Urban legend, web scam, email scam, gullible rubbish, whatever: Recent threads merged - Page 2

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Aha Zulu, the thick plottens.

So you phoned them as well........
    Jacques
    Never trust a Chinchilla to hold your balloon.

The interweb is a wonderful thing, free unlimited international calling. Am trying to get the number of the space station, but everytime I call, I get to a place that answers "Central Intelligence...." and then the line cuts off....
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 220 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

talk about scams

my sis just sent my e-mail address onto one of these things

the scamsters say, sent this to 10 people and cc it us, one of the free mail services add
    to qualify for a prize a week away for 4 people

striped and my nut!!!!!!!

try and not get my e-mail address out there and the family goes and gives it away to them!!!

I am leading them up the garden path... by e mail. Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by Bob Lemon; 2008/09/12 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Still can't spell
    '79 Range Rover classic.

Now sadly sold.
    88" series 3"Littlemule"my first diesel.No more Landys, all sold

I have heard of some-one who actually made money out of these vultures, here's how....(This was about 5-6 years ago)

He also played along for about a month or so sending e-mails back and forth, always leading up to the actual transfer of what they wanted...

In the end he had them so eager (and of course their greed got the best of them) that he told them he was willing to send the bank details , letter of credit etc or what ever they wanted but the bank said there was a US$20 fee that had to be paid in the destination country (Nigeria) before they would progress to the next stage...

They paid the US$20...

The reply. Now time to bail out
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '79 Range Rover classic.

Now sadly sold.
    88" series 3"Littlemule"my first diesel.No more Landys, all sold

Jip now they are onto you....... What is your next step Bob, maybe an amount of Zim dollars to be paid to your account? Send them off with fake banking details....

I know FNB starts off with 62
    Standard with 01

Start the Bob account with 06 or something and create a fake account.....

Waste their greedy time......
    "Ability is what gives you the opportunity belief is what gets you there"

David Maritz
    Triton - Barberian!

Another one.......... check the spelling and email address it is a "govenrment institution and they use gmail?? Wow that is now something to believe......

CONTACT OUR REV DR. COLLINS THOMPSON

ATTN. SIR /MAN

WE THE WEST AFRICAN WORLD WIDE FEDERAL POLICE, based here in Nigeria, WISH to inform you that we have arrested some scammers; we therefore inform you that our
    Government has be approval a payment of $250,000.00. To all victims of scam like you. The Head WORLD WILDE Government in West African Nigeria arrested scammers and
    fraudsters by EFCC, which have been spoiling the Name of Africans most especially Nigeria, We have live jail for all the scammers and now all the money they have been stealing and scamming from innocent people like you has been approve to release to any of the VICTIMS, which they have scammed with any of this means.
    LOTTERY
    NEXT OF KINS
    LOAN OFFER
    COMPENSATION.....E.T.C
    To make the good Names of Africans, The Government of NIGERIA in particular have signed a payment of $250,000.00 (Two hundred and fifty thousand united state dollars only) which will be release to you through our Head Payment Zone office, ABUJA FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITARY OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.Note, that the mandated date issue for your payment, You have but only 24 days to claimed your approval payment compensation, after 24 days, unclaimed fund will be handling over to the Government of all west Africans.
    We have provided a respectable REVEREN Who is in charge of releasing your money to you, so that there will not be any cheating of any Wrong transfer of funds. You are
    therefore advice to contact a respectable person in charge REV DR. COLLINS THOMPSON immediately and claim your fund. EMAIL: [email protected]
    Regards
    Mrs. Rachael Mohammed
    "Ability is what gives you the opportunity belief is what gets you there"

David Maritz
    Triton - Barberian!

David, what are the phone numbers...
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 220 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Default Identity theft

Guys,

Just remember, they might not only be after your money. Identity theft is one of the biggest internet scammers priorities aswell. If they have your name, address and e-mail, they could probebly get more info and you know how much ingenuity these guys have...and just imagine what they can do with all that information.

When I get these I just delete without opening it. Just beware...
    Offroad junky
    '97 SsangYong Musso 602 EL exec
    '14 Citroen DS4 2.0 HDI swambo's platkar

Previously;
    '03 Nissan HB 3.0TD D/C 4x4
    '07 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4
    '16 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC XL Hi-Rider
    '12 Disco 4 SDV6 SE - Beauty
    '06 Disco 3 TDV6 S (De-cat, EGR blanked, remap, Johnson rods suspension rods, 285/65-R17 Kuhmo KL61) - Beast
    '04 Terracan 3.5 V6
    '96 Ssang Yong Musso 602 (non turbo manual)
    '04 Ford Ranger 2.5 TDI D/C 4x4 with Solid front axle and 33" Maxxis

12. The Following User Says Thank You to offroad junky For This Useful Post:

Default Local is Lekker

All this happening locally aswell. Couple weeks now been getting mail from "my friends" about Spier having a promotion. Send to 10 people and get case of whine for free.
    Tried phoning the contact numbers in the mail and both this and the reply mail are false.
    Just left it at that but could be interesting to follow up?

Francois Boerstra<br>Pretoria 2003 Prado 4l V6 VX Still standard
    Suzuki Alto
    Echo 3 trailer
    1969 VW Beatle still running.

Exclamation How genuine could this one be?

Got this one in my mail today! I just censored the ref. no.

Skype Awards Promo
    From The Desk Of The Promotions Manager
    International Promotions/Skype Award Center
    124 Stockport Road, Longsight,
    Manchester M60 2DB - United Kingdom
    Reference Number: 1xxxxxxxxx
    This is to inform you that you have won a prize money of Five Hundred Thousand Pounds(500,000,00.) for the month of May, 2008 Prize promotion which is organized by Skype AWARDS. The Skype collects all the email addresses of the people that are active online,among the millions that subscribed to various websites. Six people are selected monthly to benefit from this promotion and you are one of the Selected Winners.
    PAYMENT OF PRIZE AND CLAIM
    Winners shall choose from one of the payment option stated below:
    A] Bank Wire Transfer
    For this option, winners must provide the below stated information:
    (1) Bank Full Name:
    (2) Bank Full Address (including State and Country)
    (3) Bank Telephone Number
    (4) Bank Account Number
    (5) Name of Owner of Account
    (6) Swift Code
    (7) Charge of Transfer (C.O.T) - 650 (Must be paid before consignment transfer of funds)
    B] International Certified Cheque
    For this option, winners must provide the below stated information:
    (1) Your Full Name
    (2) Your Complete Mailing Address
    (3) A Scanned Copy of your I.D clearly showing your face. (Note that this I.D will be required to claim your parcel when it arrives your apartment).
    (4) Insurance Fee & Shipment charge of 252 (Must be paid before consignment dispatch)
    All funds must be claimed no later than 5 days from date of Draw Notification. Any prize not claimed within this period will be forfeited.Stated below are your identification numbers:
    Below you will find a Processing Form, requesting your required Particulars. Please provide all requested information to help us processs your claim in good time.
    Skype ONLINE PROCESSING FORM
    REFERENCE NUMBER:____________________________
    FULL NAMES:__________________________________
    ADDRESS:
    _________________________________________________C ITY:_________________________
    STATE:__________________________________ ZIP: _____________________ PHONE:/FAX__________________________________
    COUNTRY________________________________
    SEX:_______________
    MARITAL STATUS: _________________
    E-MAIL ADDRESS: _____________________________ NATIONALITY_________________________
    PAYMENT OPTION: [A]_________________ / [b]_______________
    Forms Should be returned to your claim agent with details below
    Agent Austine Hefner
    [email protected]
    Tel: +44-7045709816
    CONGRATULATIONS ONCE AGAIN

Yours in service
    Patricia Elsworth
    (Lottery Coordinator)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING!
    This Notification MUST remain confidential until your funds is successfully handed over to you to avoid disqualification that may arise from double claim. You may also receive similar e-mails from people portraying our image. This is solely to collect your personal information from you and lay claim over your winning. In the event you receive any e-mail similar to this notification letter we have emailed you, kindly delete it from your mail box and make no further correspondence to such persons or body.Skype shall not be held responsible for any loss of fund arising from the above mentioned.
    --
    I am not a complete idiot - there are still some parts missing
    Please don't send me a PM without direct contact details
    97 SVM 3000
    86 HiLux D/C

The worst thing is... people actually fall for these things.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

I've got a standard letter that I send to all the people who send me stuff like this, chain mails or "I'm your friend" e-mails. Lost a couple of acquaintances that way but what the hell.

Moderator note:

Balance of post deleted because of bad language and taste.
    Last edited by 4ePajero; 2008/09/19 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Swearing.
    Sometimes you gotta break it to make it

Quote Originally Posted by offroad junky View Post
    Guys,

Just remember, they might not only be after your money. Identity theft is one of the biggest internet scammers priorities aswell. If they have your name, address and e-mail, they could probebly get more info and you know how much ingenuity these guys have...and just imagine what they can do with all that information.

When I get these I just delete without opening it. Just beware...
    Be carefull there are more than one Nigerian in SA and believe it or not very powerfull people as well remeber they have a few goverment officials in their pockets as well.
    Rather not mess with them they make a descent honest living with all the 419 scams.
    Toyota Under Construction

Exclamation

Gents A word of warning here.

Busy reading a book Called McMafia: A Journey Through the Global Criminal Underworld by Misha Glenny

Now gents this book explains these different scams. When you open the mail it reads you computer and there are people sitting in Brazil, Moscow,China and many other places with the sole object to get into your computers. Now when you open up that mail it down loads a worm etc( not sure of exact term) so that it reads your keys so when yoU log on to pay your accounts etc Voila sie daar ek het jou NOU and they make small withdrawls of sy $50 at a time, that times a few mil simple ne.

SO DON'T OPEN STRANGE MAIL!!!!!
    "They do come True"
    75 CJ5 350 Chev Motor 33's 4" lift.
    The op is nearly finished
    96 Disco 1 V8
    "I am UNASHAMEDLY ETHICAL!!"

Default Scam mirth

Gents,

If you are ever feeling a bit depressed and want a huge laugh, there is a website that you can check out and you should soon be chuckling much better.

These guys make money from the scammers, get them to pose in various outfits, get wood carvings and all sorts sent from the scammers just to waste their time. One of the funniest was a scammer who had to draw an entire street guide to claim his money. It went on for months and months.

If you want a good laugh, check out all the w's dot 419eaterdotcom

They have a forum as well where you can get some free scams that people are too busy to play with.

Cheers,

Tok

well sad to report
    that someone who works in the same building fell for the 4x4 sms one

she was sent a sms that she won a Toyota land cruised............bla bla bla
    she responded to the sms, and then they started, eventually she paid R2000, for customs or something (havent seen her yet, only spoken to the guy who drove here around)

eventually they ended up at the airport, with a few more phone calls, was told to go to customs, where she was told its a scam!!

then the guys stopped ans the phone, when they phoned from another number, was told they sorry, and they are raising money for Ben Laden!!!

very sad story, single mother and does not earn much!!!

Default Wow!!!! I'm rich!!!!

Got this e.mail to-day. I've won 750,000 British Pounds. The best is I did not even enter a competition. I won it on my e.mail address. All I have to do is send my details to them.

Man, if this was just true!!!!! But just another scam.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast