New Section of Hennops? Open to public? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We drove the "new" section of Hennops two weeks ago on invitation of Heinrich. Guess he needed a few people to clear up the trail.
    It is a very rocky trail with some interesting challenges. Since the trail wasn't used in the past 5 years or so it was highly overgrown and the rocks quite loose. We spent more time to built the road in order to overcome approach/departure and breakover angle issue, but it was a hell lot of fun!
    Low Range, Center Diff and a good ground clearance is a must! Axle Difflocks seriously will make things much much easier!
    Nothing for 4x2's and proberly a trail for those that look for a challenge and don't mind scratches on their cars or dents underneath. We cut one tyre on the sharp rocks.
    It is a trail you shouldn't drive alone and from what I gathered from Heinrich it will be only open on request since there is a potential danger of damaging your car.

Here are a few pictures:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=4ea7076071
    /
    Nobbi

I'm sorry if it seems out of line, but what you did is unacceptable to me.

You took a trail that's TOUGH, with BYPASSES at the obstacles, and made the tough sections easier by stacking rocks? That's not on. Not everyone drives a 'softroader', some of us actually like to play on the tougher trails ... that's why we put in bypasses when we originally laid it out.

It's 'cheap tricks' like these that spoils trails - this, and 'braiding' - taking a different line on an obstacle to make it passable to YOU and YOUR vehicle and YOUR skillset.

I was just thinking about trying out the new section and now it's gone 'soft'-won't bother now.
    Unless I take swambos Astra
    A legend in his own mind

@Bushcamp
    If you were there you would know that there no bypasses except for the obstical.
    Feel free to contact Heinrich and go and find out yourself!
    And for me your comment is a bit out of line since you were not there and you don't know how it was looking like. But when a car is resting on its front and back bumper in a donga you have to get it him somehow. Feel free to remove those rocks we left there! If the rain doesn't have done it already....

Cheers
    Nobbi

I helped lay out that trail - including all the bypasses. ALL obstacles has bypasses.

Quote Originally Posted by bushcamp View Post
    I helped lay out that trail - including all the bypasses. ALL obstacles has bypasses.
    Well, then we either are not talking about the same trail or I didn't saw the bypasses because everything was overgrown. As I said, I saw one bypass on the first obstical and that was it!

But again: It is not a "soft" trail now
    /
    Nobbi

Looked at all your photos, it's the same trail - and you probably wouldn't find the bypasses in that bush. We'll chat to Hein and go do maintenance for him.

Nobbi,

I'm surprised you say the trail is an "old trail". When we first drove it a few months ago, we laid the tracks from scratch through the bushes up & down the hills. Heinrich then invited the Jeep Club to do the trail in order to establish a more prominent track. However, it was left for a while and after some heavy rains, the grass & bushes had completely covered any footprint there was, making it almost impossible to find again. About a month ago, we quickly went through it again and had a hard time finding our previous tracks.

I gather from your pics you guys only did the first part of the trail. There is a second part to it that is even more challenging - the part that goes over the back of a hill. This is at least a grade 4 section and deals with some serious rocky terrain. We're planning on going over that section very soon, in order to clearly mark the trail. I know that Heinrich needed to sort out some logistical issues with respect to access to that area (some cattle or game in that part), but I'm sure he has resolved it by now. At first he seemed a bit concerned over the difficulty of this section, but I soon convinced him that there are many off-road enthusiasts out there dying for a challenge.

I think he might be a bit more enthusiastic by now though. I will try and post links to a few videos of the first section once I've managed to get them on to Youtube.

Will keep you posted.
    2008 JEEP RUBiCON
    3.5 LIFT with ADJUSTABLE FOX SHOCKS
    37" COOPER STT
    SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGER

At least the trail is being worked on and upgraded,there are too many trails that have stayed the same for a long time so it's not worth going again over and over. I battle to get guys to go with me to various places as they've done them to death-we need different obstacles,they don't need to be 'walls of death', just a different line or dip helps. I've done some easy looking obstacles that turn out to be 'the one to get stuck on'-normally man made. In the UK the trails have to be safe due to public health and safety,but that doesn't mean they are easy,just one strategically placed hole catches you out! So what I'm trying to say is to the guys who build or own a trail-you don't have to build a vertical mountain climb for us,just a couple of holes or humps please,a bit of mud in the right places as well thanks. A good example(to me) is Bosvark,even No 1 obstacle that looks nothing has suprised a few people,its a few holes dug in the ground!-see attached
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A legend in his own mind

Johan,
    All Heinrich told me that the trail wasn't open for the public for about 5years or so. Thats why I am talking the "old" trail.
    I didn't posted all the pictures on Facebook.
    We have been a group of 6 cars and it took us about 4.5hours to get through (including the tyre change).
    /
    Nobbi

Quote Originally Posted by johanswift View Post
    .... but I soon convinced him that there are many off-road enthusiasts out there dying for a challenge.....
    Hell Yea!!!! I'll support that sentiment.....
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

I think that the new section will definitely add variety to Hennops and as Incrediblebob has mentioned, it's all about facing different obstacles, each with their own unique challenges.

I have to admit the scenery is beautiful - especially in summer. The BIG PLUS is that the entire trail is natural - no man made ditches or humps, just 100% nature!! And believe me - some inclines and downhills are definitely worth mentioning!
    2008 JEEP RUBiCON
    37" COOPER STT
    SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGER

OK,now I'm going to see for myself,do you need permission or anything to do the new old trail? Is it marked or is a map available?
    A legend in his own mind

I want in...if you'll allow a soft-roader along
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

You will need to phone the owner, Heinrich and make an arrangement. As far as I know, you also need to be at least 4 vehicles as he will probably have to accompany you through the trail. There are no official markings or signs - this will be implemented in due course. The route is not on a map and it's not open to public yet, but you can arrange with him beforehand to do the trail. Phone him - I'm sure you'll quickly find three other enthusiasts on this forum to join you..
    2008 JEEP RUBiCON
    37" COOPER STT
    SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGER

Give me a PM if you are interested in going to see the trail first hand, and doing maintenance at the same time. There's limited space available. Probably end up going there either 3rd April or 17th April.

I'm booked for the entire Easter weekend but will join in on the 17th. Maybe we can sommer do the second part as well. Have you done this part before Riaan?
    2008 JEEP RUBiCON
    37" COOPER STT
    SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGER

Yes - I actually had to engage low range for that part

I'll set it up for the 17th then - will make a post later about it.

Potlood my naam sommer by voorbaat daar in asseblief Riaan...
    Sakkie Coetzee

Trail maintenance just confirmed for the 24th April 2010. See this thread for details.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast