Correct Oil Pressure reading on TD5 EMS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Correct Oil Pressure reading on TD5 EMS

Anyone with a Madman EMS can tell me what thier Oil pressure reading is at 3500RPM (hot)? The Manual states 1.5-3.0 Bar, mine is significatly above that. Want to see if it just me, mine goes between 3.5 and 4.5

Pressure at 3500 rev/min (hot)......................................... 1.5 - 3.0 bar (21.75 - 43.5 Ibf.in2)

2000 TD5 110 "The Gecko"
    1982 3.5 RRC "The Project"
    http://sites.google.com/site/projectrangie

I have psoted few queries on the web regarding higher than normal oil pressure. My Tdi went up to over 7 bar a few times. Nobody seem to mind. It is better than having low pressure.
    Sold Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top.
    Crank driven compressor http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42059

Sold: 2000 Discovery2 V8 Auto

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

Get more or less same readings on my TD5's EMS. At idle after long trip drops to 1.3bar. Startup cold 4 to 4.5bar. Hot at 2500 to 3500rpm = 3bar

7 bar seems way too high OB !

I have a EMS2 but with only the EGT connected. Can anyone please tell me where to find the oil pressure switch i need to connect it to?
    Defender 90 TD5
    1150GS Adventure
    '64 Beetle

The oil pressure switch is an on/off switch, connected to the oil light on your dash. If you want actual oil pressure you must fit an additional VDO sender on a T piece to acommodate the oil pressure switch and sender.

Not sure of Td5 but Tdi oil switch is fitted to the mounting bracket of the oil filter.
    You should also check if the madman can actually measure oil pressure,since some of them only do EGT

AndeXS yes it is way too high. After heating the oil up, especially after long highway strech, it promptly drop to 1.5bar I think it is the pressure release valve, I will have it looked at at the next service
    Sold Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top.
    Crank driven compressor http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42059

Sold: 2000 Discovery2 V8 Auto

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbzie View Post
    Anyone with a Madman EMS can tell me what thier Oil pressure reading is at 3500RPM (hot)? The Manual states 1.5-3.0 Bar, mine is significatly above that. Want to see if it just me, mine goes between 3.5 and 4.5

Pressure at 3500 rev/min (hot)......................................... 1.5 - 3.0 bar (21.75 - 43.5 Ibf.in2)

cold start = 3 bar
    hot 1.5 - 3.0 bar
    pressure relief valve opens at 4.0
    my gut feel says that the relief valve may be getting stuck if it goes over 4 bar.
    when last have you flushed the engine?
    pour in a bottle, drive 500km and drain while hot. fill with turbo diesel oil and new filter.
    once had an engine where the valve got stuck and the pressure climbed so high it blew thw oil filter off the motor!
    Last edited by Landyluvver; 2010/03/15 at 10:56 PM. Reason: adding

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Fitted a MadMan today to my Disco TD5. When hot at idle - oil pressure = 0.8 bar, driving at 2500RPM oil pressure = 2.5 bar.

Is this acceptable? Vehicle was serviced +- 5000km back.

at what revs is idle?
    what oil are you using?
    theoretically the oil pump can push pressure up to the point where she can explode as it is fitted with a positive displacement pump and excess pressure is bled off through the pressure relief valve.
    0.8 sound very low and oil of slightly higher viscosity may be beneficial.
    if you are running 10W40, 20W50 may be preferred.
    the fact that you are now monitoring points to the fact that you are observing things that simply would have been out of sight, out of mind.
    reacting to something like this could increase engine life by 50%.
    the spec calls for 1.5 to 3.0. i would try to get her to 1.5at idle.
    was your oil cooler disconnected like so many Td5's or still in place?
    the oil cooler will cool the oil increasing the viscosity.

Before thinking the engine is faulty, check your wiring. Make sure you have a good connection between your oil pressure sender and the unit. Also ensure the EMS is earthed to the engine block and not the chassis. Bad electrical connection will result in low/incorrect readings.

FYI the official specs for the TD5 oil pressure from the Hayes Manual is:

Idle speed (cold) 3.5 bar
    at 3500rpm (hot) 1-5 -> 3 bar

This is assume you have the right grade of oil. My idle speed when hot sits around 1.2-1.5 bar.
    2000 TD5 110 "The Gecko"
    1982 3.5 RRC "The Project"
    http://sites.google.com/site/projectrangie

Quote Originally Posted by Ignus C View Post
    I have a EMS2 but with only the EGT connected. Can anyone please tell me where to find the oil pressure switch i need to connect it to?
    Have a look here

http://www.madman.co.za/landroverkits.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TD5CA_fitted.jpg 
Views:	2556 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	69718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d700029.jpg 
Views:	6397 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	69719  

Land Rover 110 Td5
    Land Rover 90 Puma
    Series II 1968

verify the reading with a mechanical gauge. they are far more reliable and incorrect reading very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbzie View Post

I think that's a touch high.... my EMS2 reflects 3.5 bar at cold, 1 at idle when warm, and anywhere between 2.8 and 3.5 between 2500 to 3500 revs..

What I found, and don't shoot the messenger here because I don't understand the logic for it, but when using Caltex Delo 400 these are the readings I get....on other oil (when I bought the Defender) my readings were a bit lower.... thus is oil 'quality' an issue regarding these readings?

While higher pressure is better than lower, yours does appear too high based on my experience.
    Regards
    Dave

Dave B you are right. The higher spec oils retain the oil pressure better.

About the 7bar pressure and the likes. Sounds like that release valve is sticky or stuck. At those pressures, the oil filter canister can split it's seam. So be very careful of that kind of pressure. We didn't like using that kind of pressure on a race motor, because that pressure actually act as drag on the moving components.

Normally we liked about 3bar under full prolonged load. Max about 120degC
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by O.B. View Post
    I have psoted few queries on the web regarding higher than normal oil pressure. My Tdi went up to over 7 bar a few times. Nobody seem to mind. It is better than having low pressure.
    7 is way too high. check pressure relief valve.
    1 - 2 is fine on idle.

I also had a Madman EMS2 installed last week in my Td5 Defender.
    When idleing the oil presure is 0,9 when driving at about 2500 revs it Fluctuates between 2,5 and 3,0 bar.
    The problem is that a red warning light come on evertime I stop at a traffic light, as soon as the pressure drops to 0,9, after a couple of seconds the pressure goes to 1 bar and the light goes off.
    Is there a way that i can reset the unit that the light does only come on at 0,8 bar, it is anoying. My engine runs on SLX synthetic oil.

in my opinion there are 2 options.
    1) increase base idling by around 100 rpm. this should increase the oil pressure. recent studies have shown that engines commonly used in urban environment last much longer with marginally higher idling revs.
    2) from what i understand, the madman is programmable so you can set the upper and lower parameters.
    http://www.madman.co.za/downloads/EMS2.pdf

Thanks for the advise and link to the instruction manual.

I had a major service done by LandyonLineSA last week, will rather take it back Monday and ask to increase the base idling by around 100 rpm, and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanJvV View Post
    I also had a Madman EMS2 installed last week in my Td5 Defender.
    When idleing the oil presure is 0,9 when driving at about 2500 revs it Fluctuates between 2,5 and 3,0 bar.
    The problem is that a red warning light come on evertime I stop at a traffic light, as soon as the pressure drops to 0,9, after a couple of seconds the pressure goes to 1 bar and the light goes off.
    Is there a way that i can reset the unit that the light does only come on at 0,8 bar, it is anoying. My engine runs on SLX synthetic oil.
    Personally, I would reset the lower parameter to something that's more in line with your particular circumstances. I had this very briefly when I first installed my EMS2 and was using unknown oil...on changing to what must have been a higher spec oil (Delo 400) my pressure improved... I set my lower parameter to .7 bar.
    Regards
    Dave

ideally the minimum oil pressure should be 1 bar or more.
    by lowering the bottom limit you are simply applying a band aid to an underlying problem.

I used Magnatec for many years on my Tdi 300 and was always very happy with the results.
    I then fitted a Madman and saw my pressure hanging around 800 (sometimes lower) when oil is hot.
    I then changed to Delo 400 and the pressure, under the same circumstance, increased by around 200 and now I get a low reading of 1000.
    While this has helped somewhat, I still feel that this is low.
    I changed the oil pressure spring with a new one...still the same...I now feel that I must look at the oil pump.

300 Tdi 90" mmmm
    Disco 4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast