Urban legend, web scam, email scam, gullible rubbish, whatever: Recent threads merged - Page 9

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Just got an e-mail today.
    I have an amount of 1,6 million pounds waiting for me. Must contact Trevor Williams to arrange for transfer.

Same name as the guy who sent the same mail to me a few years back.
    Tested the scam/scum by replying. Yes the money is there at this address in Liverpool and they are requiring 5000 quid to do the administration of getting the winnings transferred. Didn't give them my bank details. Told them if I had so much money to my credit they should just debit the trf fee to that account and let me know when the cheque will be ready for the balance and I'd send my son to collect it. He lives in Birkenhead, just across the Mersey so no problem!!!!!!
    Never had another squeek out of them till today, but Jaa. If you've not bought a ticket in advance how can you expect to win? where do the come from with this crud and how come you never hear of any of these scamsters being arrested and brought to book. They must catch some people I suppose??
    1949 Series 1 80" 2.0l rover engine.Also Sold
    1969 Series 2a 109" safari. 3.5l rover engine, 4sp Range Rover ZF g/box. 3.5 diffs Sold. Will miss her lots
    1999 Disco ii 4.0l v8 Auto box

Im also the proud owner of two jet skis that I won through some competion.
    I must pay the cost of delivery only.
    No problem I will fetch.
    No the delivery company must be paid as they are one of the sponsors of the competition.
    No problem I will pay del co their fee when I fetch.
    No del co is international.
    No problem say where and when.
    No photo must be taken of winner at home.
    No problem Im here waiting.
    No del cost is payable.
    No problem I have cash in my hand.
    No del cost must be deposited before delivery.
    And so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2009/09/15 at 09:11 AM.

The wiff got the same sms on Sunday evening, Mr Toppie.
    She still asked me if the HK was for Hong Kong.

Then there was that little Nissan 1400 I won, I just had to go to a seminar and sign some documents with an admin fee attached.
    Last edited by JasonRSA; 2009/09/15 at 09:12 AM.

Damdam, Nee ek is al lank genoeg in die land om nie vir so iets te val nie. Dit was nogtans interessant om van almal se reaksie en soortgelyke ondervindings te lees. Interessante tye waarin ons lewe. Groete aan almal wat saam gesels het. Wakker loop.
    Ou Toppie

Default Wc 2010 - polo scam?

Hi all

Is the following a scam or not?

My mother in law (86yrs of age) received notification on her cellphone that her cellphone number was entered into their competition....and she has won a 2008 (?) VW Polo

They requested the following
    Photostat of ID
    Residential address (for delivery of the prize in person)
    A code that she received with the SMS message

She send the information through and received a SMS with a reference number that she must fax to their RSA area manager Mr Nico Herman (fax no 086 547 etc) who will then make the necessary arrangements with their agents, to deliver her prize

Sounds to good to be true

Niek van Wyk
    2007 FORD RANGER 3.0 TDCI 4x4 XLE DC

25d 44m 52s S
    28d 13m 52s E

4ePikanini Guest

Be careful. Does she remember entering such a competition?

Usually if you win something they want to hand it over at some prizegiving to get advertising out of it.

The copy of ID can be used to have her married to someone else.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

check on internet for a competition giving away a 2008 polo.
    V8 Cruiser & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

So far I've won about 20 million Rand, all I have to do is give them all my info-ID etc.
    My father in law falls for these 'deals' he wins prizes,pays for administration,then has to pay for postage, then 'unluckily' he doesn't win the big bucks but get a cd cleaner worth R49-after spending R180 on postage.Then he falls for the next deal.He recently won two TomToms costing him R4200,they retail for R1495 each,but he also got a FREE windscreen sunshade! He won't listen.
    A legend in his own mind

If it's not some girlie from Top Billing knocking on your door with cameras in your face then it's a scam! Preferrably the one with lots of cleavage!

Of course its a scam.
    Too late now, id is in circulation, but be careful NOT to give any further personal info like bank account no, pin codes etc, (we have to register the car in your name, you only have to pay license fee, no plate etc etc, dont worry we do eveything).
    Same problem with my mother, they are too trusting and never learn.
    Or should I say they never listen to advice from people trying to protect them.

I wouldnt give any information which can be used to open an Edgars account with, unless I was 100% convinced it was legitimate.

Remember - if you can open any accounts with only an ID or bank stetment, so can anyone else who has yours...

I also thought so. Just wanting to make sure

She entered no competition

I have warned her about this as I do not fall for this "crap"
    I am very very upset that she gave away MY residential address without discussing it with me

Niek van Wyk
    2007 FORD RANGER 3.0 TDCI 4x4 XLE DC

25d 44m 52s S
    28d 13m 52s E

I hope I never really win something!!! I throw away anything that doesn't look like a bill i am expecting.

My folks won a house some years back, and did not remeber entering!!!
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Question To good to be true ?

I'm totally clueless when it comes to share trading.

Got phone call out of the blue from INVESTCARE http://www.platfields.net/documents/...ESENTATION.pdf
    offering me shares in an unlisted company, Platfields, that will start trading on the JSE soon. According to the lady I spoke to, these shares will increase in value by about 1000% within the first 12-18 months of listing. Is this possible / probable ?

The call from an investment company that I have never had any dealings with and the unbelievable (to an ignoramus like me) projected growth, makes me think it may be a scam. I'd hate to loose out on the chance to make a few bucks though

Should I heed the warning of "anything that seems to good to be true, usually is" or take a chance on this lot ?

There's an ad on TV where the guy trades an apple which he in turn trades for a cup of coffee which he trades for a TV etc til he wangles a wheel chair for an old toppie.

Maybe invest in some apples rather.

My advice would be to avoid such offers.

Such share growth is possible - high risk, high return. Bottom line is, there are people who make such gains on a daily basis, but there are 1000 times more who loose a lot more. This about it, if it was such a great investment and such a certainty, why would they sell it, why not buy the shares themselves
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Work through a broker.
    Something goes wrong, you sue the broker.
    People like Alan Grey or Coronation should also know something about this unlisted co.

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    I'm totally clueless when it comes to share trading.

Got phone call out of the blue from INVESTCARE http://www.platfields.net/documents/...ESENTATION.pdf
    offering me shares in an unlisted company, Platfields, that will start trading on the JSE soon. According to the lady I spoke to, these shares will increase in value by about 1000% within the first 12-18 months of listing. Is this possible / probable ?

The call from an investment company that I have never had any dealings with and the unbelievable (to an ignoramus like me) projected growth, makes me think it may be a scam. I'd hate to loose out on the chance to make a few bucks though

Should I heed the warning of "anything that seems to good to be true, usually is" or take a chance on this lot ?
    I would say : classic scam . Stay far far away...
    Dave

BTW, if it is a Pvt company, as they say, then you would be able to retrieve a lot of info about it at the registrar. Before listing it would have to be converted to a public company (not sure what the details are under the new companies act). You should be able to view all the details and documents though
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast