 is fine, the clutch felt low and that had me concerned. I would of liked an auto though.

I called the dealership who serviced it (love it when the slap stickers over the car) and the workshop manager told me the previous owner complained about the oil usage. 500ml/2500km. So that has now turned me away.

So the diesel is a total no go?
    Commander XK CRD GDE HOT tjoon - Strong like bull.
    OME, big tires, blah blah

The older 2.2D started to smoke after 150 000km, according to aacc(dont want to advertise) the intercooler on top of the motor was to small, and didnt run cold enough. Go for the petrol.

mine is still available if anyone is keen? 2.5 petrol 4x4, good nick, white, manual.

Does anybody know of someone in Cape Town that wants to sell their 2.5 4x4 x-trail 2002-2004 model

1989 Mazda MX5