Default 33" tyres and body lift

I should be getting a set of 33" tyres on 15" rims this week. Yes, that means I'll have 20" rims and these now! LOL!

Question is, will a 40mm body lift be enough to clear the off road 33" tyres?

What's the maximum I can lift without doing anything to the steering column?

what vehicle ?

You mention 4omm body lift, is this combined with a suspension lift as well ?

Rather do a 70mm body lift. Not sure whether it will be enough, but you'll be close
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

just beware on the ford mazda 2.5td. a diff change or gearbox repair will happen with 33" tyres
    Ford Ranger 2.5td 4x4 XLT
    KB250 swb 4x2
    Ford Figo 1.4tdci
    VW Transporter 2.5TDI 4MOTION

Bundutoe

I did a 70 mm body lift on my Ranger I had plus I had an Ironman suspension put in that gave me another couple of mm(plus the SFA swap out I had done). You will have to do the diff ratios other wise it will be completely dead over any speed over 70 km/h, if it is the 2.5 TDI like I had.

It also depends on which brand of 33" tyres you bought! I had the Maxxis Bighorns on that was the narowest 33" on the market. They are 12" wide and were fitted on 15" 10J rims. 10J is the minimum size required. Their 35" bighorns are the exact same width as the 33"s. You will also have to think about putting braided brake hoses on because the brakes will tend to fade a bit with the bigger tyres on.

Have a look at this link to my photo albums of my Ranger; http://www.4x4community.co.za/photopost/useralbums.php

I have also seen a members 4l v6 double cab Ranger, a white one if I can remember correctly, that also had 33" tyres on. I think the picture was under this post;
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...?t=9125&page=4 , Post #73
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...?t=9125&page=3 , my Ranger on post #55
    Last edited by offroad junky; 2010/03/15 at 03:35 AM.
    Offroad junky
    '97 SsangYong Musso 602 EL exec
    '14 Citroen DS4 2.0 HDI swambo's platkar

Previously;
    '03 Nissan HB 3.0TD D/C 4x4
    '07 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4
    '16 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC XL Hi-Rider
    '12 Disco 4 SDV6 SE - Beauty
    '06 Disco 3 TDV6 S (De-cat, EGR blanked, remap, Johnson rods suspension rods, 285/65-R17 Kuhmo KL61) - Beast
    '04 Terracan 3.5 V6
    '96 Ssang Yong Musso 602 (non turbo manual)
    '04 Ford Ranger 2.5 TDI D/C 4x4 with Solid front axle and 33" Maxxis

Quote Originally Posted by ozosborne View Post
    I should be getting a set of 33" tyres on 15" rims this week. Yes, that means I'll have 20" rims and these now! LOL!

Question is, will a 40mm body lift be enough to clear the off road 33" tyres?

What's the maximum I can lift without doing anything to the steering column?

So how many times can I say NO NO NO noooo......50mm lift will be the max before you have to fit a longer steering shaft and lengthen the brake lines coming up from the chassis at your firewall which are hard lines that are bolted your your body..50mm you can losen the lines and get more play.

Just remember that you'll have to drop the radiator mountings and the higher you go then you might have to redo some pipe work and lengthen your gearshift lever...cut a larger hole in the body where the lever moves through so you can select all gears...adjust the rock sliders, front and rear bullbar/bumpers....etc...

AND then, with 33" you WILL get chassis rub upfront unless you fit offset rims, no body lift fixes that.....then you'll have to cut some wheel arch body work away...wider the tyre the more you'll have to cut...

And now we not even talking breaking issues and as Rupert said, power is GONE.....you will CHALK fuel..in short....unless you spend LOADS of cash to do the job properly, you going to turn a good 4x4 into a piece of crap that only looks good standing still...useless in every other aspect.

Oh and the stress on the drivetrain will be severe.....which means you'll break shafts/cv's and damage gearboxes even more easily, fit muds and you screwed.

Save up and get the 3.0TDI...
    Last edited by Scrat; 2010/03/16 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling blows

Hmmmm, so it's a idea! My bakkie is a Ford supercab 4x2 2.5TD. Youll remember someone wanted to swap me my aftermarket 15's with 30" tyres on for 20" rims and tyres. Now I also have someone that wants my standard 15" rims and tyres for the set of 33" tyres on 10J rims. But sounds to me, it's gonna be a massive pain to get them to fit?? And then once they do, it will drive !?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    So how many times can I say NO NO NO noooo......50mm lift will be the max before you have to fit a longer steering shaft and lengthen the brake lines coming up from the chassis at your firewall which are hard lines that are bolted your your body..50mm you can losen the lines and get more play.

Just remember that you'll have to drop the radiator mountings and the higher you go then you might have to redo some pipe work and lengthen your gearshift lever...cut a larger hole in the body where the lever moves through so you can select all gears...adjust the rock sliders, front and rear bullbar/bumpers....etc...

AND then, with 33" you WILL get chassis rub upfront unless you fit offset rims, no body lift fixes that.....then you'll have to cut some wheel arch body work away...wider the tyre the more you'll have to cut...

And now we not even talking breaking issues and as Rupert said, power is GONE.....you will CHALK fuel..in short....unless you spend LOADS of cash to do the job properly, you going to turn a good 4x4 into a piece of crap that only looks good standing still...useless in every other aspect.

Oh and the stress on the drivetrain will be severe.....which means you'll break shafts/cv's and damage gearboxes even more easily, fit muds and you screwed.

Save up and get the 3.0TDI...
    I had a 70 mm body lift on and still the standard brake lines. I had 33" tures on 10J rims and NO chassis rub. I did have to cut the bottom of the front bumper though and I had a SFA conversion done and they moved the front axle slightly forward so I did not have to cut the body but the front bumper.

It can be done. Great 4x4's are built by hand, not bought. My Ranger is proof that it can be done.. You just have to throw some cash at it...
    Offroad junky

Previously;
    '07 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4
    '06 Disco 3 TDV6 S (De-cat, EGR blanked, remap, Johnson rods suspension rods, 285/65-R17 Kuhmo KL61) - Beast
    '04 Terracan 3.5 V6

What model Ranger do you have? So you can go 70mm without changing things like steering etc?

How's the handling on road?

He had a 2004 Model - your bakkie should be fina as well - with 70mm you might have to modify the gear lever slightly, with 50mm lift you'll be absolutely fine
    I'll send you pics ASAP - will take some tonight, then we can talk, as per PM - with the 33's your gear ratios will be an issue - I have changed my diff ratio's from 4.44 to 4.88 to acommodate the 33's, OJ did the same, with standard ratios I would not go higher than 32"
    Christo Davids

Quote Originally Posted by offroad junky View Post
    I had a 70 mm body lift on and still the standard brake lines. I had 33" tures on 10J rims and NO chassis rub. I did have to cut the bottom of the front bumper though and I had a SFA conversion done and they moved the front axle slightly forward so I did not have to cut the body but the front bumper.

It can be done. Great 4x4's are built by hand, not bought. My Ranger is proof that it can be done.. You just have to throw some cash at it...

Ya slimgat, but like you said you went for the narrowest tyres in 33/12/15..I was quoting your standard 33/12.5/15.. on stock rims...tyres do also balloon on stock rims to thou and not recommened but they do fit no problem, to get around that you need to change to offset rims and or narrower tyres, like you did...also, there is back and forth flex in the front suspension when you go off-roading but your conversion would have sorted all of that out to...

And the brake lines, look further back down the chassis, there is a another bracket you can losen and bend the pipes but I would not recommend doing that...Christo is right in fitting flexible braided steel lines between the chassis and cab...to take up the cab flex you get..which you never see from the cabbie until the brake lines break from being over stressed.

In short...like I said, be prepared to make MANY changes to get it to work.....ANYTHING is do-able, ask Offroad Junky, if you throw enough money at it...

I dont want to throw much money at it. I just want bigger tyres and a higher bakkie for the look at minimal cost. But sounds like I have a good compromise offer from Christo!

I dont want to throw much money at it. I just want bigger tyres and a higher bakkie for the look at minimal cost. But sounds like I have a good compromise offer from Christo!

Yep, body lifts are cheap, just take time but see what Christo did and don't forget the radiator...like I said, it's cheap but takes time...

Got some help and advice on body lifts, and it's from guys that have done it before. So I reckon that should be fine, also spoke to Christo about torsion bars and moving shackles or something or other?

We'll talk, I'll send you pics tomorrow with everything, then we can negotiate a deal
    Christo Davids

What model Ranger do you have? So you can go 70mm without changing things like steering etc?

How's the handling on road?
    Just remember, my steering was completely changed because I had a solid front axle put in. The standard ranger steering column with the Toyota power steering pitman arm and steering linkages.

Onroad it drove very nice, a little under steering going into corners, because of the tyres I think but still stable.
    Offroad junky

Previously;
    '07 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4
    '04 Terracan 3.5 V6